Which tumbler media works best?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Mac0083, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Mac0083

Mac0083 New Member

While i'm waiting for Midway to ship my press and dies, at least i have received my tumbler. On the first run, i used corncob and Brasso. After an hour it looked okay. On the second run, i used "pool filter Sand" (crushed quartz) and no Brasso. It was Squeaky Clean!!! But it was dull and flat, not shiny. It looked sandblasted. Don't know if this will cause any problems, i'll find out when i get my press and finally start loading.

2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I also use corn cob. I used to use Flutz at 7.00 a bottle. Then one day at the grocery store I saw brasso like you did and it was half the price and I got twice as much. I use a heavy amount of brasso the first time for how ever long you want (1 hour - 12 hours) but then i tumble a second time 1/2 hour with dry media and it comes out real nice

3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd use that quartz powder as a cleaning media for brass. It could possibly wind up scratching your dies if any of the powder gets embeded into the brass as they're being cleaned.

I'd stick with corncob or walnut myself. Corncob and Brasso is what I use too...with a short run in dry corncob to get all the polish residue off.
    I'm still only about halfway through my first bag of corncob media so it'll be quite a while until I need to get more...I'll probably stick with corncob since it seems to be working just fine for me.

4. Mac0083

Mac0083 New Member

I thought about the quartz damaging the dies, however, i ordered carbide dies so that might not be a problem.
    Which one's better, Corncob or Walnut? Why?

5. RFL

RFL New Member

I use treated corncob media by Frankford Arsenal purchased from Midway. I've use several different types and brands over the last 30 years and this seems to serve well. The price is right, and it will leave your brass looking better than new. The main reason I use it is because the media is a smaller grit than say Lyman's. Since you must clean the primer pocket, flash hole and make sure the media is not stuck inside the case, the smaller the grit the easier to clean those flash holes.

6. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I have always used the crushed walnut shells and the brass has always come out looking good.

7. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I like corn cob media best.

8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't remember exactly what brand I use, but it is corncob and comes in a gallon plastic jug and is kinda Green in color. It really works great. I usually throw in the brass and just let it vibrate for a day or two and it really comes out shiney. I reuse the media over and over again, when it seems to take longer to shine then I add a little bit of what I think is Lyman media rejuvinator and it starts working like new again.

I apologize for keep saying I think, but, that is because it is the middle of the night and I don't want to walk out to my reloading building to look.

EDIT: Since it is now daytime (11:30am), I walked out to see what I use. It is Lyman "Easy Pour" Turbo Green Corncob media and the rejuvinator is Lyman Turbo Media Recharger.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  9. artabr

artabr New Member

I've heard that it wasn't good to use Brasso due to the ammonia it contains and ammonias effect on brass.
    I use Flitz also.

If anybody is looking for cheaper prices on media check around at Sandblasting supply houses. A 50 pound bag of crushed walnut will run you about $22 bucks.

Art

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  10. 3ME

3ME New Member

I use corncob with a small blob of Dillon brass cleaner and a small blob (scientific measuring term, I am sure) of liquid Turtle Wax. It works great. I do caution you to wear a respirator or good dust mask when you dump it out from the tumbler and any time you are using a media separator to get the used corncob media and the brass separated again. The dust is a nose killer and it will knock you for a loop if you breathe it in.

11. army mp

army mp Member

I use the walnut shells, and put a dryer sheet in to clean up the dust, I use the Lyman reactivater. I have heard guys talk about using car wax. Has anyone used it with the nutshells. And will it replace the lyman stuff.

12. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

;) Flitz has ammonia as a cleaning agent too. Check the MSDS...or just use your nose. :)
    Both Flitz and Brasso are basic silica-abrasive polishes with a very small percentage of ammonia in the mix to work as a chemical cleaning agent for brass/copper in a Stoddard Solvent (White Spirits) based carrier.

When you "load" your tumbling media with either one, the ammonia will evaporate out fairly quickly as will the Stoddard Solvent...leaving you with basically just the silica abrasive powder. When I recharge my media, I'll add the polish to an empty tumbler (just the media...no brass) and run it for ten minutes or so to distribute the cleaner throughout the media.

Even when freshly loaded up, the short time that we're tumbling our brass isn't enough to let any serious harm come to the metal from the small amount of ammonia in there. The ammonia only works with gusto when you're using it straight out of the bottle on a rag and even then it's evaporating out pretty quickly...that's why it smells as strong as it does.

If it is a concern, there are polishes out there that contain no ammonia at all, like Dillon polish. These work just fine too.

13. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

:confused::) Good information Pard, I use walnut shells, and Flitz and have great results, but I'm going to try your method, it makes good since.

Thanks for sharing this with us

:D tEN wOLVES

14. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I just started putting a little turtle wax in my walnut, the results have been fantastic, I don't get much more shine than before, I just get it in about half the time.

Kyle

15. bluzy788

bluzy788 New Member

What's the hurry? Put the media in the tumbler, add the brass and then forget about it for a while. Why do you have to add caustic chemicals when you can obtain the same results without them?

I've used walnut and corn and the difference is the walnut-cleaned brass comes out with a light film coating. I've cleaned extremely tarnished brass with both by just leaving the tumbler running. I put the brass in the tumbler and then go to work. I turn it off when I get home and the brass is clean.

If you're in that much of a hurry to have clean brass, you need to buy some more brass.

The fast food/MTV/immediate gratification societal yearnings shouldn't apply to reloading. It's a calculated and methodical activity. Slow down and enjoy the ride.