Why Choose CCI Standard Velocity Ammo for Target Guns?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by LDBennett, Mar 1, 2018.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I shoot Cascade Cartridge Inc. I know a few of the "tray flippers" that work there.

HISTORY.
    Richard "Dick" Speer (1915-1994) possessed a remarkable talent for things mechanical. He was a machinist at Boeing Aircraft's Seattle plant when he realized that his brother Vernon's success in the component bullet business (Speer Bullets) meant there was money to be made in reloading.

There were a number of proprietary rifle cartridge designs (like the Weatherby and Newton) that were not supported by the "big" ammo companies. Dick Speer decided to make cases to service this small but active market. He left Seattle and joined Vernon in Lewiston, Idaho. In a small room at the Speer Bullets plant, he began production of these special cases using an impact extrusion process.

After two name changes, Speer and his partner Arvid Nelson settled on the name Cascade Cartridges, Inc., or CCI.

Although Speer's case-making process was sound, the quality of the raw material was not. In the years after WWII, most stocks of cartridge brass had been depleted for the war effort. Faced with an untenable situation, Speer turned to a different path. Component primers for reloaders were in short supply. Some war surplus primers were showing up but the supply and choice was limited. Speer decided to get into the component primer business.

Speer intended to build primers for hobby reloaders, however, CCI's first shipment was to fulfill a military contract using the chlorate FA-70 formula. He then turned to non-corrosive, non-mercuric formulas for sporting cartridges. Reloaders now had a steady supply of rifle and pistol primers that was unheard of previously.

To handle the new business, Speer bought a 17-acre chicken "ranch" next to the Lewiston Gun Club just a mile south of brother Vernon's bullet works. The farmhouse doubled as an office and warehouse, and production began in a renovated chicken coop. He quickly erected modern labs and manufacturing buildings, gaining him room to expand the product line. When the gun club moved, Speer bought the adjoining property for future expansion. The CCI plant still occupies that property today.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    BlackEagle and Gideon like this.
  2. Broot

Broot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just bought some CCI Standard for $2.33 a box at Midway the other day. It is (or was) on sale. Got a case. Should last a a good while. It’s very accurate in all my rifles.

3. AzShooter

AzShooter New Member

I shoot CCI-SV a lot. It's now my Go-To practice ammo for my Ruger Mark IV. I shoot Eley Standard for matches but can't beat the accuracy and reliability for ammo that now cost under $ 25.00 a brick on sale. I just bout 6 bricks from MidwayUSA.

joe45c, Bigdog57 and Broot like this.
  4. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Well-Known Member

Yep, I buy mine from MidwayUSA too.

5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I guess I would call myself a serious plinker. I am not good enough to be a completion shooter and mostly just compete with myself. My main .22 rifle is an old Ruger 10/22 bull barrel target model with a Volquartsen trigger group and I pay particular attention to the torque I apply to the stock screw. Like LD I shoot mostly CCI Std. Vel., Wolf Match Target, and SK Std. plus. My abilities are the real limiting factor along with my difficulty in doping the wind. One thing that always puzzles me is how the point of impact moves from one range session to the next without changing anything. I have learned to not touch that scope till I have fired off a dozen or more shots on a new trip to the range. I doubt a custom rifle would change much because it would still be me behind the rifle with all my flaws. It is still a lot of fun anyway.

6. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Todd, you are too modest. I have see some of you range reports with that Ruger of yours.Lots of Flies at 100 yds are missing their wings!;)

crystalphoto, BlackEagle and todd51 like this.
  7. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member Supporting Member

I used Sub-Sonics and they fed in everything I used them in.
    They really shined in pistols, Ruger-Hi-Standard-Colt.

BlackEagle likes this.
  8. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

I shoot cci standard my 52B win. with pretty good results,(for me). I only am shooting at 50 yds though. Maybe out further i'd use high vel, but my 52 has only aperture sights so over 50 yds i'm only kind of guessing were the bulls eye is.

Last edited: May 19, 2018 at 2:46 PM
    todd51 and crystalphoto like this.
  9. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Guy's I shot small bore in Germany used only Eley 10X. You couldn't get them to shoot anything else. I don't recall what I shot anymore but 10X was to expensive for me!

BlackEagle likes this.
  10. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

joe45c likes this.
  11. Hovannes

Hovannes Well-Known Member

I shoot CCI Standard Velocity because it is very accurate, very dependable, and very affordable in my target pistol. It is also easer to find it for sale in local stores than the high dollar euro stuff

BlackEagle, Broot and joe45c like this.
  12. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Well-Known Member

Never tried Tennex.
    Tried Federal Gold Medal Match once. Bought five 50-rd boxes. Waste of money. CCI Standard and Greentag shot better!

BlackEagle and joe45c like this.