The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on this forum. Thanks for all of the good information.

I have a .22 lever action, tube fed rifle that I got when I was 14 for Christmas about 50 years ago. I don't know who made it and have always wondered. It takes 13 LR in the tube and also takes L and S ammo. It is a Westernfield M895, which I think means it was sold by Montgomery Wards and it has a logo on it like M-Wards, as well as I remember their logo. I have posted pics if anybody can identify its maker.

It has always been a very reliable and accurate rifle.

Thanks.
Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the way. I cannot find any kind of serial number or date of manufacture on it or in it. I got it Christmas of 1962 and it was purchased new then.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
By the way. I cannot find any kind of serial number or date of manufacture on it or in it. I got it Christmas of 1962 and it was purchased new then.
Might not have one. Serial numbers were not required by law until 1968. And many manufacturers didn't bother on their rimfire products until then.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have a pre-68 Western Filed Shotgun made by Mossberg and it doesn't have a serial number either.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What we have here is a 1961/3 Westernfield Lever action .22 S, L, LR. It is a Mossberg 402, called M895 made for Montgomery Ward. From what I have found out, the (Mossberg 402) Westernfield went thru a few changes from 1961 to 1971 but all minor, size and cut of forend, front sight/barrel changes, etc.. The M895 was made from 1961 to 1962/3 then as the Mossberg changed so did the Westernfield. The only differnce was the Mossberg had a checkered stock. The M895 became the 865, 865A. I think all me info is pretty on target. Hope this helps. Here is mine....

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
But I did a little work to mine!!!

No serial numbers were mandated until 1968, so hard to date guns like the Mossberg 402/Westernfield 895 except by styling, barrel, stock, etc...

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

Here's one of mine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That Palomino looks like it has never been fired. Beautiful Gun....

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Those guns are gorgeous! (I know thats a sissy word, but it really fits). The finish on the wood is great. Looks like a fun gun to shoot.
thanks for the posts.
fred

·
Registered
141 Posts
they have a great feel to them the triggers are not so great ,but the 400 I have is accurate as all get out even with the lousey trigeerr pull , ,part can be tuff to find . as to the ser # they were not required by law untill the gun control Act of 1968 so many firearms earlier than the requirement did not have a ser # ~~RR~~

·
Registered
52 Posts
i lovd the palamino , while i bought a winchester 1890 for my first rifle from a friends uncle , this was the first brand new rifle [it was mosberg lable] i bought myself in the early 60s , i walked into the western auto and paid my hard earned cash for it and a box of shells , couldnt afford a case so i carried it home the five mile walk over my shoulder , try that today as a young man

1 - 14 of 14 Posts