The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I have owned this press for a few months now and during the first several runs I sat on a stool to the left of the press. This is OK but you can't monitor (see) what is going on in Station #1 very well.

After some frustration with this, I moved my stool to the right of the press and this seems somewhat better. The only issue now seems to be the long reach that is needed to seat bullets in Station #3.

Sitting directly in back of the press is the worst seating position I believe.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I own a XL650. But like all my other presses, I prefer to stand while I operate them. Yes, it gets tiresome, so some breaks are needed. But, doing it that way allows me to be more flexible in my position related to the press.

I also dont use those fancy roller handles either, as I believe the ball handle allows me to operate the lever from different angles and not from directly in front of the press.

I built my bench extra high to avoid stooping as well. So far I am very happy with how I do it. I bet the others who own the 550's will be along shortly to tell you how they do it.

G

·
I used to sit. Then my back would start to hurt because I had to stretch up to see what was going on and then bend over to operate the press. Now I have my presses mounted so that I can stand. Standing is much better for your back and your loading esp with a 550 or 650.

Let me ask you this... Do you have it mounted to the bench directly or do you have a strong mount?

If you don't have a strong mount I would really encourage you to invest the $65 in getting one. I would also say get the bullet tray as well comes in very handy for holding bullets or screws when you are working on the press or a gun.

If you want a more ergonomic handle Check out inline Fab at http://www.inlinefabrication.com/. Everyone that has his stuff raves on how good it is.

·
Super Moderator
41,382 Posts
I mounted mine a little high so the "strong mount" would be way too high for me. I stand up when using mine, usually just to the left side so I can see down into every cast after the powder drops.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Moving to the strong mount helped me immensely. I sit on a stool, as my back just won't allow me to stand for any extended periods.

My stool is in about the 6:30 position.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Don't mean to highjack this thread, but could someone with a 550 on a strong mount do me a big favor and measure the distance from the top of the bench to the handle? My 550 is on backorder, and I'd like to build my bench before it gets here, but I'm not sure how tall to build it. The bench height will be dependent upon how high the handle will be.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I sit on a tall stool at 6:30-7 ish. Have a small reading light behind the press on the
left, shining down into the cases at the bullet seating station to check powder level.
I don't even look at station 1. It's pretty much by feel. Grab a case with right hand,
grab a bullet with left hand, set case in station 1, glance at powder level and set bullet,
pull handle. Index and repeat.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Just like Bill, I sit slightly to the left of center so I can just put my right hand out and lay it on the ball handle. I sit by the way just because when I reload it's generally a session of 3-4 hours at a time and I don't see any need to stand that long at one time. No strong mount, bolted right to the bench.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have the Strong Mount and sit or stand to the left of the press, and have no problem seeing all the stations.

G

·
Don't mean to highjack this thread, but could someone with a 550 on a strong mount do me a big favor and measure the distance from the top of the bench to the handle? My 550 is on backorder, and I'd like to build my bench before it gets here, but I'm not sure how tall to build it. The bench height will be dependent upon how high the handle will be.
To the bottom of the handle or to the top of the handle?

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
I sit on a stool (24 inches high) using a bench (34 inches high) with the RL550B mounted on the bench top directly. I sit behind the press with enough clearance for the handle to move down without hitting my leg. I use the roller handle as I found the ball eventually hurt my hand after hours of reloading.

As to watching the press, I make sure the case is well seated in the shell plate at station one and that the shell plate is clicked into its detent before pulling the press handle. I watch the powder measure to make sure it travels and I accurately place the bullet into the case at station three, holding it there until it enters the seating die.

I am not overly concerned about the powder level in the case as I use mostly ball powders. In 25+ years of using this press and many thousands of rounds of pistol and rifle cartridges it has reloaded, I have yet to have a squib load or an over load of powder.

I am sensitive to the feel of the press after all these years of using it and can tell if the primer is not fully seated or somehow got seated wrong. There is a lot happening on any progressive press so I stay focused on reloading with no distractions and never stop for a break with anything left on the press's shell plate.

I use the electronic sounder on the primer tube to assure it is not empty and watch the powder level in the powder reservoir. In the first ten rounds of any session for a particular caliber cartridge I will make sure the COL is correct then I may not measure it again for a hundred rounds or so. Once set I never find it any different.

LDBennett

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I moved my stool back to a position just left of the center. This is comfortable but it is not the best for viewing all stations.

The strong mount is functional.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The bench height will be dependent upon how high the handle will be.
I read somewhere that the rule-of-thumb is to have the bench just tall enough to rest your forearms on the top when you are standing up in the position you will use the press. Can anyone confirm that?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Kevin,
That's kind of what I did. Have the bench at 42", The norm is 36". I use a bar stool to sit in when I load. My 550 is mounted directly on bench. I find myself standing alot. When I sit, I put my bar stool on a 6" platform so I'm above press and can see the powder in the case at stage two. It works. If I hadn't made the bench so sturdy I would lower a little. May do it some day......Nah, Probably not, It would take half a day and would need help. Not to mention the finish and stain I did to it once assembled

1 - 18 of 18 Posts