The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
My wife put a Ruger AR 556 on layaway at the LGS. Instead of boxing up the one she actually looked at they got one already boxed out of the back. They were really busy when we got it out of layaway so she didn't open the box until we got home. It was missing the forward assist. Took it back and they swapped a complete upper off of another rifle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tell us so that we don't make the same mistake. You can mention the names but links are not really allowed.
Worst ones are Joe Bon outfitters , been burned enough times that I refuse to buy another one from them. The bolt catch and mag release were out of spec to a point the BC was unusable, the little point that catches the BCG wouldn't catch it was too short. The mag release was super gritty and the spring was bad. Also didn't get the pins for the pins that lock the receivers together. I have lots of spares of this stuff but for a newbie it could be a headache.

PSA also sold me a complete kit with no springs at all but they made it right. The next kit I bought was gtg.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Oh, no that was a .22 caliber. Just realized that, that one wont work haha. Want that 556 or 223 ammo. Man I need to read harder
To this day I don`t understand buying an AR in RF only and then buying a second one for 556.
As Spock would say..."It`s not logical"
I disagree why have a transformer gun when for the same money often less you can have two fully functioning rifles. Another aspect is 22 conversions are often not exactly reliable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well I think I made my mind up. Going for the MP 15 Sport 2. Seems like a damn good gun and fun to use with good quality. Going to scheels next week to check it out! Now Im dreading the cleaning process, was watching vids on disassembly and cleaning and boy does that look overwhelming

·
12,321 Posts
View attachment 256150
Here, this was in my email on Friday, I think.

The upper link...

The lower link...

What they call a "blem" is likely not noticeable by you. It's all I order in their lowers and some uppers. They shoot great and are reliable. They're all mil-spec... Nothing special... They have a store near me, so transfers are free. That's why I started using them, but their stuff is actually very good and I continued using them for AR stuff.
Look for a PM from me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I think I made my mind up. Going for the MP 15 Sport 2. Seems like a damn good gun and fun to use with good quality. Going to scheels next week to check it out! Now Im dreading the cleaning process, was watching vids on disassembly and cleaning and boy does that look overwhelming
Its easy man, super easy. You don't need to detail clean it very much. I shot over 5k out of a Colt 6920 without as much as a wipe down. Make sure you lube it, it's what people mean when they say "run it wet".

When you do clean your rifle it'll mostly be to clean the bore and lube the BCG which takes just splitting open the rifle and pulling out the BCG and charging handle.

For a more detailed cleaning ( just tearing down the BCG really) just look up a YouTube video. It's super easy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Its easy man, super easy. You don't need to detail clean it very much. I shot over 5k out of a Colt 6920 without as much as a wipe down. Make sure you lube it, it's what people mean when they say "run it wet".

When you do clean your rifle it'll mostly be to clean the bore and lube the BCG which takes just splitting open the rifle and pulling out the BCG and charging handle.

For a more detailed cleaning ( just tearing down the BCG really) just look up a YouTube video. It's super easy.
Yep been watching youtube vids on it, currently watching one rn haha

Also do you need to clean it out of the box after purchase?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep been watching youtube vids on it, currently watching one rn haha

Also do you need to clean it out of the box after purchase?
I don't, I do something like this most of the time.

Head space should be checked in most cases , it's up to you but S&W SHOULD be ok at least for the time being. Plan on getting gauges though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome Flavortown,
Very good choice for a starter AR.
There may come a time when you want more accuracy from your SW.
A very cost effective way to upgrade is replacing the Trigger with a Larue Tactical MBT trigger for somewhere around $100 give or take (depending on season & sales).
The labor for this should be under $50 (takes me 15 minutes).
If you end-up wanting even more accuracy ensure the rifle/butt stock is properly fitted to you. An experienced shooter should show you how for free.
Good luck and enjoy!
Hausser

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well, now that you know what rifle you're getting you need to decide on what type of sight to put on it. DON'T SCRIMP ON THE SIGHTS/SCOPE!!! Too often folks will spend a bunch of money on a great gun and then try to get by with a cheap sight. You can have the most accurate rifle in the world, but it will shoot poorly with bad/inadequate sights.
I prefer Eotech for holographic sights and Leupold for scopes, but everyone of us here will answer that differently. It is not uncommon for me to spend twice as much on the scope as I did for the rifle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good choice! Here is a great video on Youtube that put the gun to a meltdown test:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Good choice Flavortown. 👍

Hit us with some gun pics when you get it all set up.

A couple sight recommendations, (I own each) Holographic - Meprolight M20 (wide variety of reticles, I chose an X reticle.) Red Dots - Sig Tac CP1, (red/green BDC reticle) Vortex Strikefire II, (red/green dot) Bushnell M&P Trophy, (red/green T dot.)

That photo I posted on page one here, has the Sig-Tac CP1 on top, (Green AR) the Vortex Strikefire II on the Ruger in the middle, and the Meprolight M20 (Holographic) on the bottom Kel-Tec PMR16.

AR-15's are kinda like a kids leggo set. Lots of add on to enhance them. welcome to the Club. 😁

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well, now that you know what rifle you're getting you need to decide on what type of sight to put on it. DON'T SCRIMP ON THE SIGHTS/SCOPE!!! Too often folks will spend a bunch of money on a great gun and then try to get by with a cheap sight. You can have the most accurate rifle in the world, but it will shoot poorly with bad/inadequate sights.
I prefer Eotech for holographic sights and Leupold for scopes, but everyone of us here will answer that differently. It is not uncommon for me to spend twice as much on the scope as I did for the rifle.
On that subject... I once had a friend, now deceased, who would buy really nice rifles. One day he called to do some shooting on my range. It was a bright deep blue sky sort of day. Lots Of sunlight is my point. So he brings it over and starts to shoot and immediately starts in with the excuses. Couldn't see the reticle.

After a time I tried it and sure enough the reticle wasn't bright enough to see in daytime. So after spending all that $ to buy a really nice rifle he turned it into a piece of junk by slapping a garbage sight on it. But the sight had a choice of reticles and many colors to choose from. None of which could be seen. He had a long history of doing that... buying otherwise nice stuff, then scrimping on the sight. It never made any sense to me.

NeoB', I always did exactly what you stated and got the best sight I could that made sense for the firearm. One can't stay current, or I can't, but those older sights are still useable today. No junk.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Most start by buying a striped lower, parts kit & a stock/buffer tube set. Then have the fun of building it yourself. An assembled upper is all you need after that. There are many places you can buy a starter upper of the caliber you want.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I wouldn’t rush out and put a scope on it. Learn to use the sights that come on the rifle. Get the fundamentals down. It’s easy to go from irons to a scope, the reverse is usually not true. Get some mag pul magazines. They are still not expensive even in the craziness we are experiencing.
Other than the mags and ammo I’d advise holding off on “upgrades“ till you get your feet wet and understand the rifle, what your capabilities are are what your goals for it really are. Enjoy the rifle and find a good mentor in the “art of the gun”. The most important aspect at this point is to get safe gun handling ingrained in your fabric. The best gear in the world is not worth much without the basic foundations of safety and marksmanship in place.
Have fun. Guns ownership is a right but it is also a responsibility.:cool:

21 - 40 of 62 Posts