The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently aquired a Remington 1911 and I'm very happy with it. Now that I have the R1 I want to get another Government size 1911. I'm looking at Sig, Ruger, and Colt 1911s. I'm interested in their basic offerings with the prices between $700.00 to $1200.00 dollars. Of the three I mentioned which 1911 would be the better choice? I'm trending towards the Ruger SR1911 but I really like the way the Sig 1911 looks. ;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
The best 1911 is the one you like when it's in your hands plus it's fit and finish that appeals to us. I would close in on an exact price range and go looking. Now any functioning 1911 will serve you well. But finding a quality built, flawless, functioning in any price range can be a problem. I've had some more expensive 1911 that we're more for throwing than shooting.
I would read the reviews more closely as well get some info here. I accept I can have problems with any new 1911 no matter how much it costs but it can be repaired in most cases. I find that 95% of the time it can be the extractor or the magazine with feeding problems with any new 1911.

Now I read the reviews on my new Auto-Ordnance Army 1911a1 and they were ok but the new AO preformed better than the gun rags said there's did. I would believe the guys here first. Bill

Btw, My personal preference is the no bells, no whistles, no bull, plain jane 1911's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your advice BigBill, I will start some research on the Auto-Ordnance. I do however like the way the SR1911 and Sig Nightmare looks but in the case of guns, look's aren't everything.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
i like my springfield loaded plenty.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
I agree, I've never actually run across a bad 1911. I have one made by Citadel which is a RIA subsidiary in the Philippines. Shoots everything I put into it - I just had to polish the feed ramps just a little to feed wad cutters. Never a FTF, but I could feel the tiny hiccup when racking the slide.

Personally, I'll take any 1911 I can afford.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thank you very much for your advice BigBill, I will start some research on the Auto-Ordnance. I do however like the way the SR1911 and Sig Nightmare looks but in the case of guns, look's aren't everything.
I went looking for a shooter/beater 1911 that I could abuse fir a very low cost figuring it would be flawless in performance. I found the new AO much better than the 1911 I was looking for so my quest continues.

But your looking for a 1911 well above what I want. Buy the one your gut feeling is telling you to get. If your second guessing you gut feeling then back off till you decide that's what I do when I'm looking. Bb

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Sig, STI spartan, desert eagle, smith E series...there is 4 I can say will serve you well. But a rock island will also do the trick..

·
Garandaholic
9,512 Posts
Last week another thread was started asking the same thing. I'll answer the same way;

I have a SIG 1911STX, I can't say enough good things about it, and everybody who's handled/shot it feels the same way.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Its hard to find a bad 1911. As stated tho, any can have flaws, but usually a simple fix. I have a 70 series Colt Combat Commander, and aThompson Auto Ordnance (west hurley). Both have had several upgrades but I will trust my and my family's life on them, due to them being reliable and accurate. A good friend has a Springfield loaded trophy match, and while being pretty and fancy, it shoots the same. It has a tighter fit overall but that requires keeping it very clean. For a plain jane 1911, a lot of people seem to like the price and function of the RIAs. Nothing wrong there in my opinion (i havent shot one though). Fancy finishes may get the looks, but the truth is in the shootin.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well, Springfield, Sig, and Ruger would be my go to companies. The gun store I frequent says that Colt and Kimber are living on their name when it comes to much of their product lines. You pay 50% of the price to have their name on it and 50% for the gun.....well, maybe worse than that. He isn't at all impressed with either company at this point. I have seen quite a few of both fail at the local ranges too, so I believe him. He said products from Colt for government contracts are top notch, but the average joe isn't getting that stuff.
I would probably lean towards Sig, if I had the $$$ to burn. Springfield second and Ruger 3rd. I would be happy with the Ruger for sure though. Saw an old poser at the range that pretends he is a retired Marine shooting his reloads in a Ruger Alaskan .454 Cassull. Almost every cylinder had a double charged round in it. A Smith would have been blown in half for sure after the 1st one. The Ruger shot a ton of them. If you can't kill it with a bullet you can beat it to death with a Ruger. They are tanks!
Oh, the rifle line from Kimber is fabulous. Haven't seen any of them fail. Some companies should stay with what they are good at. Volvo should make cars and not heavy equipment for example. Kimber should make rifles.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Just not sold on the ruger 1911. I have a bunch of 1911s and I want several more and the ruger isnt on the list. To each their own. This is why there are so many different successful gun companies.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Honestly, I haven't shot one yet. I have heard good things about them and Ruger puts out great products all around...especially for the $$$. The Ruger 1911s have been pretty hard to come by around here. There are 1 or 2 Ruger products that I won't buy like that Scout rifle, just not my cup of tea. But, their M77s are one of God's gifts to shooters IMO along with the the WFT trimmer, progressive reloaders, Varget powder, the .300 BLK, etc. etc. etc. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I thought Colt's were the best until I got my hands on a Les Baer. Give one a try. They are pricey, but worth every penney.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well, not much compares to Les Bauer. I am only about 30 miles from their facility. I have so many gun wants on my wish list I can't bring myself to spend that much on a 1911. Realistically Les Bauer and Wilson Combat are the BEST .45s available. But, you can drop $2,500 easily on one and that is entry level.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
If you have enough money to buy what you want, buy a Kimber :)

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
If you have enough money to buy what you want, buy a Kimber :)
I respectfully disagree...I would buy a sig and a few others before I would buy a kimber...go read the reports...

·
Premium Member
19,857 Posts
I respectfully disagree...I would buy a sig and a few others before I would buy a kimber...go read the reports...
Double D what is wrong with the Ruger? I love the look and feel of this gun but if there are issues I would remove from my list. We are seeing them here in the gun shops now.

How about the Remington? I like the looks of both these guns and they both are affordable.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Nothing wrong with the ruger if thats what you want. I just think there are better choices out there. Its just my opinion. Everybodys got an opinion. Many people are paying close to 800 for the ruger and there are just so many options out there in that price range. I own one of these....just an example...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,857 Posts
That S&W looks sweet. I haven't seen any here yet.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I recently aquired a Remington 1911 and I'm very happy with it. Now that I have the R1 I want to get another Government size 1911. I'm looking at Sig, Ruger, and Colt 1911s. I'm interested in their basic offerings with the prices between $700.00 to $1200.00 dollars. Of the three I mentioned which 1911 would be the better choice? I'm trending towards the Ruger SR1911 but I really like the way the Sig 1911 looks. ;)
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR1911CMD.htm

One of the best 1911's I own & just as good as most of my Colts.

Ruger did it right with a 70 series style, match grade bushing & barrel with a 3.5 - 4 pound trigger, extended thumb safety & mag release, titanium fireing pin with heavy duty fireing pin spring. I pair $675.00 for mine, been carrying it every day for the last 6 weeks. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.outdoorchannel.com/article.aspx?id=13227

1 - 20 of 66 Posts