The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lived through the last primer shortage and it was horrible. My recollection is that it did not spread to powders, brass or bullets, however.

This time everything seems in very tight supply.

Since everything is impacted, I assume the supply shortage is much worse than anything we have ever seen before and, therefore, it will continue for many many months, if not longer....

I was hoping a few weeks ago that supplies would rebound but that did not happen and it is much worse now.

· Banned
2,751 Posts
I lived through the last primer shortage and it was horrible. My recollection is that it did not spread to powders, brass or bullets, however.

This time everything seems in very tight supply.

Since everything is impacted, I assume the supply shortage is much worse than anything we have ever seen before and, therefore, it will continue for many many months, if not longer....

I was hoping a few weeks ago that supplies would rebound but that did not happen and it is much worse now.
The shortage will continue until supplies and components are Banned.

· Registered
2,098 Posts
After Obama's first election, (at Sportsmans here in Alaska), powder, primers, bullets, ammo, all supplies were gone, shelves empty. Within 6 months, the shelves were stocked back up over flowing and you could get anything you wanted. I figure this time might be worse, but I'm told no way; it's all being driven by panic buying. Lots of gun owners out there, a good sign; imagine what would occur if they said register your guns, ha ha.

The mail order houses continue to get supplies in. I found Barnes TTSX bullets at Midway yesterday; everybody had been completely out for weeks.

Best bet is to pay a little higher price and back order. Sin/Bro will do this for ya if you are reasonable. I know people who back ordered items from magazines to brass to bullets and they got them in within a month. When you back order, you are at the top of the list when supplies arrive, they send ya an email. Or you can wait around for 6 months. Who knows what it'll be like in 6 months.

· Registered
890 Posts
Some are talking several months before it starts to catch up now. Berry's bullets has announced that they are not taking any more orders til further notice. They just can't catch up with the orders they have. Looking on line and in local stores for anything that says 9mm (xcpt 95 gn) or 223/5.56 just finds everything saying "out of stock". Few say "Back orderable". Shelves are bare in the stores. There are people waiting in line at the stores every morning waiting to buy everything that came in overnight. Some of these "buyers" are what I call "gougers" stocking their own stores or stocking up to sell at the next gun show. The rest of us are left not able to replace anything we shoot. I know people that have bought brand new 22s and 9mm that can't shoot because they can't find ammo. My buddy bought a 10-22 yesterday and while we were there about 20 people came to counter and asked if there was any 22 or 9mm. Of course there wasn't. We stopped at a small store that usually has some ammo and found the four 50 rnd boxes of 22lr they had were marked $8.48. We didn't buy it.
Until the hoarders run out of money/space and we quit buying at the gouger's prices this mess will continue.:mad:

· Registered
19,158 Posts
i've actually cut back to almost a stop on relaoding.. just saving what supplies I have on hand.

used to load up 50-60 of a few rifle calibers to do weekly range work. have stopped loading since jan1

· Registered
3,313 Posts
Primers are available, while not plentiful here in the area. I don't have any trouble picking up a couple thou LP or SP at any of the local shops. All of the component places in the area have sufficient to handle their customers. I even picked up a thousand of my favorite cast bullets from a local caster for under $60!

I am not trying to hoard any of the items, just trying to keep my normal stock of powder, primers and cast bullets on hand.

Maybe the end of the shortage is in sight.

· Banned
10,146 Posts
Just get what you want on backorder and wait.

I did and i am starting to get things in now. You dont backorder you may never get it.

just like the bozo said 10% unemployment is the norm now so is backordering your stuff.

· Registered
1,327 Posts
Supplies will stabilize by mid summer. Prices may be a different story. Finding components in stock is possible at this time if you remain in constant watch with the distributers. I just recently found 10k primers, an 8lbs & 1lb of h4895, 4lb of WST and bullseye. The local sportsmans warehouse had 10k each of win large rifle and pistol on the shelf. If you need components bookmark your favorite online supplier and watch, ALOT.

· Registered
546 Posts
To quote Pogo (Oyou young whippersnapper can look him up-lol)We have met the enemy and they iz us.

Panic buyers and hoarders are the reason supplies are in critical shortage for everyone else. NO President will successfully stop production of guns, ammo or components as long as there are elected officials who know their constituents will vote their sorry keester out of their cushy jobs if they mess with gun rights.

But that reality didn't stop the last foolish 'run on the bank' and the recent events have simply scared a lot of others into becoming a panic buyer fearing the worst that will actually never come.

At some point folks will see that yet again the sky did not fall and accept that their 10 year supply of powder and primers should last them the next four.

· Premium Member
22,056 Posts
My son and I want to start reloading. We were able to get the dies and press. Cant get the primers. Powder and bullets are out there but no primers. As soon as we can get primers we can start.

· Registered
1 Posts
Been watching prices from dealers. Most are still the same as before. Just cannot get any in stock. Drives me crazy watching the prices for Varget on *********. 8# for nearly $400. I guess they have more money than sense. I guess it puts them in the same catagory as the gas companies. Now I can get off the soap box.

· Registered
9,391 Posts
So far a whole lot of people I know are planning large ammo purchases with their tax returns. I would imagine that over this tax season we will see a whole lot more empty shelves because people are panic buying and still hoarding. I bet most of this year will see modtly empty shelves.

· Registered
84 Posts
Think about it this way, the President wnats tighter gun control, basicaly he wants to ban them. how much money does the government have? do you really think they can fight several billion dollar companies. think of all the gun companies, all the ammo companies. all the firearms actavists. then you look at this, many of the congressman hold high percentage of stock in the firearms industry. They are not going to take a chance of loosing a great deal of money. All this is is polotics. then if the President wants to allow the use of medical records, well that violates HIPPA, and Saint Jude has already told all of congress they will fight that with everything they have. along with all the other health faciliteis. The government does not have the recources to fight this, and they know it. they think if they create mass histeria then they can slip somethin under the radar.

sometimes the best defense is to sit back and think about the situation. We have to be ready to act, not react.

· Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I live in NY. It did not cost the NY government much money to require background checks for ammo purchases and to ban all auto guns with +7 capacity on 1/15/13 and to also require registration of AWs.

the NY law will take years to overturn in the courts and nothing is guaranteed.

· Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did not think it could get any worse. I went to my LGS Saturday and then looked at Powder Valley cite.

Basically, nothing is left - the shelves are completely empty.

Obama's speech to the nation on gun control is Tuesday. UHG!

That will surely put a scare into EVERYONE!

Boo!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.