The Firearms Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts
Hello all, Just joined. I stumbled onto this forum while researching some reload data. Looks like a nice diverse (firearms speaking) forum. I hope to contribute as much as I can and learn a bunch from you gents.

As to the OP's question. I carry a Combat Commander pretty much all the time with no problems. I have carried my full size and really didn't see any difference in comfort, I just like the Colt better, and I shoot the Commander length better.

I usually carry IWB in a Crossbreed Supertuck on a Beltman belt. The key to it is a good belt and holster. If it's cold out and I'm going to be staying in my coat I'll go OWB in a Bianchi Carry lock, Mod 82 I think. A decent holster that you don't have to take out a loan and wait 6 months for.

I'm a fair sized boy, 5'10 about 225. I carry at about 3:30.

VR,
Harry
MSgt USAF (Ret)

Hello all, Just joined. I stumbled onto this forum while researching some reload data. Looks like a nice diverse (firearms speaking) forum. I hope to contribute as much as I can and learn a bunch from you gents.

As to the OP's question. I carry a Combat Commander pretty much all the time with no problems. I have carried my full size and really didn't see any difference in comfort, I just like the Colt better, and I shoot the Commander length better.

I usually carry IWB in a Crossbreed Supertuck on a Beltman belt. The key to it is a good belt and holster. If it's cold out and I'm going to be staying in my coat I'll go OWB in a Bianchi Carry lock, Mod 82 I think. A decent holster that you don't have to take out a loan and wait 6 months for.

VR,
Harry
MSgt USAF (Ret)
Welcome aboard! And thanks for your service!

Hello 45silverback, I am with ya on the commander size, I think that a commander with a scandium frame (like my e-series smith) is the absolute best formula in CC but I dont limit myself to only that. I have carried for nearly 30 years and have carried everything you can think of (besides a glock, I hate them) and have always gone back to the 1911 platform.

My choice is my Ruger p345 in a owb nylon blackhawk or a bianchi shoulder rig. I like both but for speed i prefer the blackhawk more. Im buying a springfield 9mm next week to see if it carrys better and i can feed it cheaper than the 45 .

I forgot , welcome to TFF all you new members. hope you enjoy yourself here.

VR,
Harry
MSgt USAF (Ret)
When in nam (not now of course) I carried a full size M1911 as a back up to the M-60, Mk-19. Something very comforting about the feel and the viets did not like looking down the muzzel. For checking dark places like below decks in sampan and motorized junks it was good too. Shotgun too unwieldly in those tight spaces. I like the concept if somebody jumped me and I could not get off a shot I could pistol whip the SOB and THEN shoot him/her. Viets had women soldiers as well.

I carry a full size RI 1911 every day and have had no problems, in the warmer weather i do carry it on the hip though.

I would have to completely change my wardrobe in Florida to carry full size 1911....it's just hot lately and never mind the summer.
I wear the same clothes every day and carry whatever I want in florida. I guess it depends on what you do for a living..

I would have to completely change my wardrobe in Florida to carry full size 1911....it's just hot lately and never mind the summer.
I live in south Georgia, and actually I'm from Plant City Fla. I carry no matter the weather. With the Crossbreed Supertuck you can easily conceal under a T-shirt that's loose fitting. The thing really is that comfortable. If I'm gonna be carrying all day I1'll usually put on a wife beater between me and the gun and the T-shirt over that.

Check them out at http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

And no... I am not associated with them in any way other than I have one and really like it... Been useing it going on 3 years now.

I have a crossbreed and they are great holsters but I dont like IWB carry so I dont use it. I have used several types of holsters but always go back to the OWB leather style. I am just glad there are options for everyone and every situation. There is no reason to ever be unarmed.

I have a crossbreed and they are great holsters but I dont like IWB carry so I dont use it. I have used several types of holsters but always go back to the OWB leather style. I am just glad there are options for everyone and every situation. There is no reason to ever be unarmed.
I go OWB if I'm going to be wearing a coat or jacket and know I'm not going to need to take it off. but the CB is comfortable enough that I have worn it all day while on the motorcycle during the summer. I'm a fairly beefy boy so IWB probably works better for me than most.

Amother good option IMO is to utilize a vest of some sort. I use an EOTAC field vest. It's functional, has a bunch of pockets that come in handy for all kinds of things, and doesn't have that real "gunny" look like on of the "shoot me first" tactical vests. Also, when on the bike, it just kind of blends right in. Even looks pretty sylish with jeans and what-not.

Well, thanks to Sam, I started carrying my full size E series smith & wesson 1911 because at the BBQ he handed me a real nice leather holster for a full size that I guess he wasnt using and I havent been carrying full size much lately but I think I am going to start again. Like I have said dozens of times, with the proper gear its easy to carry whatever you want to carry. Thanks Sam, nice holster.

I carry a full size in a Tommy Theis IWB holster. I forget I am wearing it. I use an Origianl Instructor Belt C.S.M in black. Its stiff enough and I love it. It keeps my full size Springfield Armory Loaded 45 acp, one or two extra magazines on my left side and my pants up. I cant carry where I work but other than that I have a full size on me at all times.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.