The Firearms Forum banner

Which one should I Buy... Marlin 60 or Remington 552?

5K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  Twicepop 
#1 ·
Well, I found a few extra bucks and I want an accurate autoloader....want to be able to hit a beer can at 50 yards regularly....Marlin 60 will do it, but for whatever reason, I think I want a Remington 552....at today's prices I can buy 3 Marlin 60's for the price of what the Remington will cost (Bud's Gun Shop)....logic says buy the Marlin, but I really want that Remington......What to do? Please help with the Pros and Cons of each choice..........Thanks,

Aligater

#10 ·
Since they're both made by Remington now, it really doesn't matter. But if you like the idea of easy reloading, go for a Marlin 795 - it's a model 60 with a box magazine instead of a tube. Promag makes a 25-round magazine for it, too.

#13 ·
I have owned the Remington 552, and I own a Marlin 60. If I had to have only the 552, or the Marlin, I would have to choose the Remington. Not because it's more accurate, because it ain't, but because it's so much prettier, and it shoots anything you feed it. But that Remington had better not have a Monty Carlo stock on it!

#18 ·
Can't go wrong with either.. However the Remington being able to handle shorts, longs and long rifle ammo is a real plus.. The use of shorts comes in really handy when the game gets a little gun shy toward the end of the season or if you are taking care of a pesky possum in your back yard.. My Bro has one that is super accurate and doesn't care what you feed it.. mix the shorts, long rifle ammo..It doesn't matter so long as the ammo is clean. Dave from Deep South Georgia.. Howdy Y'all...

#24 ·
Welcome to the forum!

#20 ·
I just left a pawn shop that has a stainless Model 60 with a nice wood stock that hasn't been beaten up for $179.00. It looked sharp to me. Also fits me much better than do 10/22's.

Reactions: carver and joe45c
#21 ·
I have had numerous mdl 60's and given them to family members etc.I like them. But I LOVE my Rem 552 and would never give it away. Just my .02 worth but it's your money of course. You can't go wrong with either.

Reactions: joe45c and carver
#22 ·
Okay, I just took the time to look up a Remington 552 Speedmaster to see what the deal really is and after, I'd say go with the Remington. That's a cool looking rifle. While you're enjoying the 552 you can keep your eyes peeled for a good deal on the Model 60.

Reactions: joe45c and carver
#23 ·
Me.......I'd get the Marlin 60. It'll do everything as well as the 552 except look Purdy. Nothing wrong with a nice looking gun mind you but I'd get a lot more use out of the plain gun that shoots just as well. I would take a SS model 60 anywhere, the 552......likely not. You could put a pretty nice scope, if so desired, on the 60 and still wouldn't spend 1/2 what the Remington will set you back.........your priorities, your call.:cool:

#25 ·
I used to hit target's out to 100 yards with my old model 60 quite well... Gosh I miss that rifle.

Reactions: joe45c
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.