Who is going to the range tomorrow?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by JRL, Mar 18, 2017.

1. JRL

JRL Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That sounds like an awesome range day-- pack some hot chocolate or java and wear an extra layer! You can do it!

can you be in the sun for warmth while you shoot?

bosun, flyingtiger85 and Broot like this.
  2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

It was nice here today. Sunny and in the mid 50's. I was at my trap range. My scores have fallen off this year. I need to work on them. Today I did a 21-19-18-23. Not that good for me. My son did 24-24-23-21.

Our trap league starts next month. I am not going to win anything this year with these scores.

flyingtiger85 and Broot like this.

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

It is supposed to be up in the low 80's on Tuesday, I may just head out to the range then!!

flyingtiger85 and Broot like this.
  4. Broot

Broot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Shot about 100 rounds out of the new Ruger MK IV yesterday. Couple more this morning. Most of the day was spent getting groceries and tuning up the pickup. Would have been nice if the wind wasn't blowing today!

Kweeksdraw, Big Mak and flyingtiger85 like this.
  5. bosun

bosun Well-Known Member

The bench with the rifles in the shade. Pistols are open bays in the sun. My meds want me to stay out of the sun, plus I'm one of those guys who think its hot when the temp gets over 75!

Big Mak and Broot like this.
  6. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm heading to the range today for the last chrono tests of my 45-70 loads (This time out, accuracy/velocity of 500 gr smokeless vs 500 BP)
    I took a half day of vacation. 2 hrs at the range, then our son's Student led conference in the afternoon (last one!) and then taxes. (Gah! I pay in every year!)

Broot likes this.
  7. bosun

bosun Well-Known Member

Gosh, I'm a puss! Band of rain came through, 34 degrees, mud and standing water. Said "maybe try again tomorrow'...supposed to be a high of 28 degrees Wednesday.

Big Mak likes this.
  8. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Wish I could go tomorrow. Guy coming out to dig up a water line and fix it. Next day power company is sending out a crew to top out some of my trees to close to the power line. 45* here and the wind isn't blowing. Be a good time to have gone out.

Big Mak likes this.
  9. Big Mak

Well, the Lyman mold 457125 in 500 gr is a beautiful piece of art.
    I tested the smokeless vs BP loads out to 100 yards. I think the targets tell the story. The wind was unbelievable! Smoke Pole smoke went west, then east! Swirling wind effect about 30 mph...so I didn't even bother with windage adjustment, I was looking for groupings.

First picture, Smokeless (24 gr AA5744). One "Fouling shot" (you can figure out which one) and then cleaned the barrel after a volley of 7 more (8 total)

Second picture is BP. One "Fouling shot" (you can figure out which one) 62 gr Old Eyns, compressed, vegetable wad. I shot more than 8 because I was grouping hole into hole! 7 shots all within 1" MOA. Again, I remind you, iron sites, no scope
    20170320_141048_resized.jpg
    20170320_141112_resized.jpg

Kweeksdraw, jwdurf and Broot like this.
  10. pbrady

pbrady Active Member

I go atleast 3 days a week....work as a RSO and instructor :)...One of these days some of the Georgia shooters need to stop by and see me

Broot likes this.
  11. Big Mak

All the components have come in this week for the Sunday Garand shoot.
    I'll be the only non-Garand. :)

Shooting sticks-Check
    SR 22 NRA 200 yard targets-Check
    New (to me) Konus spotting scope and camera mount -Check
    100 rds of 500 gr 30-1 lead bullets and 62 grs of compressed Old Enys to smoke the line in order to blind them giving me the advantage- Check! :D

joe45c and Broot like this.
  12. Broot

Broot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Have fun, Mak! Can't wait for the report..

joe45c and Big Mak like this.
  13. Big Mak

Done! Well, I only competed in the Slow shoot portion of the Garand shoot.
    I didn't want risk heating my barrel up with black powder during the rapid fire and frankly, it takes me 90 seconds to shoot 10 rds so I just sat out the Rapid fire portion.

I had an OUTSTANDING session with the shooting sticks.
    At 200 yards, I beat all the Garand shooters (all 3 of them. :p ) for the Slow fire portion. Mind you, I used shooting sticks while they slow shot "Standing", Sitting and Prone. My total score for 3 x 10 rd slow fire was 253.

My over all marksmanship was 15 out of 30 shots inside the black (9 and 10 ring) with 3 of those inside the X (Bullseyes) The other 15 were on the 8 and 7 ring and only 1 in the 6 ring.
    These were SR22 200 yard targets, so the black is 13" across.

Loving this 500 gr Lyman bullet. It is a very accurate round with 62 gr of Goex back behind it.

One of the fellows snapped this picture of me.

IMG_1689.jpg

Broot and joe45c like this.
  14. Big Mak

This is what the 200 yard target looked like on the cell phone before I started shooting today. (we patch and re-use a lot of the targets, thus the stickers)
    This is the Konus bracket attachment on the spotting scope holding my cell phone in picture mode.
    The reason it is at an angle is the way I have the phone attached to the bracket for a quick easy glance to my left.

[​IMG]
    Konus Bracket and Spotting scope.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Broot likes this.
  15. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

I patch and re-use also. I flatten the paper on the back and tape woth masking tape. Holes in the black I do the same with and color in on the front with blask magic marker.

Big Mak likes this.