The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to reload tappered rifle cases and I need a good case trimmer. I will be doing a fairly large volume, so a hand trimmer is out.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I just started reloading .223 about 8 months ago and I got the hornady case trimmer. It's nice. It locks the shell in place good. Trims down to size real easy. Has easy to use settings. I trimmed about 1000 cases so far and havent had any issues with it yet. It ran me about $65. It came with 7 pilots. All you need is the shell holder, but its the same one you use with the press. So no big deal. Not to many extras to buy. Pretty decent trimmer.
Here it is

http://www.hornady.com/store/Trimmer-With-Cam-Lock-1-Each/

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a Giraud Trimmer. Yes, it's expensive but, I continually wonder why I didn't buy it sooner. IMHO, it's the best trimmer for LARGE VOLUME case prep. It is so easy to use I trim my cases after EVERY firing. (It's amazing how some cases stretch after ONE firing.)
It trims and outside & inside chamfers at the same time.
I love my Giraud trimmer.

·
Super Moderator
28,006 Posts
For large quantities, I use the RCBS powered trim pro. For just a few, I use the Lee trimmers.

·
Premium Member
18,715 Posts
rcbs case trimmer 2. I've had it for a long time and it's about all i can afford. I need to get the drill adaptor for it, because when i have a lot of cases to trim i tend to ware out my wrist.

·
Registered
17,275 Posts
I use the Lee.

I used to have, I think it was a Lyman, but it was grey and everything Lyman is orange now, so I'm not sure.

See that black collar-thingy? That's how you adjust the depth. It slides back and forth on the shaft, and is held in place by a set screw. Tighten the screw and lock it in place.

Except, if you apply too much pressure, when turning the handle, it can cause the collar to slip on the shaft, a little, and you start to cut them shorter and shorter.

With the Lee, you can't make them the wrong size, as the length gauge is part of the trimmer. It trims just so far, and that's it.

That Lyman I had, waaaay back when, cost about 40 bucks. That was when a set of dies was 18. And you needed a different pilot for each caliber - 30, 45, 22, whatever. And they were 3 or 4 bucks each.

Now that little jewel is 80. RCBS's version is over a hundred. And pilots are five bucks each.

The Lee, on t'other hand, is seven dollars for the cutter (which is used on all calibers) and the "case length gauge" (you need one for each caliber) is five bucks.

You can chuck the Lee in a drill, if you don't want to do it by hand.

It's just so fast, so perfect, and so cheap, I don't see why anybody uses another type. Except, of course, for the "Lee is cheap garbage" people.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I use a Lyman Universal got it used at a good price with all the collets I needed

G

·
I use a Lyman Universal got it used at a good price with all the collets I needed

That one and I really don't like it.

This one is the one I want. http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Power-Case-Prep-Center/

Or this one. http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

If you have never seen a Giraud Trimmer in use. Here is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYLmHvKVd0

Not to hijack the thread but I also want an auto case annealer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGTb4y48Hsc

·
Registered
18,030 Posts
i started with an rcbs manual trimmer. I upgraded tot he rcbs powered one.. love it.

for a time in between I used a 1/2" drill and made my hand trimmer a semi powered one.. but movingte drill was almost as much work..

i REALLY like the rcbs powered one..

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use a Herters trimmer -- like a forster -
Why? because I have had it for 50+ years and have not worn it out yet --

·
Registered
18,030 Posts
i'm still usin ghte 1st carbide cutter with my original rcbs trimmer admittedly only nearing a couple yars of use on it.. but it has processed many thousands of rounds with no sign of wear yet. I have anopther carbide backup as I bought 2.. plus whatever the 2 oem rcbs heads came with. I imagine I have enough trimmer capability to outlast me.. :)

·
Super Moderator
41,315 Posts
For years, I used the little hand operated Lee trimmers and they do work just fine, I have one for every bottle neck cartridge I load. Some time last year I started loading more .223/5.56 brass and I decided to "upgrade" so I bought an older used RCBS trimmer very similar to this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/448512/rcbs-trim-pro-2-manual-case-trimmer except mine doesn't have that "arm" sticking up on the left side. So far I have only used it for .223 and it is a tremendous amount faster than the Lee. I still use the Lee ones on every thing else though.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts

The Lyman trimmer does not use collets. It has a universal shell holder that accepts any and all rim styles and diameters. I have both the manual and power versions of these case trimmers and would not trade either for anything else on the market. The Lyman trimmers locate/center the case on the primer pocket, with a spring loaded detent ball that accepts either large or small primer pockets. The spring loaded jaws of the case holder accept ant rim size/style and lock the case in with no movement. The length adjustment is accomplished by a two piece stop/depth collar. The coarse adjustment is controlled by a set screw, and the fine adjustment by a threaded stop. Case length tolerances can be held to .001" of an inch or less with these trimmers. The power version when used with the carbide cutter, which I prefer can do upwards of 100 cases an hour, all to the previously mentioned tolerances. I've had others in the past, but none have performed as well as the Lyman, at least for me.

·
Registered
387 Posts
First I only started reloading about a year ago.
I'm not doing high volume.
I use a L.E. Wilson.
The main drawback is having to buy case holders, but one holder will work
with any case derived from the parent case.
ie 30-06 holder also works with .270
I like it but I'm still moving slow.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Opps I misspoke I meant pilots not collets :eek:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts