The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was my grandfathers. Serial number 85612. I think its a 38. Not so much concerned about value. It's in rough shape. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry, it's a top break revolver. The serial number I gave is from the left side of the grip frame under the grip. It looks to be a 38 caliber. It holds 5 rounds. The first character of the serial # is chopped off at the bottom. It's definitely an 8. No letters. The gun is not a hammerless model.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Sorry, it's a top break revolver. The serial number I gave is from the left side of the grip frame under the grip. It looks to be a 38 caliber. It holds 5 rounds.
If you're sure there's no letter prefix to the serial under grip, it's an antique made 1894-95.

To be certain, also list patent dates and where marked, and if exposed hammer or hammerless.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's an exposed hammer model. There is writing on top of the barrel but I couldn't read it. The barrel is rusty with no nickel plating remaining. The cylinder is about 50%. The frame has plenty of nickle left on it. I have a couple of photos here. The gun is not with me now so I can't get any more photos.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Thanks for the pics but unfortunately they added questions:

With those patent dates it's not an 1894-95 antique, but according to the book, except for a few later special order guns all hammer models made after 1895 had letter serial number prefixes.

The first year listed with those 5 patent dates is 1899, but marked on barrel rib with company address, and first year the patent dates were marked on end of the butt was 1903.

My WAG is that addition of the letter prefix was overlooked during manufacture, and it's a black powder model made in 1903-04 (In 1905 only 2 patent dates were used).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks hrf! I think the gun has patent dates on the barrel rib, but I didn't take the time to try and make them out. The only words I could make out at a glance were Iver Johnson. I wonder if the barrel has been replaced since there is no nickel left on it. Just doesn't seem to match up. I would think the plating would wear off the grip first. I seem to have something interesting at least. Well, my grandmother does anyway. Please, let me know if you find out anything else.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
There should not be patent dates both places. When you have a chance remove the cylinder and look for a serial number on underside of top strap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe I'm wrong about the patent dates on the barrel. There is quite a bit of writing there. I just didn't look at it hard.

Is it possible this was a special order gun?

I will check that number under the top strap next time I get a chance. I saw it, thought about writing it down, but didn't.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I doubt a serial number that high would be a special order, and the only examples shown in the book are much later models, with special grips, extra long barrels, etc. with 2, 3, or 4 digit serial numbers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, Got a few more photos. There not clear. I had someone else take them and text them to me.

Under Top Strap

Right Side

Left Side

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what I thought. That first character I think is an A. Anyway, It's not even close.

So we have what is probably a 1903-1904 2nd model black powder only with missing letter prefix and mismatched barrel? Correct?

And in this condition I doubt it would be worth more than $50. What do you think? My grandmother got real excited when I told her it was an antique (before I knew it wasn't). I told her it wasn't worth much anyway but I'd like an estimate because she doesn't seem to believe me.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
That's what I thought. That first character I think is an A. Anyway, It's not even close.

So we have what is probably a 1903-1904 2nd model black powder only with missing letter prefix and mismatched barrel? Correct?

And in this condition I doubt it would be worth more than $50. What do you think? My grandmother got real excited when I told her it was an antique (before I knew it wasn't). I told her it wasn't worth much anyway but I'd like an estimate because she doesn't seem to believe me.

Thanks again!
I agree with both description and value.

And it seems odd that such a rusty barrel was mated to a pretty decent looking frame and cylinder.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts