Why cut the slide if the factory choose not to?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by cannonman, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Visual appeal is important in sales.
    In today's gun industry, it seems that the uglier you make guns, the better they sell.
    Customizing guns, or having unique guns is important to many. In the dinosaur days we embellished guns with engraving, custom grips, etc. Guns that are made today have the grips moulded in. I guess drilling holes is now considered embellishment.

2. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

My concern with lighting the slide is that the removal of material could cause the slide to fail. Either it could warp or brake. The braking part would have me concerned that the rear of the slide would fly back and hit ones face. Guns are designed with material stress to accommodate the cartridges to be fired from it. Remove any material from a heat treated part or that mite be case hardened and the structural integrity has been compromised and it breaks when put under normal stress. If the manufacture felt a need to design, in this case a lighter auto pistol slide, they would had designed it with the appropriate material. This reminds me of the guys who put a turbo or super charger on their factory car engines and proceed to blow up the engine.
    Another example is the AR15 when the 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel were introduced. People started to hotrod hand load these two cartridges with powder charges that were causing the bolts lugs to break off. The fix was to use a different steel alloy to alleviate bolt lug breakage.

Altering the structure of a gun is just asking for catastrophic results, which usually result in injuries to shooter and possibly any one near by. People who design guns for the most part know what their doing, do not try and second guess them.

Winchester94, grcsat, ms6852 and 2 others like this.

3. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

I like my guns like I prefer my cars...stock appearing, with perhaps modifications under the hood.
    As I always say when folks ask if I like their car.
    "It's your car, do you love it? That's all that really matters"

shootbrownelk and ms6852 like this.
  4. SeeMor Guns

SeeMor Guns Well-Known Member

Are you really that simple to think Jerry Miculek shoots a factory weapon? Seriously??? Every single gun he shoots competition with is modified and tuned to his specs. The only thing "stock" is the frame and it is not untouched.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    PRR1957, shootbrownelk and ms6852 like this.
  5. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT No Power Options Supporting Member

I`m pretty simple. Same light weapon and heavy weapon using the same load will not recoil the same, being that the light one will have more recoil.
    Pretty simple.....winner-winner---chicken dinner.
    Thanks, I like it when its that simple, cause I am.
    :banana::banana::banana:

6. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

My concern is when did we get so wimpy that we need a "light" gun but needs to be powerful enough to bring down a bear but must not be terrible when it comes to recoil. People always want a .45 but must recoil like a 40, or want a 40 but recoil like a 9mm, or want a 9mm but have
    "knock down" power like a 40 or want a 38 but the power of a .357, just don't get it.

7. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I shot a friend's High Point in .40 that recoiled more than his Ruger 1911 in .45. The Hi-Point seemed to weigh more than the Ruger too. Maybe it's just the way the gun fits the shooter. I can't understand the "Tacticool" cut slides these days either. They ain't for me.

ms6852 likes this.
  8. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I have the S&W 642 airweight .38 cal. My wife wanted it and only shot it once and never again. Recoil is real bad. If I had to compare it I think it recoils as bad as my 686 with 3" barrel that I carry. Which is very stout.

shootbrownelk likes this.
  9. ScrapMetal

ScrapMetal Well-Known Member

The biggest problem I have with all these slide cuts (besides looking like it's post-apocalyptic or from a bad science fiction "B" movie) is reliability. I see those holes in the slide and think about all the possible ways that debris can get in there until it won't go "bang" any more.

JMHO

-Ron

ms6852 and shootbrownelk like this.
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Think Chauchat.
    ee89ee16f84f8f67608f683cbbde9c92.jpg

ms6852, ScrapMetal and shootbrownelk like this.