Which new 1911-A1 to buy

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. ysacres

ysacres Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Wed Turner
    (3/3/03 12:09:00 am)
    Reply Which new 1911-A1 to buy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just recently got addicted to shooting and I'm curious about what guns to get. I've been reading this forum for a few weeks gathering information but it doesn't seem like anyone has really answered what I'm looking for. If this question has been asked before I apologize. Anyhow here's my first gun:

It's an old Colt goverment model 1911 that we found when my great uncle died and we cleaned out his house. I've wanted a .45 ever since I was 18 and when we found this and it said goverment model on it I was in love. But my dad, for whatever reason wouldn't let me have it. Anyhow, for my birthday last year, he finally pulled it out from under his bed (where it had been for 4 years) and gave it to me. Imagine my excitement, finally I would have the gun I wanted for so long and could finally shoot it. To my surprise when we took it to get it looked at we found out the good/bad news. It's a great gun and in great shape, but it's a collectors item. Needless to say I don't want to shoot it to terribly often. So I went out and bought a Sig Pro 9mm which is a great gun and I like to shoot it (9mm ammo is so much cheaper). But I love the 1911, it's a great gun to shoot, so I want to get another one. Something new that I can shoot and not feel guilty about. So I started looking and MAN the variety and choices are over whelming! I don't want to spend but maybe $600, I'd be willing to spend a little more but I'd have to have good reason. So I've been looking at the Colts and Springfields and wonder what you guys suggest. I'm not a professional shooter and won't ever be. This isn't going to be a target gun it's just a shoot and have fun gun. I just want something reliable and consistant. I have two friends that just bought Springfield XD's and really like them and I've shot both and they seem to be well put together. The lifetime warranty gives me loads of confidence in my purchase and the mil-spec versions seem to be about the cheapest out there. So if you've made it this far through the post I'd really appreciate your input.

shogans
    (3/3/03 1:11:36 am)
    Reply I'm no professional
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well everyones telling me my grandpa's gun which looks like the gun you have there holster and all is worth as a collector about 600 dollars.

Wed Turner
    (3/3/03 1:53:37 am)
    Reply Just repeating...
    Multiple people at different shops have appraised mine at anwhere from $1500 up to $2000. It's an orignal 1911 not the A1. One of the dealers tracked the serial number (only 5 digits) and was apparently made in or around 1917. The low serial number accounts for the majority of the value is what I'm told.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/3/03 10:12:50 am)
    Reply Re: Just repeating...
    Hi Wed.....welcome to TFF.....and especially to the 1911Nuts Forum!

Yeah, once you've been bitten by the 1911 bug, anything else is "just another pistol".

You really can't go wrong with any 1911 from the Big 3....Colt, Kimber, or Springfield.

However, if you're just looking for a plinker, I'd recommend an arsenal refurbished Argentine Systema Colt Modelo 1927....IMO, the biggest bargain in an M1911A1 out there. They were made under Colt license, on Colt machinery, and are fully Colt quality......and they only cost about $300! www.cruffler.com/JLD.html

Hey, for that price, you can get two!

Chas
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/3/03 5:06:37 pm)
    Reply pistole
    Welcome to TFF, Wed!

Iffin ya take ol' Xracer's advice, an get ya two of them thar pistols fer the price o' one...I'll be more den happy to keep da one comp'ny whiles yer shootin' da other one. Happy to ablidge any way I can...yes sir...just send it on my way...yesssiree.

Good pic of the Gov't and holster!

Chuck

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/3/03 9:29:47 pm)
    Reply Re: pistole
    Yeah, Chas.....you're all heart!

Wed Turner
    (3/3/03 11:20:19 pm)
    Reply Re: pistole
    Thanks for the compliments. I really just love shooting that gun even though I know I shouldn't shoot it too much. I deffinately want another 1911 to shoot. There is just something special about these guns. Thanks for the link to the used guns. I'm deffinately going to consider it. But for $150 I can pick up a brand new springfield and get a lifetime warranty. That lifetime warranty is a real draw in my book. Not that I think anything would go wrong with it, hell my Colt was built in 1917 and it still shoots fine. But it deffinately gives me peice of mind. Plus I like the flat black look of the mil-spec springfield. I'll keep you guys posted on what I get.

Went shooting for my first time (only rifles and black powder once before) on the 15th of Feb. Bought my Sig Pro on the 19th and I'm already seriously considering another. Damn this sport is addicting. But it's deffinately cheaper than a therapist!

shogans
    (3/4/03 9:50:37 pm)
    Reply springfeild
    Uh please pick a second of those springfields for 150 for me.

I'm being serious. Or tell me where and how. Now I gotta have one.

Wed Turner
    (3/4/03 10:53:40 pm)
    Reply Whoops!
    Whoops! Mis-typed that. I meant to say for $150 more (meaning more than the argentines) I could get a springfield with a lifetime warranty. Heck if I could find a new 1911 for $150 I'd buy them ALL!!