The Firearms Forum banner

Who carries a full size 1911?

Tags
14K views 56 replies 34 participants last post by  tnhawk 
#1 ·
I'm curious as to how many of you use one for CCW. I'm considering it. While the higher capacity and more compact "plastic" guns have their appeal because of those features, the 1911 has and always will be my favorite pistol for accuracy and reliability. Now I see RIA has a 14 rd high capacity version that's very affordable, that I'm thinking would be ideal if i can conceal it. Right now a strong side OWB holster is all I can use comfortably. I've cut off the sleeves on an oversized denim jacket to make my own CCW vest of sorts. It works. Now if someone would only come out with a high capacity commander that was as affordable as the RIA full size.

#2 ·
Most 1911 guys consider high caps to be not real 1911s. Personally, I dont really care, but I dont own one either. I like the slim feel of the 1911 grip and I carry an extra mag with me, so, 16 rounds of 45 hollow point is plenty. But, I have actually carried a full sized 1911 several times, but I very much prefer the commander. I dont think a high cap commander would appeal to me either. I would carry whatever works for you.

#4 ·
That is one sweet piece ka. Those grips really look sharp.

#8 ·
Nice collection you have there Hoss. Now if you can resist trading them off!!! hahahaha

Ya need to carry them more often there Hoss, ya dont have the purty wore off of them yet.

#12 · (Edited)
I carry one year round. In the cooler months it's on my hip, in a Yaqui style belt slide. In the warmer months it's usuall in a Smart Carry holster. http://www.smartcarry.com/ I usually carry two 7rd mags when wearing a belt, or one 10rd mag when wearing the Smart Carry System.

#14 · (Edited)
#15 ·
I carried gov't size year round for the last 10 years up until this year, got me a G35 now. It's lighter and longer barrel, more rounds but most importantly it eats hollowpoint ammo flawlessly. I generally use an IWB holster for day to day use.

Started with a SA loaded 1911 but upgraded to the TRP. I still refer to it as my cadillac, she's a beauty to shoot. It was pretty hard to put it in the safe but she comes with me everytime I go shooting.

#21 ·
I am carrying my Kimber gold combat most of the time IWB with just jeans and a t shirt. Sometimes I'll carry my sig 226, but the kimber is more comfortable. I dont understand why people say you cant carry a full size or complain about doing so. If I can, it aint too hard or uncomfortable. But then again, we all know what opinions are like.....

#24 ·
I am carrying my Kimber gold combat most of the time IWB with just jeans and a t shirt. Sometimes I'll carry my sig 226, but the kimber is more comfortable. I dont understand why people say you cant carry a full size or complain about doing so. If I can, it aint too hard or uncomfortable. But then again, we all know what opinions are like.....
I think most people notice the weight of the larger pistols, and don't want to be bothered with it. So they choose a smaller gun that they believe will do just as well. IMHO, nothing beats a big bullet for SD. I do carry the smaller calibers also, but only as a BUG. It's not uncommon for me to carry the .45 on my waist, and a .38 in my pocket!

#26 · (Edited)
I normally do, in the summer though, I wear a 1st model Ultra Carry a lot under a tee shirt. If the shirt is long enough to hide it I carry a full size 1911.

These are my 3 main carry pieces......

Another couple of photos with my two range pieces, a Colt Govt. .22 LR, and a Sig-Sauer 1911-22. All of these guns fit in the same
carry holster I prefer, wich is a Don Hume JIT Slide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.