Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Whitneyville Musket Value?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Tyler Crone, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Tyler Crone

Tyler Crone New Member

My father has, what I believe to be, a Whitneyville .58 Caliber model 1861 musket from the Civil War. I see these for sale online in great condition for ~$2,000. This one is probably in fair condition and also has a shorter stock than those I can find online (looks like the front of the stock was cut off underneath the barrel).

Any idea of what its value is? I'm thinking somewhere around $600? IMG_1679.JPG IMG_1680.JPG IMG_1681.JPG IMG_1682.JPG IMG_1683.JPG

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

You need to post some clear, close up pictures made in natural light.

Kweeksdraw likes this.

3. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Please recheck the caliber. It looks like a Model 1861 Plymouth Navy Rifle from the finger rest on the trigger guard. They were 69 caliber. The forend has been cut and maybe the barrel. This negatively affects value a great deal.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  4. Tyler Crone

Tyler Crone New Member

Thanks for the reply. I don't think the actual barrel has been shortened, only the stock.

What's the easiest way to check the caliber? Just measure the inside barrel diameter?

5. Old Guns

If the barrel has not been cut then it will have a sight and a long bar on the side to mount a bayonet. The bore can be measured as you stated. .69 is a little shy of 3/4 of an inch.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  6. Tyler Crone

Tyler Crone New Member

I finally measured the bore, and you are correct. The inside of the bore is just shy of 3/4 of an inch. Here are some better pictures in natural light. It looks like, at one time, there was a mount on the side of the barrel for a bayonet.

Can you anyone give me an estimate of what this might be worth?
    IMG_1797.JPG IMG_1798.JPG IMG_1799.JPG IMG_1800.JPG IMG_1801.JPG IMG_1791.JPG IMG_1793.JPG IMG_1794.JPG IMG_1795.JPG IMG_1796.JPG

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  7. Old Guns

The cut stock really hurts the value. The missing bayonet lug also does it no favors. It was actually turned into a poor mans shotgun. Many of these guns suffered this fate. 500 dollars is an estimate. It can be repaired with some skill and time.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  8. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

In my opinion Old Guns is right about the 500 but also in my opinion if you're trying to sell it it might take awhile to find somebody willing to give that.

Kweeksdraw likes this.