The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
GUNZILLA
5,963 Posts
My concern is when did we get so wimpy that we need a "light" gun but needs to be powerful enough to bring down a bear but must not be terrible when it comes to recoil. People always want a .45 but must recoil like a 40, or want a 40 but recoil like a 9mm, or want a 9mm but have
"knock down" power like a 40 or want a 38 but the power of a .357, just don't get it.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
My concern is when did we get so wimpy that we need a "light" gun but needs to be powerful enough to bring down a bear but must not be terrible when it comes to recoil. People always want a .45 but must recoil like a 40, or want a 40 but recoil like a 9mm, or want a 9mm but have
"knock down" power like a 40 or want a 38 but the power of a .357, just don't get it.
I shot a friend's High Point in .40 that recoiled more than his Ruger 1911 in .45. The Hi-Point seemed to weigh more than the Ruger too. Maybe it's just the way the gun fits the shooter. I can't understand the "Tacticool" cut slides these days either. They ain't for me.

·
GUNZILLA
5,963 Posts
I shot a friend's High Point in .40 that recoiled more than his Ruger 1911 in .45. The Hi-Point seemed to weigh more than the Ruger too. Maybe it's just the way the gun fits the shooter. I can't understand the "Tacticool" cut slides these days either. They ain't for me.
I have the S&W 642 airweight .38 cal. My wife wanted it and only shot it once and never again. Recoil is real bad. If I had to compare it I think it recoils as bad as my 686 with 3" barrel that I carry. Which is very stout.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
165 Posts
The biggest problem I have with all these slide cuts (besides looking like it's post-apocalyptic or from a bad science fiction "B" movie) is reliability. I see those holes in the slide and think about all the possible ways that debris can get in there until it won't go "bang" any more.

JMHO

-Ron

21 - 25 of 25 Posts