The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not all of us carry spare magazines. But for those of us who do, who carries their spare magazine in a horizontal magazine carrier?

That is, a traditional magazine carrier is straight up and down, where as a horizontal magazine carrier rides long your belt. This is much easier to conceal, in my opinion, with an untucked shirt.

I use a double OWB magazine carrier when at my day job (armed security), but am thinking of a horizontal carrier for my EDC. Looking for recommendations.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have thought about getting one but have not made up my mind yet. It is not a matter of concealment for me though as I open carry. It would be ease of access and comfort, my spare mag is carried in the off hand pants cargo pocket, and I don't have money to waste to give it a try. I carry a knife in the 9 o'clock position and would have to carry a mag pouch in the 7 o'clock position.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I use an OWB, vertical, 2 mag carrier with an untucked shirt. Since there are no laws concerning carrying an unconcealed magazine, I don't worry about it. When I wear an tucked shirt, I am usually wearing a suit, and the jacket will cover the mag carrier. If I take off my jacket I still don't worry about it. My "overhang" will cause my shirt to "blouse" over the top of the mag carrier enough that people have a hard time discerning what it is. If they do, who cares, there is no law in Texas that says that you have to have your magazine concealed.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I just started carrying extra mags. I was gonna use the vertical plastic Blackhawk but found a nylon fabric one that will work either way. At this point I prefer the horizontal position. I find it easier to conceal, more comfortable and doesn’t block sticking my left hand in my pocket. Jeans are particularly annoying for this. I prefer pants with a slash pocket.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Not sure. I picked it up some years ago at a gun show. It’s cordura nylon I think. I got it originally for 1911 mag storage but my Glock 19 mags fit fine. The flaps are hock/loop closure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not all of us carry spare magazines. But for those of us who do, who carries their spare magazine in a horizontal magazine carrier?

That is, a traditional magazine carrier is straight up and down, where as a horizontal magazine carrier rides long your belt. This is much easier to conceal, in my opinion, with an untucked shirt.

I use a double OWB magazine carrier when at my day job (armed security), but am thinking of a horizontal carrier for my EDC. Looking for recommendations.
I use a multitool pouch that can be worn horizontally. A 17 round glock magazine fits perfectly and it's a bit less obvious.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Although I normally carry a spare mag in a pocket, I have a couple horizontal mag pouches and sometimes use them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I carry a horizontal mag pouch on-duty for my 1911, and have several off-duty, single-pouch, horizontal mag pouches. But my normal off-duty carry is a single mag in a mag condom that sets in a pocket.

·
GUNZILLA
7,035 Posts
Can't find a horizontal pouch. I hate regular mag pouch's, they always irritate my side.
Go to Amazon and type in horizontal magazine pouch. You will get some to choose from.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Go to Amazon and type in horizontal magazine pouch. You will get some to choose from.
Yes I've looked there and only ones have a flap which isn't conducive to a good reload during a time of emergency. I did look again after your posting the thread, on Pistolgear and ordered one from there. I hope it works like I want it to. I don't normally care an extra mag but for the times I want to.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have carried a spare magazine in a horizontal carrier before. It was in the one Safariland produces. The only thing i didn't like about it was that after a couple of years, the flap that contained the mag in the pouch started to rip. I haven't seen any name-brand makers offer one in leather or I would get one to try.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I found one for my SA double stack mags that works just fine and conceals very well.No flap and they slide out horizontally.Very easy to use.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Been using a Glock plastic vertical recently. It works fine and allows one to carry with the bullets pointing forward or to the rear. Your choice. I find it best to wear a t-shirt between me and it to make it more comfortable. It doesn’t slide around on my belt but stays put, stays hidden and the mag gently clicks in securely.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts