The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this has been Beat to death allready but I,d like to get you Guys opinions on which caliber you would choose for Small Game at 200 yds plus,,I allready have a 223 but I,m thinking 22/250 or 204 Ruger,,,what do you guys think

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
.223 or .222 gets my vote.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
.223 gets my vote too.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Maybe this has been Beat to death allready but I,d like to get you Guys opinions on which caliber you would choose for Small Game at 200 yds plus,,I allready have !

Seems like you're talking "varmiting" ! Within the "200-yard" criteria cited, I'd opt for the "triple deuce" as cheap to run, effective and wonderfully accurate to boot ! OTOH, my personal preference is the .22/250 for its longer reach with the same accuracy potential. Lots of other choices in the .22 to .25 caliber range. All are great varmiters ! >MW

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I cant see any .22 centerfire bore being cheaper to run than a .223 rem.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cant see any .22 centerfire bore being cheaper to run than a .223 rem.
I love my 223 to death ,I,m just looking for something to Compliment it and Yes I,m Talking the yearly trip to the Dakotas but also I can range shoot all day without making Hamburger out of my shoulder,,,allready got enough other Calibers to do that

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
If you're looking for a prairie dog rifle, a .22/250 or .220Swift is a nice long-range compliment to a .223. You won't get off as many rounds before heating the barrel up though so plan on slowing your pace compared to the .223.

For a short-range compliment, I'd check out a good little .22Hornet. Sounds like you're looking for a longer range rig, but they're cheap to feed and you can shoot one all day and hardly warm the barrel up.

I'm running .204 for my long-range varmint rifle right now. On paper and in the field, a 32gr .204 is near-identical to a 55gr .22/250 in velocity/trjectory/windage and a 40gr .204 is not much slower.
I've taken 'yotes out to 200yds with the .204 and it drops em just as dead as the .22/250. 200yds is my personal limit, I never liked shooting beyond that with the .22/250, Swift, or .22/6mm.

If you want something different, one of the .223-sized 6mms (6x47mm, etc) might be something to check out too.
A little heavier bullet, but it'll carry good energy out to 200yds+ for varmints & coyote/fox hunting. Would even be usable on whitetails at 100yds or so.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Might seem too big, but I really like my 6.8 stag for an all around light gun. Nice thing is it only weighs 7 lb, with a 10 rounder and I'm set for larger game if the need be. Have killed a bunch of bear & caribou with same little gun along with wolves & lynx. I load 29 grains H-322, 110 ttsx, and she chronos 2700.

·
Registered
751 Posts
6mm remington,,(a lil zippier then 243) with light loads with 55gr bullet for rabbit,,110 gr bullet for larger deer.. have dropped several toule elk with that load, at around 200 yrds. depending on what u shoot at good out to 600 meters if u do your part, and anything in between with the right load. have taken coyotes at 400yrds with barnes 75gr hp

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lots of Varied opinions here,,,Being able to re-load helps in the decision making ,,then I need to pick a Basic vehicle to send the chosen Projectile down range,,,about a year ago I started with a 243,plastic stock Stevens and finished with a heavy Barrel 223 with a pillared and bedded Boyds walnut all the work being done by me and and a gun pro with 20 years of experience,,Great Winter Project Gets cold in Minnesota,,,keep giving opinions I,ll make a decision,,late this Month

1 - 16 of 16 Posts