Where did the money go?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rhmc24, Nov 14, 2017 at 12:16 PM.

1. rhmc24

rhmc24 Well-Known Member

In WW2 the U.S. was a closed economy with minimal foreigh commerce. We paid a huge military & built airplanes, ships & other materiel to supply them. This was paid for by the gov't printing money & by selling War Bonds to the people. After the war the bonds were redeemed.

The question has always been, where did the money go that was spent? Being in the oil biz I understand that it is pumped somewhere & physically used up; burned. Not so with money that moves & seems to disappear but for sure still continues to exist somewhere. Inflation is part of the answer; prices, the price of a new car tripling pre/post war.

My Father had bought a piece of biz property in 1932 & never paid a dime on the principal but kept up the 3% interest, which he paid off with his WW2 earnings.

If anyone can explain in a paragraph or two or cite a source of info, I'd appreciate ---->

Clipper, Conman, bbirder and 3 others like this.
  2. RichR

RichR Active Member

Ever see the worth of Congress members, go in with not much and most are millionaires now.

3. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Where did the money go? Bankers and Politicians. Pretty much the standard answer to any missing money mystery.

Twicepop, Conman, jbmid1 and 5 others like this.
  4. bbirder

bbirder Active Member

They say "Follow the Money"
    but
    That's not always easy to do with the detours and dead-ends.

5. tedwitt

tedwitt Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is a good question, my great grandfather bought warbonds for WW1, he never cashed it in, nobody knows where it is, I think it was a $20.00 bond back then, it could be worth a bunch now.

6. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

I know I didn't get any. :)

rhmc24, gdmoody and joe45c like this.
  7. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

The real question is where did the money come from. Paper from a printing press, trickled down from the Companies to the workers, some of that went to war bonds, another type of paper to be redeemed later. Paper dollars circulated through again as more was produced. Only a small percentage could ever be redeemed for gold at anytime, determined by Federal Reserve. So,as long as there is confidence that the money will work, the game can continue. I think super rich bankers could supply gold to the Fed. Take interest payments on it(more paper), and thereby increase the total pot.

bbirder, rhmc24 and joe45c like this.
  8. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

All of the aforementioned money and let's move several decades into the future. What happened the all the money tied to the $800 billion dollar "stimulus bill", or the $11 billion dollars that was unaccounted for when the GM "bail-out" was decreed to be "paid off" by Barry Soetoro.

rhmc24 likes this.
  9. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

See post #3. Nothing ever changes It's where all money goes.

rhmc24 likes this.
  10. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Well-Known Member

That $800 million in Porkulous money went to foreign banks - The Bank of Scotland got a bunch, I recall reading, as did several others. Remember, "our" banks are all international now, and often headquartered abroad. That money is GONE. We will never see it again.
    The obama misadmiistration committed Grand Larceny on a galactic level. He made the entire Mafia look like pikers.
    The Clinton Crime Cabal's "Foundation" is small potatoes compared to what that illegal African perpetrated upon us.

Crpdeth, Twicepop and rhmc24 like this.