Who has worked in an ammunition plant?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 45Auto, May 1, 2009.

1. 45Auto

45Auto Well-Known Member

Given that I think for myself, all of the stories I hear about why ammo is so expensive and why it's in such short supply don't impress me. I have investigated enough things over the years to know that it's best to check your own facts and not what everyone says.

I'm looking for someone who works in an ammunition factory or has worked in one to answer a few questions, such as - primers:

1. How much time is required to make modern center fire primers?

2. Who makes primers for the American market?

2. What are the basic raw materials needed to make modern primers?

No, I don't want to make my own primers. As a man who thinks for himself, I would like to know what sort of stuff is needed to make primers. Are any of these raw materials in short supply?

Thanks,

Greg

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

I would LOVE to have a tour of an ammunition plant. I would also love to see the production line in an AK47 plant/factory. The History channel had a program on showing how a cannon barrel was made a while back. I would have given my front teeth to have had a front row seat to watching one made from start to finish. I love machinery and manufacturing processes. If i see a big mobile crane lifting something somewhere...i'll actually pull over and observe the operation for a bit...

mike
    gn

3. artabr

artabr New Member

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Rumor is that the government told manufacturers to fill their orders and not orders for the general public. They're cutting off our supply of ammo because it's easier than banning guns. And sneakier.

5. 45Auto

45Auto Well-Known Member

Interesting and highly informative. Thank you for the links.

I can't see anything about these chemicals which would make them hard to get or too expensive for munitions makers. For example, brass has gone down in price with the crash of the economy.

Given the stong demand in the U.S. market, why not make more product to supply the demand? That's how the market works. And this is not like oil, primers, powder and ammo in general is made all over the world.

Demand for almost every other product is down world wide. For this reason, there is factory capacity and cheap raw materials to make more primers and other munitions to feed the market.

The bad laws which we all fear will clamp down on guns and ammo are not even close to being enacted.

Nothing is stopping ammo makers from ramping up production of primers and other munitions to supply U.S. market demand. And yet .... nothing?

Something in the ammo market mix does not add up.

6. 45Auto

45Auto Well-Known Member

Rumer has it, that big ammo dealers are spreading rumers on line to drive up the price of ammo.

7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Someone that works at Federal leaked that information.

8. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

hay 45. sent u a pm

9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I work at sort of an ammo plant, and the great thing is, i can halt production and go to bed, or go to the restroom, or go eat a sandwich, or go watch tv, or get online and be a smart a** on the forum. All without leaving my house:D

10. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Remember the gas shortages of the 70's? I do, and there was no oil shortage! It was all a lie to raise the price of gas!

11. artabr

artabr New Member

I can relate. I woke up this morning and I walked up to my computer and said "am 'mo plant my butt right here in dis chair". Sorry I couldn't hold back.:eek: ;) :D

Art

12. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

And if that's the case, then I'll find some way to start reloading my own. If the ammo companies want to bend over and take it up the tailpipe from Uncle Sugar, that's them. But when they obey the closet-commies and mess with MY ability to feed my firearms, then we have a problem:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Gun dealers have also been doing the same thing.

13. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

roger that Carver. Oil companies are greedy _holes, i dont know about the ammo companies yet. As the months pass they are certainaly starting to look like it. It's May, hmmmmmm.

14. 45Auto

45Auto Well-Known Member

Fear works. But fear is only one marketing tool. The tools can sell us anything, any idea, any excuse. Why? because Americans are the most studied market group in the world.

Thay can sell us anything. For example, when I was a kid, no one would have imagined that people would pay a dollar for a bottle of water. Back then you got water from the tap or a drinking fountain for free. Now bottled water is a big cash cow.

Now the big guys are out to get richer from over pricing ammo. They will blame their high prices on alot of false stories. And no one will wake-up.

To think for yourself is a big responsibility and it's alot of work. Still and all, a man's a man for all that.

Best regards,
    Greg

15. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I'm going to get a Govt Bailout & put you out of business for unfair competition practices..I have to go out to the garage to make my ammo...:D