The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when my son and daughter in law and the 3 GKs got in for Thanksgiving late Wednesday night the first thing my oldest granddaughter says is she wants to shoot with me again. Music to my ears!

So while it rained yesterday, today was nice, so Rosalie and Bobo took the 1904 Winchester out back.

The BAD news (for her Dad😉)is it took a few bad misses even after moving up and some dejection on her part, I finally figured it out and did the dominant eye test and she’s left eye dominant! I turned her around and had her shoot left-handed and she started hitting.

THEN it got fun, teaching her breathing, trigger control, “6 o’clock” hold, Kentucky windage, (no windage adjustment on the sight). When I had her hold at 7 o’clock, bingo, bullseye! When she hit her next 3 or 4 in a row in the bull her smile was ear to ear, talk about from dejection to confidence! That’s what’s it all about!

But when I told my son he’d better start saving his money for all the custom left handed guns he would be buying her he said bull he’d have to train her out of it. (No he wasn’t a Marine, he was Army😎)

I think I have a shooting buddy. And she was even thrilled to help me clean the rifle, and was in awe that it was at LEAST 100 years older than she was. (They quit putting the brass concave butt on the 1904 in 1911, so it’s no less than 109 years old, and she’s 9!) I told her we take care of the rifle, she’ll be using it to teach her kids how to shoot it!

She’s also saving her target to show her friends. I’d bet she’s probably farther along in her rifle shooting than most other boys, even in PA where she lives now😉

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,570 Posts
I have taken my 2 grandsons and my granddaughter shooting a few times. My latest grandson will be 2 years old in January so he has yet to go out with grandpaw shooting. I hope I last long enough to take him out.

·
TFF Chaplain
19,689 Posts
Well done, grandpaw!!

Super job. Next task: reloading.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Took only grand daughter and one of her brothers to the range this afternoon...they both managed to go thru about 250 rounds of 9 mm, .45 ACP, and a box of .22 LR for my new Buckmark. As usual, Hannah bested her brother, he's been shooting since he was 7 or 8, and not a bad shot, Hannah has only been shooting maybe this was her 5th time, all this year, and she's FOCUSED! She is accurate at just about any distance, really enjoys shooting, and I will give her her first gun when her parents allow it.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s tough teaching left handed when you shoot right. But it stands to reason, my son and I are generally right handed but for some reason we both golf and used to bat and shoot hockey lefty. And it looks like the 3 year old just might be a full lefty. But it’s the left eye dominant thing that’s tough to work around. Unlike her we are both right eyed.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
No grandkids but I started my daughter out when she was fairly young. She has more or less lost interest in her teen years which is too bad because she was getting to be a pretty good shot.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best time to start them I’ve always thought was 8-9 or so depending on the kid. They are old enough to understand but still young enough to listen. By the time they get to be know-it-all-teenagers it’s much tougher. I always questioned the states back east that didn’t allow kids to hunt until like 14 or 16...if you wait until then to start teaching them you end up with a lot of unsafe hunters...

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Hannah was sorta cold to shooting when I took her last January...when I had an opportunity to get her some instruction, she really bloomed! Think I told the world how good she is after maybe three range sessions. She enjoys shooting now, and is very good..

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also let her shoot a .22 LR NAA mini revolver and after 2 shots that she missed the entire target from like 10 feet she said it was too loud and hurt her wrist, and that she liked shooting the rifle better.😎

I didn’t show her that I’d have probably missed with it from that range too...😊😉

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It's a blast to see someone grow as a shooter . Had some friends from church over shooting once , one a older lady thinking about CCW . She started with .22 and by time we all were done she was hitting good groups with my 44 mag revolver and grinning ear to ear !!!!

·
Premium Member
17,885 Posts
It’s tough teaching left handed when you shoot right. But it stands to reason, my son and I are generally right handed but for some reason we both golf and used to bat and shoot hockey lefty. And it looks like the 3 year old just might be a full lefty. But it’s the left eye dominant thing that’s tough to work around. Unlike her we are both right eyed.
Had the opposite problem. I'm left handed all the way, but right eye dominate. had to teach myself to shoot right handed. i do occasionally practice lefthanded shots. My main problem is keeping my right eye closed when i do. It's so dominate it wants to take over when i'm shooting lefthanded

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When we shot the “6 shots normal-reload- 6 shots-weak hand only” standards stages in IPSC I got accused more than once of being a lefty when an RO would see me score better the second time through one handed after the reload. But I canted my .45 about 45 degrees to the right to use my right eye left handed and since the .45 always recoils a little to the right anyway so you always shot left to right, it just swung even more naturally target to target, left to right, easier than two handed straight up.

·
TFF Chaplain
19,689 Posts
But it’s the left eye dominant thing that’s tough to work around. Unlike her we are both right eyed.
I'm left-handed, left-eyed. I have always shot long guns right handed, sighting through my right eye. I shoot hand guns left handed, left eyed. It just seems to me to be the natural way to do things. When shooting hand guns weak side, I shoot right handed. Feels strange. Then when shooting rifles from the left shoulder that feels strange.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My dad started me shooting at 8 YO. I taught my own two children how to shoot at an early age. My daughter is now 48 and my son is 46. Both are excellent marksmen and are accomplished hunters. We have taught my grandchildren to shoot and hunt also. I have my own range set up behind my storage barn where we can shoot up to two hundred yards. My shooting bench stays in the barn so we can move it to the open overhead door when we want to use it. My son lives next door to my house and my daughter lives one and a third miles away. Even though my daughter's children are 20 and 24 YO. and have moved out they come by and shoot with us on occasion. They both hunt and have bagged turkeys and deer.
My son has a daughter 16 and a son who is 10 YO. This past summer and fall they both got really interested in shooting. My Grandaughter has been hunting for the past three seasons. Although she has had opportunities she hasn't shot a deer until this season. She wanted her first deer to be a buck and a good one.
Two weeks ago she was hunting with my son and a nice buck walked out into a field on our property and laid down while watching some doe. My Grandaughter was patient and waited until the buck stood up. She took the shot with her .308 and downed the buck with a perfectly placed shot at 158 yards out of an enclosed blind with my son by her side. She bagged a 182# (dressed) 8 point buck. A trophy for her first deer IMO.
It was obvious all the practice she had had on the range paid a dividend. This head is going onto the wall.
Shooting and hunting are something we can all do together and enjoy. Grandma gets into the action too. We all have something in common. There is always a story to tell.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I shoot right handed and left eye dominate. I don't see the problem! When I shoot rifles I simply close my left eye, been doing that about 65 yrs now and no problem. Seem's there is a bunch about that on the internet and many people think if that's you, your handicapped in some way Nothing could be farther from the truth.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am looking for a left hand bolt action .22 for my son's girlfriend. She was trying to shoot with us this summer and actually did well holding the gun right handed but using her left eye to see through the scope with. Them in my stupidity I suggested she try using her right eye. My son spoke up and said, "Please don't tell her that". Then it dawned upon me she had to use her left eye as she is totally blind in her right eye from a childhood injury. I felt terrible. It didn't really seem to bother her much though. I apologized and said I'd help her out with that. As soon as I find a suitable left handed bolt .22 I will buy it for her so she can be more comfortable shooting with us. I know she'd like that.
A pump or lever action might work but I'm leery of a semi auto action.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't want to quote my own post. I got thinking more about this and I may have found a solution to my search. Both my son and I have Remington 552 semi-auto .22's. These have a deflector on the right side where the shell ejects and the cocking bolt or lever if you will is on the left side. This might work for her.
It will probably be spring before we know though.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
I did all this with my oldest Grandaughter when she came to visit this summer. (She lives across country). I waited for my son to take her and teach her but since she's 12 now it didn't look to me like he was ever going to do it. So I took up the job myself. I'm a firm believer that kids need exposure and teaching about guns at an early age. Even if they grow up and don't pursue guns or go shooting they need to know about them how to use them and especially how to be safe around them. Next will be my oldest Grandson who is already 10 and should have started several years ago. But better late than never.
Take a kid shooting and like fishing leave your guns at home. Only take his so you spend 100% of the time with him (or her).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts