The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering which brand hollow points to use? Has anyone had any experience on which ones are reliable. I have bought a few bulk packs of Winchester 36 grain Copper plated hollow points a few years back but my new 10/22 has feeding issues only with that ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
I take it that the 10-22 is your home defense weapon? I think you may want to upgrade to at least a shotgun, better coverage, less penetration to the outside world, IMHO. You want to stop the threat, not just upset them.

Larry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take it that the 10-22 is your home defense weapon? I think you may want to upgrade to at least a shotgun, better coverage, less penetration to the outside world, IMHO. You want to stop the threat, not just upset them.

Larry
Its my first option because my 20 gauge shotgun has a 26 inch barrel so I would sit n wait with that but my 10/22 is a carbine model so I feel more comfortable clearing my house with that.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
You may want to upgrade the ammo for the 10-22 to a heavier bullet. I think Eley has a very good lineup, not cheap, but very good ammo.

Good Luck

Larry

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
233 Posts
The only hollow point I use in a .22 is in my magnum pistol.

I have a 10 22 and I like it. I have never had problems loading any ammo.

Are you using the 10 round mag?.

The 25 round mags have problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only hollow point I use in a .22 is in my magnum pistol.

I have a 10 22 and I like it. I have never had problems loading any ammo.

Are you using the 10 round mag?.

The 25 round mags have problems.
Yeah I'm using The 10 round mags because commie Cuomo's unsafe act prevents the ownership of high capacity magazines by the law abiding citizen. Anyway ill try the heavier bullets next time I buy ammo if it still exists.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If a 22 LR was going to be my choice, I'd be looking at CCI Stingers. Short of a head shot (brain/spine), I wouldn't count on an immediate stop of the threat. Have a backup plan to deal with a really pissed off wounded person. 22LR's tend to go into people then bounce around, creating lots of little holes which surgeons have trouble finding and sewing up. Doc friend told me once he'd rather have a guy gut shot with a .357 than a 22LR, at least that way he could find the holes the first time in.
If memory serves, the fewest 22LR shots I've ever seen stop a person was 8. All in the chest and neck at about 2 feet. This was in a homicide, not a 1 round to the head suicide kinda thing.
A 3" mag of #4 buck delivers all that with lots of lead left over.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If I just had to pick my .22 as a home defense I would use CCI mini mags fmj . I think be less of a chance of a feeding issue and the .22 is known for that . I think that I have gotten more issues with hollow points and a soft lead bullet then any other . And if it was a choice between a .22 and a shotgun I would take the shotgun hands down . I understand your feelings but if you could there are some cheap handguns still out there . Even a Hi Point would be a better choice and equal chance of issues then the .22 if you could afford it . Just my .02 !

·
Registered
2,854 Posts

Larry
This is a completely erroneous and irresponsible statement!
The .22 LR, from a rifle length barrel is about as powerful as a standard .38 Special from a pistol. From a rifle, hollow points DO expand and penetrate deeply.
As far as taking 8 shots to stop someone-that's also a ridiculous statement! It may take 1, or 8-but one can certainly stop if put in the right place.
Who taught you guys that the .22 LR was a toy? It's not-not at all.
You need to make sure the load that you are using is RELIABLE in YOUR gun.

·
GUNZILLA
6,439 Posts
I am of the philosophy that a 22 will get the job done but just not any ammo. For defense as has a been mentioned a 22 round must be reliable so at a minimum stick with a premium round at a minimum CCI or aguila as this are rounds that have proven very reliable in my 10/22. Also you should know that semi-auto actions do not work very well with subsonic rounds as they will not cycle the action many times. No scientific proof on the following statement but a 22 hollow point does not expand as much as people think and it might not offer penetration into the vital organs as well as a solid round. Highly recommend you use 40 grain bullets Standard or high velocity rounds.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I knew a guy who would shoot deer that came up in his yard (he lived next to a wild life refuge in Arkansas) threw his open window with a .22 rifle . He would hit them in the head most didn't get out of his yard . And no I did not agree with him on this . It is just the reliability issue with the .22 . On the range shooting cans is one thing , taking on a intruder in the middle of the night is another . I picked up a box of sub sonic few years back and in my semi auto hand gun and rifle they didn't cycle very good . Gave them to my nephew who has a bolt action rifle .

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Well, "sub sonic" ammunition is underpowered. I have no idea why anyone would use it in anything other than silenced guns.

Use premium high velocity or hyper velocity ammunition that is reliable in your gun.

I would feel entirely adequately armed with a 10/22. As a matter of fact, I often RECOMMEND a semi auto .22 rifle for inexperienced persons who may be recoil shy, as a home defense weapon.
No one wants to be shot with anything. If they are shot, they generally don't want to be shot again, or don't need to be shot again.
No gun can be relied upon to instantaneously stop someone-unless it's a central nervous system shot. I personally know a man who was shot in the chest with a 12 gauge at 10 feet. He ran 35 yards before he dropped from blood loss. He lived, BTW.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts