When was my revolver made?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Joseph B, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Joseph B

Joseph B New Member

I have a US Revolver Co. pistol with a serial number of 33546. I believe it was manufactured between 1910 and 1913. Would you be able to identify the year of manufacture? Thanks. (Its non-working. The cylinder is missing.)

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

please give more information. is it a solid frame or top break? what is the serial number found under the grips on the left side of the grip frame (remove the grip to see)? what caliber is it?

bill

3. Joseph B

Joseph B New Member

I will check into that after I get home. I believed there was a serial number under the hand grip, because I saw a photo in here of another US Revolver pistol. However, I believed it would be the same as the one stamped under the trigger guard, so I didn't remove that plastic piece. (I didn't want to damage what might be fragile.)

When I looked at it, I suspected it to be a .32 caliber, but don't know for sure. Not knowing what a "top break" is, I can't say for sure. But it appears to be a solid frame. (It doesn't open along the top at all.)

Thanks for responding.

4. Joseph B

Joseph B New Member

Yes, it's the same serial number as is stamped under the trigger guard. (#33546) It appears to be a .38 caliber. I would appreciate any information as to the date of manufacture.

Thanks!

5. Joseph B

Joseph B New Member

(As background, I was just given the revolver by a descendant of a miner said to have been killed in the "Cliftonville Mine Riot" (WV) of 1922. The story is it was used in that riot. Date of manufacture would at least show that it was in existence then. I plan to donate it to a historical display.

6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

U.S. Revolver Co. Double Action, large solid frame 38 S&W caliber, serial number 33546 (no letter code on left side of frame) was manufactured in 1914.

U.S. REVOLVER CO. DOUBLE ACTION-----------------------------1911-1935
    This revolver was manufactured by Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works for sale through mail order catalogs. Like the top break version it was never listed in any Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works catalog. Features an unfluted cylinder and round barrel in all lengths, grip panels are hard rubber with U S at the top; oversize two piece hard rubber grips were also offered. Offered in three frame sizes and four calibers, the standard barrel length was 2 ½ inches on all frame sizes. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, medium frame .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds, cylinder capacity: Weight: small frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 10 ½ ounces, medium frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 12 ounces, large frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 17 ounces; Height: small frame 3 3/8 inches, medium frame 3 ½ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 inches, medium frame 4 ¼ inches, large frame 4 7/8 inches; Overall length: small frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 6 inches, medium frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 6 1/8 inches, large frame with 2½ inch barrel 6¾ inches.
    DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION;
    VALUE; 100%=$125 60%=$75

bill

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  7. Joseph B

Joseph B New Member

Thanks, loads, Bill. This information is very helpful. I will use extracts of it relating to that one revolver in my description. (Especially including the year of manufacture.) Very helpful!

Joe