When did we start reporting unemployment in terms of magnitude and not percentage?...

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by ponycar17, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Look, I realize that we're in dire economic times. That's a given. But dire, compared to what?... The last 10 years?... The last 30 years?...

I keep reading how the current unemployment ongoing claim number is the highest since 1983, indicating that we are truly in a monumentally dire state. What's getting missed is that there are approximately 315 Million people in the US in 2009, and only 230 Million or so in 1983. Yesterday I saw both Foxnews.com and CNN.com report this same gibberish liberal BS as if it meant something. Every news outlet is out for drama and ratings, regardless of what that does to consumer confidence and the rippling effects onto the US economy. :rolleyes:

You may ask why I'm ranting about the problem. Well, to put it in perspective... Suppose you're in a room full of people. 5 are unemployed. Now, that means a lot if the room is full of only 5 people but it's relatively insignificant if there are 100,000 people in the room. Statistics matter, and that's why the unemployment RATE is published and not the sheer magnitude as an economic indicator. Because all the news agencies are reporting that the continuing unemployment claims are the highest since 1983, let's look a little deeper. If there are roughly 35% more people in the US than there was in 1983, that makes the unemployment rate 27% LOWER than 1983 if the magnitude of ongoing claims remains the same.

Sorry, that's my tirade for the moment. Discuss....

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

Re: When did we start reporting unemployment in terms of magnitude and not percentage

Excellent points, ponycar....I agree with you.

3. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Re: When did we start reporting unemployment in terms of magnitude and not percentage

Well the mainstream media certainly doesn't want to bother the average nonthingking Joe with anything as complicated as that. So they just dress it up in terms of "impending doom that will be averted by our great new messiah Barry":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Very few people that watch the news anymore actually THINK for themselves.

4. gaowlpoop

gaowlpoop New Member

Just for talking numbers, lets say the "reported" unemployment rate is 9%. If you factor in the unemployable and the ones that just flat out will not work you have about a 4% unemployment. Around 5% is the lowest the unemployment rate ever gets, even in times when jobs are going unfilled.

5. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

The news, ahhhh, I'm so disappointed.

Thank God there are people that can see the obvious and have no fear to point it out.

6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I haven't watched a mainstream news broadcast voluntarily for over twenty-five years !!!