The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts
I am carrying my Kimber gold combat most of the time IWB with just jeans and a t shirt. Sometimes I'll carry my sig 226, but the kimber is more comfortable. I dont understand why people say you cant carry a full size or complain about doing so. If I can, it aint too hard or uncomfortable. But then again, we all know what opinions are like.....

I am carrying my Kimber gold combat most of the time IWB with just jeans and a t shirt. Sometimes I'll carry my sig 226, but the kimber is more comfortable. I dont understand why people say you cant carry a full size or complain about doing so. If I can, it aint too hard or uncomfortable. But then again, we all know what opinions are like.....
I think most people notice the weight of the larger pistols, and don't want to be bothered with it. So they choose a smaller gun that they believe will do just as well. IMHO, nothing beats a big bullet for SD. I do carry the smaller calibers also, but only as a BUG. It's not uncommon for me to carry the .45 on my waist, and a .38 in my pocket!

I normally do, in the summer though, I wear a 1st model Ultra Carry a lot under a tee shirt. If the shirt is long enough to hide it I carry a full size 1911.

These are my 3 main carry pieces......

Another couple of photos with my two range pieces, a Colt Govt. .22 LR, and a Sig-Sauer 1911-22. All of these guns fit in the same
carry holster I prefer, wich is a Don Hume JIT Slide.

Got one just like it iron, good gun.

Most 1911 guys consider high caps to be not real 1911s. Personally, I dont really care, but I dont own one either. I like the slim feel of the 1911 grip and I carry an extra mag with me, so, 16 rounds of 45 hollow point is plenty. But, I have actually carried a full sized 1911 several times, but I very much prefer the commander. I dont think a high cap commander would appeal to me either. I would carry whatever works for you.
I carry a full size 1911 .45acp like the original.......[100yrs ago]
no frills, bells, whistles, high cap mags,etc. for a simple reason,
it is what it is......tried and true !
There is only ONE TRICK to carry.....[IMHO]
Pick the carry weapon that YOU WANT to carry......
THEN you choose HOW to carry it.....
there are multiple options, and one or more will suit you
very comfortably ...no matter the weather, clothing, lifestyle,
IWB,OWB, etc.........
ANY gun enthusiast will never allow himself/herself to own
ONLY ONE GUN.....it just ain't possible, and will usually have
several options on how/what he/she carries because of it.
BUT....first you must choose the weapon you really are
comfortable with.........THEN you choose the carry method.
Question:
Never been skydiving...?? Scared...? Do it 50 times and guess what....??
IT AIN'T SQUAT.....NOW.
Too big, too heavy, too....whatever.......after you do it for awhile....
IT AIN'T SQUAT ! :D:D:D
[for reference, sometimes I carry {concealed} a 7.5" .460 and you
would never know it, and I will not be fatigued by it]
jus' sayin'......

here ya go

Attachments

I have a rock island 1911A1 that I'm planning on carrying once I get the new barrel bushing fitted. I bought it used and it had a compensator barrel bushing on it. At first I thought I'll deal with it and replace it later if I don't like it, plus the R.I. was only 350. Well later came last week when I really wanted to start carrying it instead of my judge, the only problem is the compensator looks ridiculous. So I ordered a new one and it just came in this morning. Now I'm just waiting on the shop to open up so I can go get the work done on it.

What I carry. A Jim Clark Custom.

Attachments

No full size EDC for me!

I live in Arid-zona so we don't wear coats much out here. My EDC weapons are a SA EMP, a M&P Shield, and a Colt GM380. If I wanted something with a bit more barrel I'd likely step up to a RIA CS or my old stand-by, a Star BKS.

No full size EDC for me!

I live in Arid-zona so we don't wear coats much out here. My EDC weapons are a SA EMP, a M&P Shield, and a Colt GM380. If I wanted something with a bit more barrel I'd likely step up to a RIA CS or my old stand-by, a Star BKS.
Welcome to the forum! I also live in a part of the country that is hot, and humid! Most of the year I'm in basketball shorts, T shirt, and flip flops, or sandels. Still, I carry a 1911A with no problems, and a .38 for a BUG.

Regularly Carry an all-steel Colt Commander

I don't carry a 5" 1911, but I do carry the Colt Combat Commander which has the same primary carry liability as the government model -- weight. The shorter barrel helps but it is still a heavy pistol.

After trying five different holsters I had all but given up carrying this pistol comfortably. It sagged low even when using a pistol belt and required constant adjustments.

I purchased the Texas Heritage IWB holster from Tucker Gunleather and it has solved the problem for me. This holster distributes the weight farther along on the belt, and encourages the holster to hug the body. It is extremely comfortable, secure, and light-weight.

Any holster that has widely spaced clips or belt loops and is flexible should accomplish the same goal, but I am very pleased with the Tucker holster and highly recommend it. For me the solution was a good quality pistol belt and a holster that spread the weight out farther along the belt.

A good thick belt and a quality leather holster will allow you to carry any gun of your choosing. I like the commander with a scandium frame for carry the best, but dont limit myself to any certain weight. I have just gotten a holster made for my sig scorpion and am starting to carry it some. With the right gear, you dont know the difference. It stays snug and tight to your side and doesnt move one bit. If you are struggling with carrying a sidearm, you dont have the right gear. But, after so many years of carry, it is just natural for me anyhow.

A good thick belt and a quality leather holster will allow you to carry any gun of your choosing. I like the commander with a scandium frame for carry the best, but dont limit myself to any certain weight. I have just gotten a holster made for my sig scorpion and am starting to carry it some. With the right gear, you dont know the difference. It stays snug and tight to your side and doesnt move one bit. If you are struggling with carrying a sidearm, you dont have the right gear. But, after so many years of carry, it is just natural for me anyhow.
I recently purchased a "Wilderness" Tactical belt (wilderness.com), and use it with the Don Hume JIT Slide or my Fobus paddle holster. I can now carry a 5 incher with no problem. I am carrying my Mil-Spec S.S. Springer or the SR1911 almost all the time now with ease. I have full confidence in either one of those pistols should the SHTF.

I also carry mine only when I am wearing clothing that will keep it concealed. I have a 1930's .32 revolver that is very small. I carry this when it's too hot to wear clothing that conceals a 1911 :)

I recently purchased a "Wilderness" Tactical belt (wilderness.com), and use it with the Don Hume JIT Slide or my Fobus paddle holster. I can now carry a 5 incher with no problem. I am carrying my Mil-Spec S.S. Springer or the SR1911 almost all the time now with ease. I have full confidence in either one of those pistols should the SHTF.
I have a leather guy that makes my belts and they are thicker than most any belts on the market. Thats not saying the belts on the market are not stout enough, just that the thicker, the better. Only problem is you have to stretch some holster slots out to get them to accept the belt, but I have a piece of wood that I slide thru the slot and open the hole up a little and make it work. By the time you get it on there and tighten it down, you can carry any full sized gun you want and it wont move a bit. Its nothing to carry a full size 1911.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.