Where to find a gun safe?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 2:02:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit Where to find a gun safe?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ok, the guns are starting to spill out of the closet now. And since I spend a considerable amount of time out of town, I'm looking for a gun safe.

I don't want one of these $2,000 safes that weigh more than my car. But I also don't want a "cabinet" or "locker". I want something that I can bolt to the floor and that can't be jimmied open. In other words, I want a burglar to have to use a torch to open it.

I'm considering the el-cheapo Sentry safe from Wal-Mart that holds 14 rifles. But I will fill that up pretty quickly, and may have to end up buying two of them. I don't have a K-Mart nearby and I wouldn't shop there if I did, so that's out of the question.

Does anybody know who sells decent safes that are reasonably priced (say, $200 or less)? What about online sources?
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/6/03 2:06:47 pm)
    Reply Re: Where to find a gun safe?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Go down to Google Search at the bottom of the page, and search "Gun Safe" - you will find all sorts of on-line dealers!

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 2:27:06 pm)
    If you have a John Deere dealership close, They sell Liberty safes I got my 24 long gun + handgun shelf for $1100, fire rated at 1200 F for 20 min. best of all, you can fill out a Deere credit app and make monthly payments.
    wiseacre

Edited by: ysacres at: 1/6/03 2:30:02 pm

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 2:36:14 pm)
    1952Sniper I bought 2 Sentry safes at Wally World that were on Display with a few small scraps to put in my closet for 250.00 each,this is the one with the dial on it.I got about half of my long guns and all my pistols in both of them.I am thinking about buying a vault door and put metal on the inside of my walk in closet and put the rest in it. Benny

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 3:01:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit Re: Where to find a gun safe?
    I have considered building a "strong box" into a closet, but I really don't want to do that kind of modification to my house at the present time.

The Sentry safe with the dial on it is the one I was looking at, but I think it was selling for around $160 at the local Wal-Mart. Unfortunately, that was before Christmas, and they're out of them now. The guy tells me they usually only get them in summer and when they run out they don't order more until the next year. That kinda bites.

ysacres, I'm betting you have a LOT of credit with John Deere, what with all the equipment you must use. I have considered buying an expensive safe like that, but I just can't afford it. I'm a cheap bastard and I don't want to have to make payments.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/6/03 3:18:48 pm)
    Re: Where to find a gun safe?
    I did learn that you cannot buy a big enough gun safe. But bigger is $$$$$.
    Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

Jbobin
    (1/6/03 3:52:18 pm)
    Reply Safes
    I am a cheapo guy, but my wife put it best:

Say you have 20 guns, average $400 each....you got $8000 worth of guns (which carries more responsibility than $8000 worth of jewelry sitting in your sock drawer). You would spend no more than $400 bucks on a safe (5% of the total value of your collection)???

I am gonna get from all of you, but I would probably roll with the charging it or hold collecting more guns (I know, I know) until you can afford to lock them all up.

Just my opinion....

Jb

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 4:35:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit Re: Safes
    Jb, I know exactly what you're saying. And that is the thought process I'm going through. I've told myself that I don't want to spend more on a safe than my collection is worth. Currently I only have about $1500 worth of guns, but I anticipate it will grow in the near future. Or, I hope so anyway.

Ain't no $400 guns in my collection though. Like I said, I'm a cheap bastard.

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 6:43:26 pm)

Take a look at the greenlee (or equivalent brand) job site metal tool boxes, commonly sold at Home Depot. The model they normally stock has a top lid, and two recessed areas to attach heavy duty padlocks (so boltcutters can't be used). About $250-300. Gives much more security than the Homack steel lockers, Almost as much security as the Sentry type upright safes IMO, only without the fancy combo lock. Plus its much bigger than the sentry 16gun model, but not quite as stylish. Fill the bottom with cases of ammo (or even concrete blocks, guns on top, it quickly becomes too heavy for robbers to carry away.

Other than that, check out stores going out of business...Service Merchanise had a store liquidation here last year, I bid $200 each on 4 rather large safes they had (silent auction format). I didn't check back until it was too late, the high bidder got them for $275 I think (still a great deal). If you're set up with a truck and dollies to load a safe, is where you can get good deals on used safes. Good luck.

308bolt
    (1/6/03 7:50:07 pm)
    '52 Sniper,
    Try S&W (Snivelin' Weasels)
    Oh I'm sorry, you said "gun safe" not "safe gun".

NEVERRRRMIND.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/6/03 9:18:42 pm)
    Heck, I just toss all my guns in the corner of the garden shed out back - ya know, the one with the door hangin by one hinge --- gotta check em fer mud daubers afor I shoots em'

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/7/03 7:34:40 pm)
    Ok, I almost forgot the ultimate low-buck gun safe...an old water heater tank! You have to be somewhat handy, but here goes...

Normal water heater tanks are a strong metal tank, surrounded by fiberglass insulation, and then covered by a decorative tin skin. The tin lid can be removed by three sheet metal screws, then use a saws-all to cut a square hole in the top of the tank. If you have access to a welder, can weld two hinges and a padlock hasp to the tank lid before finishing the cut. Now, the tank should be inverted and cleaned out well with a garden hose, as most old w/h tanks are filled with crud. Allow to dry. Use a fan. Unscrew the electrical elements, clip off the copper elements and dip tubes, and replace the caps. You can dress out the interior of the tank with padding or gun racks, plain or fancy as you wish. Now, place the heater in a closet, you can dress it out with fake plastic water supply tubes, or wires to look real. To access the "safe", just lift off the tin cover w/ fake pipes, & unlock your padlock.

Many water heaters are located in closets, how many burglars are going to look twice, or notice your house has more than one tank? Which, by the way, is not that unusual. W/h tanks come in several sizes, the midsized fat ones just about right for standing up rifles. The short ones great for pistols.
    Hidden in plain sight.

But you can't brag to your buddies and spoil the the secret! Total expense, 0-$25 (used tanks easy to come by). You can be a truly cheap *******, and put that money toward buying more guns!!!

goldsammer
    (1/8/03 11:04:27 pm)
    I bought my safe through The Sportsmans Guide catalog, less than 800$ including shipping. They have sales catalogs every month. Learn from my mistake and buy the biggest safe you can afford, once you have one you'll be surprised how fast it fills up.

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/9/03 3:12:40 am)
    Put a couple stickers off a "can" of gun powder on the door and it'll at least make 'em nervous when they light up that torch.

If they go ahead and do it they won't be nervous long at my house because that's where I keep ALL my powder. Talk about He11 what it we wind up with seats next to each other?
    --44 mag, when you're ready to get serious--

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/9/03 5:58:14 am)
    Re: Where to find a gun safe?
    Where to find a gun safe?

In my Fort Knox

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/9/03 8:06:53 am)
    A friend of mine took a old Coke machine that he purchased from the local distributer for 25.00.He took all the insides out then fixed the inside to hold his long guns and pistols put two locks on the inside plus the standard locks on the outside then put it in his game room with the light on behind the big coke picture on the front of the machine.It looks great and who would ever think it was a gun safe.It took four of us plus a appliance hand truck to move it.Just a thought if you want to save money.

Silver72
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/9/03 1:58:56 pm)
    Started with a small Cannon brand when they had a local sale. It filled quickly. Next I bought the Liberty 24 long gun model with one top shelf and converted the smaller safe to shelves only. Now some guns are in the closet once again and I don't think the wife will OK a third.

Saw an old fridge converted to a safe, not to cool looking but that heavy metal strap and grape fruit size lock is better than nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.