The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
buddy of mine bought a ruger 10/22 carbine a few months back.

his b-day is in a week.

he has a couple 10 rnd mags and a hotlips 25

he's been wanting a drum mag.. so a couple of us are gonna go in on a drum mag for him. we can find them from 53-90$ depending on which online retialers actually have them.. etc.

2 we see are the promag A14, and the black dog machine.

the black dog seems to be a modular mag that can have a different feed tower installed.

We've browsed a few revies.. and the black dog has more bad reviews than the promag.

anyone here with a 10/22 and one of either of those mags?

his is a black sun stock, and the black alloy metal carbine. not the short or take down.. though i think they all use the same mag anyway.

opinions? we need to order tuesday to get it in by next week.

thanks

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
My experience was the promags will work if tuned. We have one on one of the full auto 10/22's at the range. Black dog mags across the board all stink not matter what its for.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My experience was the promags will work if tuned. We have one on one of the full auto 10/22's at the range. Black dog mags across the board all stink not matter what its for.
we ordered the gen 2 promag for him today from a shop a couple cities away. this is the mag with the lever on the back.. not the original ones.

not a bad price.

thanks for the info

any idea of what hand fitting we will need to do to make it fit / feed in his ruger? is it something we can take to the range with a set of files and sandpaper so when we give it to him we can fit and fire it pretty quick?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
41,421 Posts
If it was me buying the mag or mags, I would have just bought a couple of the BX-25 mags made by Ruger. You wouldn't have to file or sandpaper them at all to make them work.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
he really, really wants a drum.. been talking about it since he got the gun.. so we felt like we'd oblige him :)

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
It was mostly some grinding with a small diamond bit on the lips. It was to get the feed timing down but then again this was on a very finicky full auto.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just got the ship notification.. so our drum mag should be here by the weekend when we are doing the b-day celebration.

I might even break out a rare box of 22lr from my stash for my buddy. he got his 10-22 during the ammo crunch and only had a small time to buy ammo. I doubt he has any left. I guess I'll preload his 50rnd drum for him. :)

should bring a wide smile.. which will be a good ballance for his balding head. ;) ( said the guy with the mostly grey beard )

assuming it gets here.. I assume sunday will be a quick trip to t he range .

I'll take a variety of finishing sand papers.. my bat powered dremil and kit and some paper white.

I've used that before to make witness makrks when hand fitting parts. see what rubs the color off.. then sand there more. :)

will post a range report afterwards.

thanks guys

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tuned?

What exactly do you mean by tuned? I have a brand new 10/22 with the stock 10 round mag and 2 hotlips 25ers, same problem as everyone else with jamming and feeding issues since the third trigger pull. I would really like some pointers about what I can do without needing to fully break my new gun down to kibbles and bits.

·
Registered
17,297 Posts
he really, really wants a drum.. been talking about it since he got the gun.. so we felt like we'd oblige him :)
I totally understand that. When I bought my Thompson, 30 round sticks could be found, three in a mag pouch, for 39 bucks. 13 dollars each. But I needed a drum. I NEEDED a drum. Drum was 300. And when it arrived I found it was an XL, not an L, and only held 39 rounds.

30-round magazine for 13 dollars, versus 39-round magazine for 300 dollars. But I had to have the drum.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i guess it's something about a drum. :)

Anyway. went home at lunch and the box arrived. I'll fish out a 50rnd box of 22lr and shove it int he box and well wrap it up in a hat box or something to give him this weekend.

I see it has metal feed lips. that is a plus. I have seen some feed issues with plastic lip mags.

On your thompson issue. kind alike the price difference on reising mags. you used to be able to get dimpled 10rnd single stacks... or 20 round double stacks. and then you could get 30 rnd double stacks. think t he 30 rnders were going for 100$ YIKES!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Terminator...
start with polishing the feed ramps of the mags.
compare the angle of attack of the jamming mags with one that doesn't and note the difference. that is when you adjust things (tune)

I have a Tactical inc 25rd mag (banana)and it is hit or miss for my 10/22. however they designed it with four screws that can be adjusted to get the 22lr round into the right angle for proper loading. I haven't set down and tried to adjust it yet.

BTW.. my Butler creek plastic mags have no issues what so ever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts