The Firearms Forum banner

Who has the best deal on primers right now?

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  dbcooper 
#1 ·
I might just place a good order and pay the haz mat fee
I've never ordered them online before but I can't find any primers locally for less than $39

#3 ·
The lowest I've seen online lately is $28.50 per 1000 and that was for CCI. The haz mat fee is $28.50 for the first 48 pounds and you have to pay shipping. Either Fed ex or UPS ground. It's better to buy by the case and buy powder at the same time. Spread that haz mat fee out. Otherwise, you will approach the shelf price you see locally if you don't buy large amounts.

I generally buy for Powder River or Graf's and Sons and I ask people I know if they want to put in an order so we can share the haz mat fee and shipping.

#4 ·
I've found that the best deals were the ones that I could find. I look for primers whenever I go into a store that should have them, but most of the stores are always out. Cabela's did have S&B for $24.95 like howlnmad mentioned. I was able to find some CCI 500's on a trip to Idaho last month.

#5 ·
I just looked around a little to see who had what. I settled on looking at CCI because that is about all that were in stock in all four places I looked. I usually buy whatever is the cheapest such as Tula or S&B.

MidSouth Shooters Supply seems to have the lowest price on 1000 count boxes of primers. When I order them online, I usually look at case prices witch usually run a little cheaper but it seems that Midsouth doesn't offer them by the case.

Graf and Sons had fair prices on the 1000 count boxes but they were $1 to $2 higher. Their case prices are the best of the four places I looked.

Powder valley were sold out of the four common size primers.

Midway seemed to have them in stock but were up to $4 higher per 1000 than the other places.

Nobody had Tula, Wolf, or S&B in stock.

#6 ·
Out of all of the gun stores I visit, there is one that seems to always have small pistol primers; which they limit the amount and are priced a little more. Most of the stores never have any small pistol primers, at least in the Seattle/Tacoma area. I just buy what I can find when they are available.

#8 ·
Midway's hazmat fee is $19.99 and is good for up to 70 pounds. CCI small pistol are $32.29 for 1000 or $147.99 for 5000 ($29.60/1000X5) Shipping to me in CA is $12.99. So If I buy 5000 I pay $180.97 delivered, or $36.20 per 1000 If I can find them for $34 locally I pay 7.5% sales tax for a total of $36.55.....So buying bulk is worth it by a bit.

#10 ·
You are right and sometimes Midway has a sale on primers where they can be had cheaper. Occasionally Grafs has a "HazMat Sale" where they will pay the hazmat fees for you and their prices are usually a little less than Midway. That is what I usually try to wait for, it has been a while since I have seen one so it may be getting close to time.

check these

this place is probably the cheapest with wolf
http://ammunitionstore.com/categories/reloading/primers.html
Thanks cyclone, I now have a new place added to my "favorites", I had never heard of them before.

#11 ·
db didnt say what he was looking for in particular.

I might have limited it down a bit if i knew sr, sp, lgrifle, lg pistol and so on.

As far as the has mat fee goes. A lot of people dont like to spend the money for the haz mat fee but you are spending it no matter where you buy. If you buy enough at one time the haz mat fee is minimal when divided up.

Back when primers were hard to come by i would make many orders with cabelas for different brands. Since you didn't pay for the order till it came in i was not out any money. I would back ordere 5K rem sm rifle on one order, 5K sm rifle win on another order, 5k fed on yet another order. I didn't care which one came in, i would use what ever came in first. So when one came in i simply cancelled the other order (s). It made my wait time go from many months down to about 6 weeks.

#12 ·
I'm looking for somewhere in the neighborhood of

SR 3000
SP 4000
LP 3000
LPM 1000

I have a couple of buddies that are willing to go in and place a bigger order and split the haz mat
You guys have shown me some new places to look
Thanks

#13 ·
DB, if you are ever in the Dallas area, try Southwest Ammunition Supply. They show up at a lot of gun shows, and have primers @ $30/1000 for CCI and Winchester. It's not a great price, but at the gun shows they will usually negotiate, especially if you have cash and buy in quantity. Never been to their brick and mortar store, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.