Which dies for .308?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dsv424, Mar 31, 2009.

1. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

I have a Lee Classic Turret and just purchased a .308 rifle that I will be reloading for. Could someone tell me what set of dies from Lee that would be best for this caliber. Also what are the popular powders you use for .308 Thx.

2. army mp

army mp Member

Have you reloaded rifle before. Are you loading for a bolt action or semi, one rifle or several in 308,
    Are you just going to punch paper, hunt or bench rest. and it goes on. The first thing you should do is get a good reloading manual, lee modern reloading or lyman 49th are both good places to start. Reloading is not rocket science but you need a good foundation.

3. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

I reload .223 for my AR-15 so this should be pretty similar in the process ie. preparing the cases for reload. The gun is a .308 Saiga semi-auto and it will be for mostly target shooting. Sorry I wasn't as specific with the first post. I did leave out alot of details. I realize there is different die sets from Lee for rifle and wasn't sure what would be best.

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have a Lee single stage press that I use for rifle loading. I personally use the Lee Pacesetter three die set. It is a full size die because I am loading for 2 different rifles. If I had to do it over again, I would go with the Lee Deluxe Rifle 3 die set, it has both the Full Length sizer die and a Collet neck sizer die so that you can use it for a single rifle or multiple rifles. They can be bought for about $30 (give or take). There are other great die sets out there, I just choose the Lee mostly because the price is good and they make good stuff!

I have a Lee collet neck sizer die for my 30.06 that I really like when I reload for my Winchester bolt action. It is a really good die set.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  5. army mp

army mp Member

I would go with the full length dies and I have heard good things about the lee Factory crimp die, I shoot bench rest 308 bolt action, and only neck size, but this is for the one rifle so the cases are fire formed to it. As you probably know with the semi, you should crimp the cases, I like IMR 3031 but there are a boat load of powders out there. And with the shortage , on powder and primers, some times its all about what you can find in stock.

6. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

+1 on the factory crimp die. best thing since sliced bread. as far as powder - imr 4064, accurate 2460, ramshot tac, for plinking what ever is cheaper.

7. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

Thx for all the info guys. Really appreciate it. I will be getting the set that includes the FCD. I'll start looking for a couple of these powders although its pretty hard these days to find a specific one but a least I have a few to choose from.

8. Popgunner

Popgunner Active Member

I load for my 3 .308 rifles using the two die Lee RGB (really great buy) dies that $11 a set. I've liked how they've worked & they're full length dies so no worries about using the loads in any of the rifles. Sold my benchrest dies with that rifle.