Which is the better choice?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by GoodOl'12gauge, Apr 5, 2009.

1. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

I have the choice between a glock 21 or a glock 17. Ill be using it for personell protection,pin shoots, woods gun and just to shoot. Sort of an everything pistol. I cant afford to buy both so what do you guys think? Pros,cons, you know whatever. Thanks.

2. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

well..id much rather have a .45 for a "woods gun" and for protection. but the 9mil will be cheaper on ammo. id like to have a Glock 21 but its a bit to big for my hand. if it were me and i the 21 fit my hand, thats what id go with. but thats just what id do...;)

3. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

G21 is a tiny bit longer and wider. It is a few oz heavier. Depending on your hand it may be a chore to grip. It is a bit harder to conceal too.

For pin shooting though, .45 acp has a real advantage.

Anytime you're looking for an "anything" pistol, you're kinda on course to get a weapon that's okay at everything but great for nothing. You need to prioritize and accept where you're cool being a bit short, IMHO. I put more virtue in training and accuracy than caliber, so I like the G17. But if you're happier with an 11mm instead of 9mm you'll probably not regret the G21.

4. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Isn't the actual translation.... 11.25 mm? :D:D:D:D

5. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

What a difficult question for me to answer... :D:D;)

G17.... affordable ammo and more available. Premium Ammo is pretty good if you stick to the 115 grain stuff. Less recoil so you can concentrate on learing the Glocks slightly different trigger pull. And nobody has ever complained about the 17's grip being to large.

G21... Better caliber... 45acp. Will stop an attacker much quicker than the 9mm. Attacking dog...one shot if placed properly will end the attack on the spot. Its more entertaining than the 9mm. I get bored with the 9mm because it does not have enough kick.

My suggestion is this Go to the gunshop. Hold both of them in your hand. If the G21 even remotely seems like it would be to big...then get the G17. If it does not feel to big in your hand then get the G21.
    One thing about the G21 to remember is that if you decide to get a Hogue slip on rubber grip...it will increase the size of the grip a bit.

Glocks viable models are anything in 9mm, 45, and their full size 10mm. Take a pass on their 40sw and 357sig. Unsupported chambers of which no good will come from them... :(
    Not to mention i am starting to dislike the .40 anyways.

mike
    gn

6. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

Split the diff and get a G22. Superb pistols, the most popular police service handgun in the country.

7. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

I reload .45 and 9mm. I have held both guns and they both fit well in my hands. I still cant figure on which one to get

8. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was told to not use re-loads in Glocks. I did it anyways and my Glock 30 SF blew up in my hand. Nasty situation. Now after the re-build, I only use new.

9. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

the glock didn't "blow up" because you used reloads it blew up because you used a mis-loaded reload. reloads if made correctly are as safe to use as factory made ammo.

10. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Glock 30 SF blew up in my hand.

Are Glocks still using the partially-supported firing chamber?

11. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

It is important to remember no lead projectiles in the Glock hexigonal barrels. Reloads are fine as long as with in recomended limits and are jacketed.

I like my G21 a lot. Don't have a G17 but do have a G19 and I like it alot too. I seem to shoot better with the G21.

12. SARG

SARG Member

What next ..... the world is spinning out of control .... and now the Glocknut has defamed the G22.

The world is crumbling around me.

13. SARG

SARG Member

I might as well go ahead and change my Avatar now
    [​IMG]

14. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

I've had a G22 since 2000 and it's been 100 percent reliable. It's a SUPERB pistol. If it wasn't, it would not be the SINGLE MOST POPULAR POLICE PISTOL IN THE U.S., by far.

15. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

If you plan to shoot a lot get the 9mm, your wallet will thank you. If it more of a defense gun, with the allure of shooting occasionally get the 45. Or if you are rich (in which case I suspect you would be getting both :D).

Mike, I swear I saw a .50 conversion kit for Glocks at the gun show this weekend! :D