Where can I get some BP ammo?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Bopper, May 7, 2009.

1. Bopper

Bopper New Member

I have a 1898 H&R top break revolver, it takes 32 S&W BP cartridge. The gun was purchased new by my Great Grandfather.

I had a gunsmith look it over and he said it is in great condition and he "would not hesitate to shoot it", I may let him take the first shot with it because it is old, and I value my hands.

I have been told that I will have to have custom ammo made for me. I found online: Stars and Stripes Ammo, they said they can make some for me for $39./50 rounds, but they are on Vacation untill May 15.

Are you aware of any place else I can get some of this type of ammo?

2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I'm not sure about that caliber, but I found GOEX .45lc BP shells at Cabela's, right on the shelf.

3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

4. he-bear

he-bear New Member

5. Bopper

Bopper New Member

Right after I made my post, Stars and Stripes must have seen it, because they called me and said their Vacation is over, so I bought a box from them.

I am nervous about shooting the old gun though, any advice before I pull the trigger?

Maybe special gloves or those metal shark gloves?

6. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Well, if the gunsmith would shoot it, it should be fine.

7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You could tie it to an old car tire (if you have an outdoor place to shoot it) or clamp it in a vice (if an indoor range), and shoot it from some distance off using a piece of string, for the first couple of shots, if you are really that nervous.

8. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

www.ows.com ( old western scronger) i think still has bp ammo in various calibers

9. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

10. Bopper

Bopper New Member

I called H&R, they told me to call Old West Scroungers, and Old West told me to call Stars & Stripes. Thanks for your help. I will post up if and when I shoot the H&R.

11. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

If he says it's safe, I'd not be overly concerned. I recently fired an 1863 Sharps carbine (was retooled in the late 1860's for .50-70 BP cartriges) using some rounds we hand loaded. Got the brass and bullets from midwayusa, loaded with GOEX BP and shot - zero problems. That's what it was designed for.