The Firearms Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Returning to the OP's title question ... "Where does one start?"
For the AR15 newbies...
Whether your buying or building an AR, I recommend picking up the DVD "Building Your AR-15 From Scratch" by Lenny Magill in 2011.
It's 3 hours of very informative, thorough and easy to follow information of practically all things AR.
I used this as reference to build my first, and the subsequent 8 rifles in multiple calibers.
Love them. Wife doesn't though.
Know any good divorce attorneys?

·
Super Moderator
43,364 Posts
You can build two or three of them, from scratch, in the three hours it takes to watch that video.

·
Registered
40 Posts
View attachment 256150
Here, this was in my email on Friday, I think.

The upper link...

The lower link...

What they call a "blem" is likely not noticeable by you. It's all I order in their lowers and some uppers. They shoot great and are reliable. They're all mil-spec... Nothing special... They have a store near me, so transfers are free. That's why I started using them, but their stuff is actually very good and I continued using them for AR stuff.
Pardon my ignorance, but if I buy the upper and the lower that you linked there, all i have to do is connect them and I have a fully functional AR? Just magazines and ammo to purchase after that?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but if I buy the upper and the lower that you linked there, all i have to do is connect them and I have a fully functional AR? Just magazines and ammo to purchase after that?
As long as the pin sizes are compatible* , yes. I didn't spend a huge amount of time searching the description, but a call to their customer service should confirm it. Just have your stock numbers of both when discussing it with them. I didn't notice if the upper came with sights. But that's why the modern sporting rifle is so popular, they're like LEGO bricks.

*by that I mean pin diameter. I've seen 2 diameters mentioned, but I've never run into that myself. I'm betting you buy one of each and the pins supplied with the lower will work.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
As long as you're buying Milspec uppers and lowers, yes... The two I linked will work together, no problem. The lower must be delivered to a firearms dealer.

·
Registered
306 Posts
$440 sounds like a good price for my first AR.
Something to think about.
I definitely agree. I've looked at those prices more than once. I bet you'll never see the blems.

As previously mentioned you'll need to have it sent to a FFL dealer so talk to one and find what he'll charge for that service. But once you have the lower in hand you can swap out uppers to use different cartridges. Barrels can be swapped too, but I don't anyone who does that unless it's a semi-permanent swap. But the barrel will always need to be a rifle length barrel unless you pay to SBR it. Turn it into a handgun (or SBR) w/o the paid tax and you could do time in the crossbar motel. But that goes for any lower built to be a rifle unless you build it yourself.

·
Super Moderator
43,364 Posts
*by that I mean pin diameter. I've seen 2 diameters mentioned, but I've never run into that myself. I'm betting you buy one of each and the pins supplied with the lower will work.
If my memory is still working, it was the early Colt rifles that had the different sized holes in upper and pins in the lower. I have an old Colt upper that I had to find "conversion" pins for the lower that I was using, to make them match up. One should almost never run into that problem any more, but they do still make those conversion pins. Here is a picture of one that I just got off of the Brownell website:
Tool Automotive tire Cylinder Automotive wheel system Rim

The set I bought years ago is slightly different but same principle.

·
Premium Member
20,482 Posts
I bet you spend more on ammo in the 1st year than the gun cost.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I bet you spend more on ammo in the 1st year than the gun cost.
Good point!

When I built my 300BLK I went high end parts and so far haven't regretted it. But for an entry level AR I just can't see him going wrong. They're LEGO rifles after all and can be changed in a heartbeat once one has the upper and lower. If I was him w/o an AR I'd scarf the upper and lower up without delay. But that's me. If I needed another assembled AR rifle @ GI spec' I'd buy those in a heartbeat.

LEGO (for Pratchett) ... When I built my 300BLK AR handgun I first used the supplied trigger parts and I tried to like them but I've been spoiled by hi end triggers over the decades. It was easy to take out the not terrible trigger and installed my selected "ahhh that's better" trigger (Hiperfire Genesis). Again, that's why the MSRs are so popular. If one doesn't like it as it is it can be changed in a heartbeat. Keeping in mind the rules that will get one into trouble. For a first AR one can do a lot worse.

And this is how you care for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Well crap didnt realize this was still being posted in! Got my Sport 2 about a month ago and have took it to the range every weekend. Ive since tossed on a radian ambi select, magpul ctr stock and a crossfire 2 1-4x! I love this gun a lot!
Now im looking building an AR10 for a dmr feel. Learning as I go!

·
Super Moderator
29,451 Posts
Well crap didnt realize this was still being posted in! Got my Sport 2 about a month ago and have took it to the range every weekend. Ive since tossed on a radian ambi select, magpul ctr stock and a crossfire 2 1-4x! I love this gun a lot!
Now im looking building an AR10 for a dmr feel. Learning as I go!
When building an AR 10 you have watch what parts you use. The 10 platform isn't as "to specs" as the 15 is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
When building an AR 10 you have watch what parts you use. The 10 platform isn't as "to specs" as the 15 is.
Yeah thats what I heard! I want something to give me a sniper feeling to it. Figured AR10 was easiest. Do you have any recommendations? I havnt started looking into to much other than a few questions on a gun discord

·
Super Moderator
29,451 Posts
Yeah thats what I heard! I want something to give me a sniper feeling to it. Figured AR10 was easiest. Do you have any recommendations? I havnt started looking into to much other than a few questions on a gun discord
Your biggest issue, find matched upper and lower, that's usually where the biggest problem is found.

·
Super Moderator
29,451 Posts
I can't really answer that, I've never purchased a complete AR of any manufacturer. I like playing with Legos for men.

Reactions: JRK57

·
Registered
499 Posts
DD AR-10’s are almost never in stock, PSA has lowers and uppers in stock on a pretty regular basis, reasonably priced, and are accurate. You’ll want to upgrade a few things like the trigger, muzzle device, and charge handle to start with.

My buddy got a Savage in 6.5 CM, but good luck finding one of those now.

At the moment parts are easier to find than a complete rifle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Be smart-buy a complete AR10 if you want one...Which one?It's your money---you pay for quality once....you constantly pay for crap.
Not sure yet! Depending on the bells and whistles trying to keep it below 1200$ usd. Any recommendations for a complete?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts