The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts
A baker I am not. However, my wife used to bake about 1500 loaves a year and still does custom baking on order. That I remember she bakes; Sourdough white, sourdough wheat, (grinds her own wheat), sourdough garlic/cheese, sourdough cinnamon rolls and loafs, banana nut, zucchini nut, both without nuts and my favorite, sourdough rye. She also baked around 1200 pies a year, all with homemade crust and fresh fruits. Her pumpkin pie filling does not come out of a can. She cooks down pumpkins. It's a lot more like a custard than the blue squash that's in a can.

In fairness, my wife along with a German lady who baked traditional German breads in round loaves, (GOOD STUFF TOO), were THE bread ladies at our farmer's market. Joyce was THE pie and brownie lady, hands down. Last year was her last. She's no longer a vendor....but she ain't forgot how!

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,792 Posts
I used to bake a lot of breads and other baked goodies. Back in the day I had kids living with me to help me consume it. My favorite was a basic white bread, with sharp cheddar cheese and finely diced jalapeno pepper added. Yummmmm... Last night I cheated and made biscuits and sausage gravy using frozen Grands Buttermilk biscuits (they come in a bag of 38 at Sam's Club), a quart of pepper gravy (made from a bag, ala Sam's) and a chub of hot pork sausage. Thank you, Lord, for the invention of Omeprazole!

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,792 Posts
While we're on the subject, where do you get a decent sourdough starter? I've tried over and over to use commercial starters, and to get a starter going from airborne yeasts. All I ever got was a batch of moldy flour paste. That's a huge disappointment, since the (almost) only bread I ever buy is sourdough; I love the stuff!

·
Registered
183 Posts
While we're on the subject, where do you get a decent sourdough starter? I've tried over and over to use commercial starters, and to get a starter going from airborne yeasts. All I ever got was a batch of moldy flour paste. That's a huge disappointment, since the (almost) only bread I ever buy is sourdough; I love the stuff!
I tries several times to make a sourdough starter with mixed results.
but found this one:
Wild Grape Starter

Recipe By:Sharon

"Use unwashed, organically grown red or purple grapes for this recipe. The white powder found on the skins of the grapes is yeast. If you wish, you can switch to bread flour on the 5th day. The starter is fully active and ready to use in 9 days."

Ingredients
  • 1 pound grapes
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
Directions
  1. Stem grapes into a medium mixing bowl. Crush with hands. Cover with cheesecloth, and set aside for three days at room temperature.
  2. After three days there should be bubbles in the grape juice, indicating fermentation has begun. Strain liquid, and discard skins. Return to bowl, and stir in 1 cup whole wheat flour. Set aside for 24 hours at room temperature.
  3. Measure 1 cup starter, discard any extra, and transfer to a 1 quart glass or ceramic container with a lid. Stir in 1 scant cup bread flour and 1 cup water. The mixture should resemble a thick batter; add more water or flour if necessary to achieve this consistency. Cover loosely with lid. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours. Repeat the following day. Some activity should be noticeable: the mixture should be starting to bubble. Repeat twice more. You will need to discard some of the mixture each day.
  4. Starter should be quite active. Begin feeding regularly, every 4 to 6 hours, doubling the starter each time. For instance, if you have 1 cup starter, add 1 cup bread flour and 1 cup water. Alternatively, store in the refrigerator, and feed weekly.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/7219/wild-grape-starter/print/?recipeType=Recipe&servings=1&isMetric=false

It works really well, but I hate throwing out starter every time I feed it.
I found a no waste method on a web site called, Bake with Jack. He is English and has a you tube channel.
There is a lot of info on all aspects of bread baking.
Here is the link to the video of no waste starter

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don’t bake but I can still remember when I was a little kid in the 1940’s, walking into my grandmothers’ farm house kitchen and smelling the aroma of bread she was baking in her cast iron coal stove.

Then she would cut off a slab for me and lather it up with freshly churned home-made butter.

That smell of bread is imprinted on my memory.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Reactions: rawright54

·
Registered
793 Posts
Fresh baked bread is awesome...fresh handmade flour tortillas SWMBO makes are even better!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts