The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a nice looking "prairie king" marked .22 Cal revolver from the 1870s, and I'm trying to figure out who made it. It is engraved by w.b Ellis as stamped on the bottom of the gun. It seems to be in nice working shape with all the numbers matching parts and grips. serial number is 5394. From the research I've done I found that both bacon arms and Norwich arms produced a prairie king revolver, but Ive only seen 2 or 3 of these online and nobody really knew anything about them. Is there any way to identify who made this? Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
The engraving is way beyond what you see on these little spur trigger guns. W. B. Ellis may be a retailer rather then the engraver. They usually did not stamp their name but signed it in a very inconspicuous place. Most guns like this are not signed. I have a Reids Knuckle Duster stamped with a name I am sure is the retailer, A Schutt.

·
GUNZILLA
6,166 Posts
Norwich Pistol Company was established in 1875 and closed operations in 1881. They were the only one to produce the spur trigger revolvers that were sold under the trade name of Prairie King besides others such as America, Bulldozer, Patriot, etc.

Bacon Arms which operated from 1862 until 1891 did not sell the Prairie King. But both companies were in Norwich Connecticut. Bacon manufactured under a number of different trademarks. They were mostly known for making cheap solid frame rimfire revolvers known as "Suicide Specials".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[/QUOTE]
When you say "way beyond' do you mean more detailed then factory? And I may be using the wrong terms here,I've never owned an engraved gun before. The name is in cursive engraved into the very end of the handle. I barley even noticed it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Norwich Pistol Company was established in 1875 and closed operations in 1881. They were the only one to produce the spur trigger revolvers that were sold under the trade name of Prairie King besides others such as America, Bulldozer, Patriot, etc.

Bacon Arms which operated from 1862 until 1891 did not sell the Prairie King. But both companies were in Norwich Connecticut. Bacon manufactured under a number of different trademarks. They were mostly known for making cheap solid frame rimfire revolvers known as "Suicide Specials".
I thought that too, but i found this page that lists the prairie king under both bacon arms and Norwich arms production list, http://gun-data.com/suicide_specials.htm

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Many of these little guns had engraving that was done quick and for a fast buck. This gun has some serious scroll work. The loder guns like this had better engraving but this is still better then most of them. I recently caught H*** on a Colt forum for pointing how poor the work was on a Factory Engraved Colt Single Action, a 40.000 dollar gun. The work on that colt was so poor that in my opinion it ruined the gun but boy did they think I was crazy. You have a great little period correct piece that I would be happy to add to my collection. If the name is engraved it may well be the engraver.

·
GUNZILLA
6,166 Posts
Reactions: Fosterequitiesllc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many of these little guns had engraving that was done quick and for a fast buck. This gun has some serious scroll work. The loder guns like this had better engraving but this is still better then most of them. I recently caught H*** on a Colt forum for pointing how poor the work was on a Factory Engraved Colt Single Action, a 40.000 dollar gun. The work on that colt was so poor that in my opinion it ruined the gun but boy did they think I was crazy. You have a great little period correct piece that I would be happy to add to my collection. If the name is engraved it may well be the engraver.
Thanks for the info on the engraving. It's a very nice gun and I'm going to hang onto it for a while. Hopefully ill figure out who made it somehow

·
GUNZILLA
6,166 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts