The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating an AR build. A .308 would be a good rifle with readily available ammo. But I have questions. 1. What would a good barrel length be for this?
2. Where would I even begin to Look for the parts? Mainly the barrel, upper, and lower?
3. I'm going to do this over time, but I'll still be on a budget with it. So what's a realistic price point?
4. I'll need to get a list of tools for this, because once I've built one, I'll want to build 25 more.

I have simple expectations for it, I want it to be accurate, user friendly, and I want to be able to keep the recoil down some. I want my wife to be able to use it from time to time.

·
Banned
10,196 Posts
a ar in 308 will shoot about 2400 to 2500 fps with a 16 or 17" bbl

the same will shoot 2900 fps with a 24" bull bbl. thats with a 165gr bullet. maybe a tad bit more.

a 308 ar with a bull bbl, scope, and full mag will weigh about 18lbs. I know. Not exactly a womans choice.

it all depends on how far out there you want to touch.

i bought a dpms paid 1100.00 for it many years ago

denny willams can put a set trigger on your rig for around 200.00 well worth it.

thats all i have

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a ar in 308 will shoot about 2400 to 2500 fps with a 16 or 17" bbl

the same will shoot 2900 fps with a 24" bull bbl. thats with a 165gr bullet. maybe a tad bit more.

a 308 ar with a bull bbl, scope, and full mag will weigh about 18lbs. I know. Not exactly a womans choice.

it all depends on how far out there you want to touch.

i bought a dpms paid 1100.00 for it many years ago

denny willams can put a set trigger on your rig for around 200.00 well worth it.

thats all i have
My wife is a fairly stout woman. She can handle it I'm not worried about the weight quite so much. I'd been comparing different calibers for a while now, and as I'm not reloading yet I need to have readily available ammo. But I may want to use it while hunting. A 223 is legal to hunt with down here, but for how long is the question.

·
Banned
10,196 Posts
My wife is a fairly stout woman. She can handle it I'm not worried about the weight quite so much. I'd been comparing different calibers for a while now, and as I'm not reloading yet I need to have readily available ammo. But I may want to use it while hunting. A 223 is legal to hunt with down here, but for how long is the question.

I think if my hunting shots were no more then 350 to 400 yrds i would go with the 16" bbl and op for a lighter rifle. If shots are over 350 yrds then i would op for the longer bbl.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Tiger, if you are not wanting long range, have you considered a 7.62x39? Totally different application than a .308, but the ammo is a lot cheaper.

·
GUNZILLA
7,016 Posts
Go to Rock River Arms website and see the different configurations they sell their AR10's for and that could be a good starting point to decide for your budget. Also check brownell's website they teach you how to build an AR15 but not sure if they do it for ar10.

Reactions: TigerLeo

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,072 Posts
Do a lot of research on this project before you invest too much in it. It's my understanding that the AR-10 platform isn't nearly as standardized as the AR-15, and you may experience fit problems when mixing manufacturers.

·
Banned
10,196 Posts
Do a lot of research on this project before you invest too much in it. It's my understanding that the AR-10 platform isn't nearly as standardized as the AR-15, and you may experience fit problems when mixing manufacturers.
YOu are correct.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I'm getting is it might be a better idea to build a 5.56/.223 or two before taking on a 7.62/.308? That way I have a better base knowledge to start with?

·
Super Moderator
41,332 Posts
All it takes to go from a 7.62X39 to a 5.56 is a barrel and a bolt. Rest of the gun is the exact same thing so building one in 7.62 or 5.56 is exactly the same procedure.

·
Super Moderator
28,029 Posts
That right there.

Reactions: TigerLeo

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Weighing a little late on this but, get a Springfield M1A. Its a far superior rifle than any of the AR 10's.

The all steel M1A receivers construction will last longer than the Aluminium used in the Ar 10. I know this because I used to work for a company that I will not name, that sold AR 10's uppers which I would turn a rifled match grade barrel blank into a finished barrel, and then assemble. The company would sell it as a kit and the percheser would than get the lower from another company.

The Ar 10's I built were very accurate, but the inside of the receivers do ware out because of the bolt carrier is much more heavier than that of a AR15. You have to lube them a lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts