The Firearms Forum banner

Who carries a full size 1911?

Tags
14K views 56 replies 34 participants last post by  tnhawk 
#1 ·
I'm curious as to how many of you use one for CCW. I'm considering it. While the higher capacity and more compact "plastic" guns have their appeal because of those features, the 1911 has and always will be my favorite pistol for accuracy and reliability. Now I see RIA has a 14 rd high capacity version that's very affordable, that I'm thinking would be ideal if i can conceal it. Right now a strong side OWB holster is all I can use comfortably. I've cut off the sleeves on an oversized denim jacket to make my own CCW vest of sorts. It works. Now if someone would only come out with a high capacity commander that was as affordable as the RIA full size.

#52 ·
I would have to completely change my wardrobe in Florida to carry full size 1911....it's just hot lately and never mind the summer.
I live in south Georgia, and actually I'm from Plant City Fla. I carry no matter the weather. With the Crossbreed Supertuck you can easily conceal under a T-shirt that's loose fitting. The thing really is that comfortable. If I'm gonna be carrying all day I1'll usually put on a wife beater between me and the gun and the T-shirt over that.

Check them out at http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

And no... I am not associated with them in any way other than I have one and really like it... Been useing it going on 3 years now.

#53 ·
I have a crossbreed and they are great holsters but I dont like IWB carry so I dont use it. I have used several types of holsters but always go back to the OWB leather style. I am just glad there are options for everyone and every situation. There is no reason to ever be unarmed.

#54 ·
I have a crossbreed and they are great holsters but I dont like IWB carry so I dont use it. I have used several types of holsters but always go back to the OWB leather style. I am just glad there are options for everyone and every situation. There is no reason to ever be unarmed.
I go OWB if I'm going to be wearing a coat or jacket and know I'm not going to need to take it off. but the CB is comfortable enough that I have worn it all day while on the motorcycle during the summer. I'm a fairly beefy boy so IWB probably works better for me than most.

Amother good option IMO is to utilize a vest of some sort. I use an EOTAC field vest. It's functional, has a bunch of pockets that come in handy for all kinds of things, and doesn't have that real "gunny" look like on of the "shoot me first" tactical vests. Also, when on the bike, it just kind of blends right in. Even looks pretty sylish with jeans and what-not.

#55 ·
Well, thanks to Sam, I started carrying my full size E series smith & wesson 1911 because at the BBQ he handed me a real nice leather holster for a full size that I guess he wasnt using and I havent been carrying full size much lately but I think I am going to start again. Like I have said dozens of times, with the proper gear its easy to carry whatever you want to carry. Thanks Sam, nice holster.

#56 ·
I carry a full size in a Tommy Theis IWB holster. I forget I am wearing it. I use an Origianl Instructor Belt C.S.M in black. Its stiff enough and I love it. It keeps my full size Springfield Armory Loaded 45 acp, one or two extra magazines on my left side and my pants up. I cant carry where I work but other than that I have a full size on me at all times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.