Which Glock sight for self-defense carry?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by jacoby75, Feb 28, 2016.

1. jacoby75

jacoby75 Member

Hey guys,

I recently acquired a Glock 22 .40 cal used as a law enforcement trade-in. It has Trijicon night sights on it that are burned out. They're basically just three black dots. Also pretty useless in daylight. I intend to use this primarily for self-defense, and am debating between a couple of unique self-defense type sights, and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to why I should pick one or the other (or something entirely different). I am a 41yr old guy, so part of what attracts me to these sights is the ease and quickness of target acquisition. One complaint I have heard about both of these is that they are not as accurate at longer distances. I will never be a competitive shooter, though I sometimes do a little plinking for fun. I'm looking for short range taking out of bad guys when somebody threatens me or mine. At 20+ yards, you'd better either be a cop or have a really good reason for not fleeing the scene instead of taking the shot. So I'm not AS concerned about long range accuracy. Except for maybe when it comes to a SHTF scenario or that zombie apocalypse finally happens. But I've got other guns for both of those scenarios.

Here are the sights I am considering:

1) XS Big Dot sight
    http://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993227

2) Dead Ringer Snake Eyes:
    https://deadringerhunting.com/product/snake-eyes/

A
    bout the only thing that stands out to me at this point (besides the obvious differences in design), is that maybe the Snake Eyes would be a little more accurate at greater distances because in addition to the ring it has the three-dot sight. Although I gotta say the three dots seem a bit higher than they would be on a standard three-dot sight, unless that's just an optical illusion (pun intended). I love the idea of the big dot point and shoot and quick acquisition.

Any feedback you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. jonb32248

jonb32248 Active Member

My thoughts on the after market sights are this, they're all very expensive. I have the same problem that you have, the stuff inside has lost it's power. Until I get the money or decide what sights to install I have found that simple nail polish works just fine. I put bright orange on the front and bright yellow in the middle on the rear sight. Yes in the middle of the rear sight! It works very well. It makes acquisition of the front and rear sight very easy and fast. Try it before you buy or until you buy. I just got back from the range and it works really well.

3. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

If you HAVE to go with one of your two choices, mine would be the XS

as to your 2nd choice, I am puzzled as to why you would want a rear aperture peep sight on a hand gun for personal defense.

I have found the TFO sights to be wonderful , day light or pitch dark and they make the transition instantly

4. TN Outlaw

TN Outlaw Well-Known Member

I 2nd the TFO sight. In a SD scenerio im not even sure you will see the sight. Prob just point towards the BG and squeeze. The only way to have a chance to aim is for your sights to jump out at you. The TFO sights jump out during the day using fiberobtic and are extremely bright at night thanks to the tritium. No matter what time of day or night they are bright.

5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

You will never see the sights in a self defense situation ..... day or night.

rcairflr likes this.
  6. jacoby75

jacoby75 Member

Touche. That's why I ultimately went with the XS Big Dot. Point the big, knobby dot at the bad guy and pull the trigger. I've only been to the range one time with it thus far, but I like it. It's easy enough to put the dot on the stick and go bang. I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's not as accurate at longer distances as a traditional 3-dot sight, but if you're shooting at a bad guy at 40-50 yards away . . . and you're not a cop . . . you've got some 'splaining to do.