Who needs 9x19 anyway?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

swedenrocks
    (4/9/01 4:11:58 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Who needs 9x19 anyway?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi guys!
    I´m thinking of dropping the 9x19 and go with the .40 program all the way!
    My favorite guns are now all offered in .40S&W, Beretta96, MP5/40 etc.
    The only reason I favour the 9x19 is the low ammo cost, I can get a box of 124gr +P's
    for $3.50 and a get 50 handloads in .40 for around $8.00
    Recoil is negliable and it's a neat caliber, but I want to focus on a single handgun caliber.
    And there we have the .40 , 155gr Silvertips is a sure thing for PP and aren't that recoily!
    .180gr and .200gr can be a handful but work really nice on large animals =)
    Does anyone have a reason why I should not whole heartedly switch to the .40S&W?

More to come!

Swede out!

Admin, please delete my two earlier posts! (If I delete your first post the whole thread would be deleted - I can however move this post up to the top if you'd like?)

Edited by: TallTLynn at: 7/8/01 5:37:59 pm

swedenrocks
    (4/9/01 4:14:25 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Who needs 9x19 anyway?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My post got screwed up, wrote half a screen and everything got whiped away, gotto write it again from the top! =(

FLOYDRAMBO
    (4/9/01 7:47:19 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Who needs 9x19 anyway?
    THE DISEASE GETS WORSE..GO FOR IT...

Xracer
    (4/9/01 10:40:17 am)
    "Does anyone have a reason why I should not whole heartedly switch to the.40S&W?"

Yeah........... .45ACP!

swedenrocks
    (4/9/01 12:18:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Who needs 9x19 anyway?
    Hey there Granny! Like the old .45?
    Velocity kills! =)

Swede out!

SBLasher
    (6/13/01 5:48:24 pm)
    Sweden...
    I used to carry a 40 Witness that I love. It is a sweet piece w/ great balance, and feels great in my oversized hands, but I quit carrying it after a few trips to the range because of the recoil. I tried a few loads...settled on155 gr HP, but the muzzle flip made site aquisition really poor, and this pistol is comped.
    I would stick to 9mm..but wont sell my 40..lol

Lash

Alphamale
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (6/13/01 7:04:31 pm)
    The .40 is a great caliber(got the G27). But, it's not the end all caliber. I give 9mm shooters a hard time, but it's all in good fun. Any caliber that you can put 2 in the chest with will put the BG down.

As for a reason not to go whole heartedly with .40.....it's called the 10mm. It'll do anything a .40 can, and it'll do it faster and harder. The 10 is on my to get next list, in a Glock 20.
    "Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyranize their teachers."--Socrates (470-399 B.C.)

gun runner john
    (7/8/01 2:30:51 pm)
    Next, we'll have some other topics.

Who needs the .38Sp
    Who needs the .380
    Who needs the .32ACP
    Who needs the .25ACP
    Who needs the .22LR

The answer to your question is calibers are like ice cream, flavors for everyone. I happen to have skipped the .40 and have stuff up to 9mm, then I jumped to .45ACP. Am I sorry that I missed the .40? Not really, it is just another caliber. I may own one or more someday, but I'm not pining away because I don't have one.

Personally, I don't want to get shot with any caliber, and I doubt any BG that's in front of my Glock 21 will notice much difference than the one in front of the Glock 17, both will have a serious hurt put on them!

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/8/01 4:39:44 pm)
    I like my Beretta 9mm and my Beretta .22.

Am looking to get a 45 acp next month. After that I'm going hunting because I hear Beretta put out a .32??? caliber gun and I want one.

irishpoet
    (7/15/01 12:47:31 pm)
    The best reason I can think of not to abandon 9x19 altogether is, as you said in your post, availability of ammo. It is the most common ammo in the world and likely will be for quite some time. That means you can practice centerfire handgun shooting on the cheap with 9x19 to keep in shape for shooting better (more expensive) cartridges.

runabout199
    (3/10/02 3:38:29 am)
    why not have the 40 and 9x19 more the merryer right

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/10/02 9:05:37 am)
    Hi runabout......and welcome to TFF!

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/10/02 10:16:03 pm)
    Yeah Swede, I kinda agree with ya, and I don't. I would stick with the 9. I believe that everyone wants to think that their choice of caliber is somehow superior to another. But I think that there really isn't a HUGE difference between most of the common defensive calibers(9, 38sp, 45, 40, etc, etc.....) they each have their own advantages and disadvantages to a degree. But I still think that if I received 2 hits to the vitals with most any of these rounds(shot from arms length), I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and 2 hits from any of these others! I think it really comes down to what caliber and gun combinations really feel good to the individual.
    Just my .02,
    Your Buddy,
    MO

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/11/02 6:48:25 am)
    RELOAD... it cuts the cost to a minimum, no matter what cailber.

enough said

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (3/11/02 11:52:35 am)
    runabout199:
    Git yerself over ta tha "Pumphouse Saloon" Q T!
    Tadays tha day Blackgun passes out tha "Sweet Corn Wine"
    Coupons. Take a trip ta tha second floor and meet the:greeters frum heavan.....
    Be good now. ENJOY. Glad yer here.

Charlie D aka Different name

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a
    mystery. Today is a gift.

Edited by: Different name at: 3/11/02 11:54:31 am