When can I throw his mail away?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladimir, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

We kicked a wannabe drug dealer out of our house something like over a year ago... when can I stop the "return-to-sender" treatment and legally just throw his mail away? IIRC there are some ex/current postal employees here? I have heard there is a point where its no longer a felony to throw his mail away, but before I start I figured I should ask for sure :D

2. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I still receive mail for former tenants and I have lived at this location for over 5 years. I was told by the post office that I was not required to return mail for someone not in residence at my address. If you do so it is a courtesy. It is up to the individual that moved to file a change of address with the post office.

3. paulrw

paulrw New Member

Same boat here. We had a dead beat that we finally threw out. Come to find out she was a drunk loser. She never did change all her addresses. We still get mail for her. It gets tossed immediately and it's been almost a year and a half since she left.

4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I agree. Unsolicited mail is yours to do with as you will. Keep it, toss it, return it to sender, whatever.

5. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

I use mail that comes to my house from the last person that lived here to test home made flammable liquids, so far I have not gotten the results I am looking for though.

6. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave Member

File a change of address to General Delivery (nearest post office). That should do the job. You can do it on line.

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The Post Office will forward mail for a year, if a change of address is filed. If you get it and don't want it, just chunk it in the trash! There is something somewhere that says if you get unsolicited mail, it is yours to do with as you see fit.