The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive only shot a few guns in my life. The though of owning one has never really crossed my mind

Anyhow im a beginner looking to get into the hobby of target shooting with an AR15. Talking to another coworker at work today about his and it has been something ive wanted to do

Doing my research now on everything, came here looking for advice on what beginner brands would you rec? Id say budget would be 400-750~ Usd

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Prices have been sky high but they're starting to come down. I doubt you'll find anything for under 700.00 tho. We have a S&W Sport II and a Ruger AR 556. Both are dependable and accurate. The trigger on the S&W is a little better than the Ruger. Ammo is still about a dollar a round.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Radical and Anderson are both selling in your price range, I have had very good experiences with Anderson, and have not heard anything bad about Radical that did not involve operator error (aka) lack of maintenance. PSA should be in your price range, as stated prices are coming down, I have seen starter guns for as low as $499, don't forget you will most likely need to buy an optic or at least a set or iron sights at this price point.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Military camouflage Air gun Machine gun Trigger Camouflage

HighlandsPatriot, do you mean Radikal? I have one of their Semi-Auto Shotguns. Radikal SA1.

I second the Ruger in that entry level price range. I have one and really like it. (Vortex Strikefire II Optic.)

The middle one in the photo.

Reactions: Fletch.N

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just curious, what state are you in? The reason I ask is that someone might know of a manufacturer nearby that they can point you to. For instance, I have a manufacturer just a few miles from me and at any time I can stop in and buy a pre-made rifle off the wall or have one custom made to my specs. I know what I want, but you'd need to discuss it with them. But if they build guns that's what they do.

Since you're basically brand new to firearms, starting with a .22 rimfire might be a good way to start. Or better yet go to a shooting range, strike up a conversation, and take it from there. Be honest and tell them right up front that you're brand new and ask questions. We like to discuss shooting. I haven't met a shooter yet that didn't. Get some safety instruction at the same time. Maybe you can try before buying. You could also ask your buddy for the same favor. You might not like shooting, but frankly it's been my experience that those who don't like shooting have never done it.

Something else to consider are other firearms that aren't AR-15s. If you plan to use the rifle for home defense if you touch off the .223/5.56 chambered AR once indoors you aren't going to want to do it twice. But a pistol caliber carbine can be fired indoors and all you get is noise and not the eardrum pain from the blast. Lots of things to consider. But I always suggest a PCC if someone plans to use the firearm for home defense. BTW, it's OK to discuss that stuff here. You may be uncomfortable discussing it but we aren't. The more open you are about your needs the better we can help.

If it's for HD, IMO the worst thing to get is a handgun. They are the most difficult firearm to use, and if used every bullet has a lawyer attached to it. You want the bullets to hit the target and stay in it. Yeah, I know hellyweird always shows HD and a handgun. They also call cartridges bullets too. Handguns require practice and lots of it. They are NOT as easy to use as one sees on TV or the movies.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just curious, what state are you in? The reason I ask is that someone might know of a manufacturer nearby that they can point you to. For instance, I have a manufacturer just a few miles from me and at any time I can stop in and buy a pre-made rifle off the wall or have one custom made to my specs. I know what I want, but you'd need to discuss it with them. But if they build guns that's what they do.

Since you're basically brand new to firearms, starting with a .22 rimfire might be a good way to start. Or better yet go to a shooting range, strike up a conversation, and take it from there. Be honest and tell them right up front that you're brand new and ask questions. We like to discuss shooting. I haven't met a shooter yet that didn't. Get some safety instruction at the same time. Maybe you can try before buying. You could also ask your buddy for the same favor. You might not like shooting, but frankly it's been my experience that those who don't like shooting have never done it.

Something else to consider are other firearms that aren't AR-15s. If you plan to use the rifle for home defense if you touch off the .223/5.56 chambered AR once indoors you aren't going to want to do it twice. But a pistol caliber carbine can be fired indoors and all you get is noise and not the eardrum pain from the blast. Lots of things to consider. But I always suggest a PCC if someone plans to use the firearm for home defense. BTW, it's OK to discuss that stuff here. You may be uncomfortable discussing it but we aren't. The more open you are about your needs the better we can help.

If it's for HD, IMO the worst thing to get is a handgun. They are the most difficult firearm to use, and if used every bullet has a lawyer attached to it. You want the bullets to hit the target and stay in it. Yeah, I know hellyweird always shows HD and a handgun. They also call cartridges bullets too. Handguns require practice and lots of it. They are NOT as easy to use as one sees on TV or the movies.
First off ty all to who replied! I have a lot to sict through

And for your question im in Iowa. I have a Scheels where Im more than likely going to purchase from. Kinda want a AR15, strictky for going out with buddies and having some fun.
There has been a lot of recommendations, I saw a M&P 15-22 Sport 22LR for 450$ on Scheels site? Any comment on that

and yeah im definitely buying a red dot sight to start off, need to price those out and a front hand grip if thats legal

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
First off ty all to who replied! I have a lot to sict through

And for your question im in Iowa. I have a Scheels where Im more than likely going to purchase from. Kinda want a AR15, strictky for going out with buddies and having some fun.
There has been a lot of recommendations, I saw a M&P 15-22 Sport 22LR for 450$ on Scheels site? Any comment on that

and yeah im definitely buying a red dot sight to start off, need to price those out and a front hand grip if thats legal
The S&W 25/22 is a good little rifle. Excellent understudy for an AR. 22lr is cheaper than anything so that is a real plus. Later if you decide to get a 5.56 AR the controls and ergonomics will be familiar. At that time don’t trade or sale the 15/22, keep it for cheap practice. Besides everyone should have at least on 22LR in their locker. And as others have pointed out it really is the best place to start.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Right on. Sorry for all the typos was on my phone and just woke up!

The S&W 25/22 is a good little rifle. Excellent understudy for an AR. 22lr is cheaper than anything so that is a real plus. Later if you decide to get a 5.56 AR the controls and ergonomics will be familiar. At that time don’t trade or sale the 15/22, keep it for cheap practice. Besides everyone should have at least on 22LR in their locker. And as others have pointed out it really is the best place to start.
Oh, no that was a .22 caliber. Just realized that, that one wont work haha. Want that 556 or 223 ammo. Man I need to read harder

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
These days, you can get a complete Palmetto State Armory lower and upper separately for $440, prior to shipping and dealer transfer fees. It comes with a Magpul backup sight that's $50+ if you purchase it separately. All you need then are magazines.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts

Here, this was in my email on Friday, I think.

The upper link...

The lower link...

What they call a "blem" is likely not noticeable by you. It's all I order in their lowers and some uppers. They shoot great and are reliable. They're all mil-spec... Nothing special... They have a store near me, so transfers are free. That's why I started using them, but their stuff is actually very good and I continued using them for AR stuff.

·
Registered
8,378 Posts
Oh, no that was a .22 caliber. Just realized that, that one wont work haha. Want that 556 or 223 ammo. Man I need to read harder

Today it is still possible to FIND .22 ammunition to shoot with. No so much .223 or 5.56mm. May well be that sometime in the near future your buddies will be standing by and watch YOU shoot because they have no ammo and you do. Just getting into shooting is a great place to start with a .22. Seems you want to go with the AR platform? Get a good .22 and start off there. Then get yourself a decent 5.56mm AR to impress your buddies when ammo is here and Dopey is gone.

Hang onto that .22 AR after you get your 5.56mm. Good chance that there will be days when the only person you want to impress is yourself, and a couple boxes of .22 ammo will make a lot more sense and cost a bunch less than 5.56mm (and be just as fun!).

·
Registered
303 Posts
Flavortown, if those prices appeal to you your gun dealer will handle the transfer. But talk to them first to make sure.

What happens is that the local dealer sends a copy of their FFL to the out of state dealer. You pay the out of state dealer for what you want and have it shipped to your local dealer. He makes the transfer to you. What does your local dealer get out of it? They will charge you a fee for doing the paperwork. It might sound complicated, but it isn't and it's done all the time.

I'm pretty sure, since it's the AR platform that you could buy one lower and use it on a .22 upper, then pull 2 pins and swap it with a 5.56 upper. That makes having the capability of 2 cartridges more affordable.

Federally a vertical foregrip on a rifle is legal. I have no idea what your state law is. Your local dealer would know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would say build your own but the quality of LPK has gone down drastically. I still trust Aero Precision and SOLGW but several places sold me incomplete or out of spec parts. Think I have bought 5 that were that way from several vendors but I won't mention names incase it violates any rules.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts