The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
total newbie here to the site.i've come to the conclusion that it's time i armed myself for the protection of me and mine against the lawless out there who think[hey,i'll break into this house and take what i want.they have more than me.it's not fair. ]they can get what they want by taking it from others.therefore, i need a firearm.question is,,,what?i figure a pistol for ease of movement in a house but,which one?i will take classes to shoot and get to know about and maintain it. i want one that will stop a person,not a popgun that will just make em mad.can you folks reccomend ?thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
First, there's more to home/personal protection than just getting a big gun, but since that's what you ask my advice is to go to a gunshop that has a range and will let you rent for tryout, several different weapons. You don't buy a car without a test drive so why buy a gun without trying it out first?

Second: When it comes to having to use a gun in emergency situations, you'd be well advised to practice with it under mild intoxication (if you drink at all), in the dark having just been awakened, and other similar and unexpected situations. Being wide awake, sober, and punching holes in paper targets at known distances isn't going to do you much good at 3am with a hangover. Have your wife kick you out of bed in the middle of whoopie, etc. and do a little dry firing in the hallway for example .

The military holds drills at inopportune times and unexpected circumstances for a reason.

Third: Don't rely solely on a gun. Have other options/alerts, such as a burglar alarm and/or a driveway alarm to give you that few seconds you will need to get your butt in gear at 3am.

4th: Practice with it at ranges and at home (empty at home of course or use a kids dart gun to simulate). Hold drills with your wife. She needs to know what to do also.

Fifth: Back to the gun - unless you are familiar with handguns, you might be better off with a double action revolver. No slide or complicated safeties, just pick it up and pull the trigger. Smith&Wesson makes some excellent short range revolvers. My wife has one in .357magnum on her side of the bed.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
My personal preference is a .45.

But ill also add that IMO a handgun is a way to fight to a real gun. The ultimate in stopping power is a rifle in just about any centerifre caliber..

Handgun shooting requires much discipline and practice. It also requires a great degree of open mindedness and the willingness to admit you need instruction. The reason I throw that out there is because I do teach folks to shoot, and youd be suprised how many supposedly 'trained' individuals i get that bring thier wives to me to be instructed that really cannot control a handgun themselves. And its next to impossible to teach them because they have it in thier minds that theyve got it locked down. I absolutely love teaching new women shooters. not because I am a man and I like women, but because they listen and they master thier technique very quickly. My 10 yr old daughter likes to shoot my 1911 .45, and she can keep it on target.

Whatever you choose, you have also got to be ready to make the decision to end another human beings life when and if the time arises. 99% of defensive shootings take place within 21 feet of your assailant, and the vast majority of those are within reaching distance. Basically you have to be OK with killing another person while looking into thier eyes. A little food for thought if you will.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
welcome.

got any friends with guns you can test out? some ranges let you rent guns as well. if you have a local gun club that may be a good start too.

put alot in your hands before handing over a credit card

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
start off with a good quality handgun and a good 12g shotgun.

1911, glock, M&P, XD(M), or .357 revolver and a good 870 are tried and true choices.

I would also recommend .45 for caliber overall for semi, .357 for wheelguns.

practice, practice, practice, make sure to get proficient with them and ensure you practice firearm safety as a family.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds like good advice from all the replys.i am going to take classes to do it right,and yes i believe i could kill someone up close and personal if i believe that they are meaning harm to me or mine.[i still love my wife ha ha.]in the meantime, i still need reccomendations as to what gun i should get.whats best at midnight ,just waking,in the hallway ,stop you lousy *&$^# ? i don't need long distance accuracy as i don't believe in shooting someone running away screaming for his momma when he sees i am not one of the milksops bowing to liberal give up my rights idiots.sorry ,didn't mean to rant,just the way i feel.guess i've got patriotic issues.ha ha:)anyway ,44,22,45,9mm,50cal?what?thanks again bob

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
As aa1911 said, a .45 is a good all purpose handgun round for self defense.

Glock 30
Springfield XD

are all great .45's. Find the one that feels best to you and get it.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
what's best is whatever gun you train and practice with. A .22 LR revolver you've practiced with is better than the 10mm you've barely fired or handled.

those would be my top three picks also Norahc, hard to beat any of those for quality.

practice the obvious, like hitting what you aim at, but don't forget loading/unloading, clearing stoppages, reloading, night shooting, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
22lr?what does lr stand for?like i said ,i'm a newbie,don't know much about handguns.went hunting with my dad back in the day about 1,000 years or so ago with a shot gun.didn't get anything but sore feet.also a healthy respect for guns.i just don't want to walk into a gun shop feeling like i have a big sign on saying total ignorance package here and get sold something the sales guy wants to move at this time of the month.you know ,["hey we got just the thing for you,made just for your needs].problem is i really don't know anyone knowledgeable enough to go with me to point out what i should try.guess i'll have to do the rent one thing and fire it there.not worried about the cost for rental or firing time,just hope i can make a good decision. 1 more thing.can most guns be adjusted for trigger pressure.don't want one that if you look at it, it goes boom.thanks,so far i'm learning a lot just from your posts.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
LR stands for Long Rifle. It is probably the most prevalent and versatile .22 cal round out there.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
22lr?what does lr stand for?like i said ,i'm a newbie,don't know much about handguns.went hunting with my dad back in the day about 1,000 years or so ago with a shot gun.didn't get anything but sore feet.also a healthy respect for guns.i just don't want to walk into a gun shop feeling like i have a big sign on saying total ignorance package here and get sold something the sales guy wants to move at this time of the month.you know ,["hey we got just the thing for you,made just for your needs].problem is i really don't know anyone knowledgeable enough to go with me to point out what i should try.guess i'll have to do the rent one thing and fire it there.not worried about the cost for rental or firing time,just hope i can make a good decision. 1 more thing.can most guns be adjusted for trigger pressure.don't want one that if you look at it, it goes boom.thanks,so far i'm learning a lot just from your posts.
Trigger pull varies, but for stock handguns usually around 6-8lbs. And no you can't adjust it without taking it to a gunsmith in most cases. As with most technology there is a great deal of jargon. Abbreviations of bullet design for example: JHP=Jacketed Hollow Point, LWN=Long Wide Nose, and so on.

I'd suggest you drop by Walmart and pick up a few firearms magazines and get familiar with the language. :)

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
I keep my 1911 handy, my 38 revolver handy, my 30-30 lever action handy, Just bought a 12 gauge - that will be handy. Wife just got a little Italian .25 to learn to shoot with and is going to a shooting course in the spring - she'll keep that handy then she can work her way up the chain to the others. Starting my AR build - I'll keep that handy too. Basically, they are all in different places in the house and something is available no matter where I am.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Frankentrike;

Not enough info to help you make a wise and informed decision, IMHO.
But what Gunny and JLA have said bears re-reading and study again IMHO.

What is your home situation, HOUSE, YARD, condo, apartment, wife, kids, dogs,(early warning device) what have you done first and foremost to " harden your perimeter?
In other words what have you done to make your home look formidable or to make your neighbors look like the easier target? Security signs in your yard, vicious dog signs in the yard, (even if you have neither), a sign in your yard pointing to your neighbor saying "he is anti gun, unarmed and he has gold coins" great big chew bones I mean the size of the front axle on your truck and all beat up with your chain saw to look like an alligator has been at it.

Obviously you have not made or thought about a PLAN should your home be attacked and "walking around in your hallways (fatal funnels) calling names and looking for the BG" are not conducive to your good health or possible survival.
All of these things should be addressed before you try to decide which is the best gun for defense and a handgun is usually not the answer for any number of reasons.
Gunny said it best, you will be addled to say the least if and or when an actual break in occurs. The first thing that will happen regardless of time of night is both cheeks of your a$$ will fall off. Then your brain begins to shunt blood to the largest organs etc to help with the "flight or fight" extremes. This means that your fine motor skills are kaput immediately or within the first two seconds. This causes dexterity problems instantly which will have drastic effects on small gun handling abilities. Just some food for thought and for future study.

Home defense is usually best accomplished with a good shotgun and no it does NOT have to be a 12 ga. A good 20 with #4 buck or even 4 shot is a great equalizer and under duress a much more accurate defender. Semi auto more than a pump for ease of continued operation for you and possibly for the little lady.
Remember what JLA and Gunny said about the little woman and if you have one she should be included in every phase of your defense plan including the shooting. So in deciding and including her, remember she will need to practice as much as you do to become and remain competent with whatever you choose.
If it is too powerful or too noisy, she may not want to participate in spite of your wishes. Is she as dedicated to defense as you and if not, only half of your fighting force is available, YOU and there may or could be any number of reasons at the outset of the fight that take YOU out of it. Perhaps you are physically involved with the perp so she or one of the kids must know how and when to get the tool(s) to end the fight and save your keister in the process.

So before making a choice, or asking for professional help arm yourself and us with some more info.

Another item, do not be bashful about asking for help. EVERYONE here started from scratch at some point. Go to a range as suggested and ask for one of their professional instructors. Tell him or her your story with some of the info above and ask for their professional advice. They have no ax to grind in selling you something only in helping provide a background of possible equipment and it's uses.

There is no such thing as a "popgun". There are more people and game killed with 22LR every year than any four other calibers combined. Not trying to sell you anything but again as mentioned by JLA and Gunny, a 22 with Velocitor or stinger HPs and a well placed shot can really ruin a person's day. It is not yet the caliber as much as it is what where and how you PLAN to defend.

Hope this helps as it will help us to help you.

Yes I too have been a dealer and instructor for both LEO and civilian throughout 13 states since 1978. I have helped answer questions just like yours for 30 plus years. As with the others here, it is a pleasure to help new and old gun handlers with questions.
But we simply need more info to be of the greatest help to you.

Happy New Year.

UF

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Uncle you make me sound like some kind of home security expert. I don't consider myself one, but thanks for compliment :D .

I would add one other thing for his consideration that you alluded to.

Where is that bullet going to go if you miss? Modern construction is no barrier to high powered bullets, and if you live in a multifamily structure or have neighbors close by in a typical suburban neighborhood, they may not appreciate bullets whizzing thru their living room or bedroom. The point being that selection of ammunition is just as important as selection of the firearm. Some of us who live out in the woods with no neighbors in range of a miss don't have to worry about it, but most folks aren't so lucky.

This is one of the great advantages of a shotgun, you can choose a shell pellet load that will take down the bad guy without endangering your neighbors.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Thanks Gunny but your advice along with JLAs was right on. Same for this post about the bullet choices.

It is why we need to know more of his circumstances before making recommendations.

I am truly interested in his PLAN as well as most who are truly serious about defense whether in the home or on the street have to have a plan and then practice and work to the solutions within the plan.

Then I believe we can really give the info he needs to help he and his family etc.

HNY

UF

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Thanks Gunny but your advice along with JLAs was right on. Same for this post about the bullet choices.

It is why we need to know more of his circumstances before making recommendations.

I am truly interested in his PLAN as well as most who are truly serious about defense whether in the home or on the street have to have a plan and then practice and work to the solutions within the plan.

Then I believe we can really give the info he needs to help he and his family etc.

HNY

UF
I agree that a security plan that takes account of what has been discussed regarding location, etc. is needed, but he may not be comfortable sharing specific info on-line - too risky. I don't get specific with my security for that reason.

So I think the best we can offer is some general guidance without asking too many questions. I'd suggest he locate a local respectable security company to work out the specifics tailored to his situation.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Uncle, I should have mentioned that I have more trouble with 4 legged critters (rabbits, deer, etc.) eating my garden than I do with the 2 legged variety. We'll probably have a problem with feral pigs in the next couple years. :bleh:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts