who carries a spare mag in a HORIZONTAL mag carrier?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by AlphaKoncepts, Oct 19, 2019.

1. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

Not all of us carry spare magazines. But for those of us who do, who carries their spare magazine in a horizontal magazine carrier?

That is, a traditional magazine carrier is straight up and down, where as a horizontal magazine carrier rides long your belt. This is much easier to conceal, in my opinion, with an untucked shirt.

I use a double OWB magazine carrier when at my day job (armed security), but am thinking of a horizontal carrier for my EDC. Looking for recommendations.

Arteest and tedwitt like this.
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

I just stick it in my back pocket.

goofy and tedwitt like this.

3. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use a double mag vertical mag holder on my weak side belt. Sometimes, I just stick one in a pocket of my cargo shorts.

Daffyd, goofy and tedwitt like this.
  4. AZ2VET

AZ2VET Well-Known Member

I have thought about getting one but have not made up my mind yet. It is not a matter of concealment for me though as I open carry. It would be ease of access and comfort, my spare mag is carried in the off hand pants cargo pocket, and I don't have money to waste to give it a try. I carry a knife in the 9 o'clock position and would have to carry a mag pouch in the 7 o'clock position.

5. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Well-Known Member

I use an OWB, vertical, 2 mag carrier with an untucked shirt. Since there are no laws concerning carrying an unconcealed magazine, I don't worry about it. When I wear an tucked shirt, I am usually wearing a suit, and the jacket will cover the mag carrier. If I take off my jacket I still don't worry about it. My "overhang" will cause my shirt to "blouse" over the top of the mag carrier enough that people have a hard time discerning what it is. If they do, who cares, there is no law in Texas that says that you have to have your magazine concealed.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Arteest likes this.
  6. Arteest

Arteest Well-Known Member

I just started carrying extra mags. I was gonna use the vertical plastic Blackhawk but found a nylon fabric one that will work either way. At this point I prefer the horizontal position. I find it easier to conceal, more comfortable and doesn’t block sticking my left hand in my pocket. Jeans are particularly annoying for this. I prefer pants with a slash pocket.

7. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

Which brand did you settle on?

8. Arteest

Arteest Well-Known Member

Not sure. I picked it up some years ago at a gun show. It’s cordura nylon I think. I got it originally for 1911 mag storage but my Glock 19 mags fit fine. The flaps are hock/loop closure.

9. Bigbubbajb

Bigbubbajb Member

I use a multitool pouch that can be worn horizontally. A 17 round glock magazine fits perfectly and it's a bit less obvious.

Arteest likes this.
  10. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

That's a good idea. Thanks for the input.

11. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Active Member

Although I normally carry a spare mag in a pocket, I have a couple horizontal mag pouches and sometimes use them.

12. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Active Member

I carry a horizontal mag pouch on-duty for my 1911, and have several off-duty, single-pouch, horizontal mag pouches. But my normal off-duty carry is a single mag in a mag condom that sets in a pocket.

13. jonb32248

jonb32248 Well-Known Member

Can't find a horizontal pouch. I hate regular mag pouch's, they always irritate my side.

14. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

Go to Amazon and type in horizontal magazine pouch. You will get some to choose from.

15. jonb32248

jonb32248 Well-Known Member

Yes I've looked there and only ones have a flap which isn't conducive to a good reload during a time of emergency. I did look again after your posting the thread, on Pistolgear and ordered one from there. I hope it works like I want it to. I don't normally care an extra mag but for the times I want to.

ms6852 likes this.