The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to choose between a 9mm or a 357 to carry for personal protection which would it be

·
Registered
44 Posts
I carry a S&W 340pd in 357, so I would say 357. I like a revolver and I like the 357 round so thats why.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
357 in a wheelie, no doubt

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
It depends on the situation, which is why we need more than one sidearm and be proficient with more than one.

I have both and carry both albeit not at the same time.

For CCW, I find myself carrying the 9 more often due to magazine capacity. I believe in the methodology called "Stream of Fire" or "Sustained Fire". Basically I choose to put myself in a position where I can double-tap eight times if SHTF than three without reloading. Also if I carry one extra mag, that allows me sixteen double-taps.

For hunting it's the .357 with the 9 in my day pack.
For fishing, it's the 9.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
If you had to choose between a 9mm or a 357 to carry for personal protection which would it be
While I like the .357 caliber much more than the 9mm, I would have to choose the 9mm for CCW, but the .357 would be my choice for around the house, and home protection. My reasoning is that out in public, you may well need more rounds than a revolver can deliver, without reloading. The 9mm is a proven fight stopper if the shooter of the gun is doing his part, putting rounds where they count. The .357 will run circles around the 9mm in the stopping department.

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
9mm
2 extra mags
Capability of 52 rounds is attractive to me.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Caliber? 357 all day. But with my semi auto skills, 9mm 100% as you have much more firepower. Unless you're jerry miculik, a wheely is limited in capacity

·
Registered
263 Posts
A 9mm for the same reasons (more rounds),and the magnum load will over penatrate,not good in a populated area. It is illeagal to carry magnum loads for my profession here in IL,same for LE I've heard.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Over penatration is a problem with both the .357, and the 9mm. I've seen thru-n-thru wounds with the 9mm. If we chose the proper bullet for the job we can eliminate the over penatration problem. Bullets that open up fast, slow down fast. Lighter bullets that open up fast slow down faster!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I shoot the 9MM just fine and if you need more ammo then that is the way to go but I have hunted everything from squirrels to deer with revolvers and am confident in my ability to keep my rounds on target at 100 yards and close enough to be dangerous at 200 yards with the .357. That and my propensity to shoot heavy LSWC bullets leaves the 9 lacking in my world. I'll accept a slower reload and a reduced capacity in order to place a lager heavier round on target. Since most confrontations take place at close range the ability to lay a world of hurt on a boogerman with the first shot is a comfort thing for me so make mine a .357 magnum.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
What I use for self defense and home defense is my ruger 357 magnum 6 gun. A 6 gun will never fail unless there is defective ammo in the cylinder. So go with a 357 magnum revolver

1 - 20 of 54 Posts