The Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it just me or do gun effects in movies seem very weak over the past 10 years or so?

They sound more like they're shooting a quick cap gun or fire cracker. People talk louder than the gunfire

Movies used to make gunfire more convincing and attention getting (like in real life) It drowned out and carried above the rest of the noise in the movie and often even had some kind of echo effect.

Warner Bros from the 1940s-1990s always seemed to be the best at it.

I.E. in the 1948 movie Treasure of the Sierra Madre when Humphrey Bogart catches Tim Holt falling asleep, takes his gun away, orders him back into brush in the dark and moves out of view....the loud ring of two gunshots that follow after a few moments of silence leaves you no doubt as to what just happened and even startles you a little.

In the 1972 movie Magnum Force when the motorcycle cop pulls the car of mobsters over and is quietly talking to them, we are startled when he pulls his revolver and the loud effects of a .357 Magnum start ringing out as it guns them down in the car and quietly walks away.

And of course we all know Dirty Harry's famous .44 Magnum cannon sound effect.

The "Diplomatic Immunity" BOOM "has just been revoked" from Lethal Weapon too was quite the attention getter as Danny Glover's M-19 rings out after a neck turn

Paramount isn't bad either.

Indiana Jones entering the Nepal Bar with his S&W firing away at German thugs was effective.

But all movies prior to 10 years ago tried, however they could, to make guns sound like what they were: Loud, carrying over everything and attention getting.

Now they all sound like a wiffle bat hitting the sidewalk.

Even when they "remaster" sound effects for older movies, they make them sound very weak and less realistic. Such as in the dirty harry movies. Sound more like a door slamming shut.

Or the Terminator. The gunshots in the "remastered" version of that sound like popcorn popping.

·
Super Moderator
41,401 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean. I was watching some show yesterday, don't even remember what it was now. A guy takes out a 30-30 rifle and shoots at another guy, the sound was that of a firecracker, and I mean a little one, and the rifle did not make even the slighest amount of recoil. I was highly unimpressed!!

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I want some of those TV/Movie bullets that give off sparks no matter what they supposedly strike.

·
TFFWPP President
13,897 Posts
are the sound effects guys limited by not having a place to get what they need? (range)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It is about "watchability". Far more people, even gun guys, want to be able to enjoy a show than worry about the precise realism of it. The gun fires, it makes a muzzle flash, a boom, and hits something, that's all that is needed. If they were to have real full volume gunfire in a show like 24 you would never hear a word being spoken. People are already turning the TV volume down and complaining about the music they play is too loud(posted here before) in shows having gunfire too loud would just make it worse.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Stop watching the hollywood crap. That solves the problem.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It is about "watchability". Far more people, even gun guys, want to be able to enjoy a show than worry about the precise realism of it. The gun fires, it makes a muzzle flash, a boom, and hits something, that's all that is needed. If they were to have real full volume gunfire in a show like 24 you would never hear a word being spoken. People are already turning the TV volume down and complaining about the music they play is too loud(posted here before) in shows having gunfire too loud would just make it worse.
That's another thing, the music is too loud, distracting and annoying. They also change scenes every second with every step, punch, pull, head turn. Fighting scenes are even worse, you can't even absorb what exactly is happening.

Anyway, I don't see how a 24 or any show can top movies like Lethal Weapon and Die Hard in terms of shots fired. yet they have loud and effective sounding gunshots

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
I could also be that the anti-gun stars don't want to be seen shooting real guns that kill people. Now they can say that it was sound effects.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa I think the complete opposite! Some recent movies, not all, have incredible audio for the gun shots. I can recall one with Bruce Willis where there's a heated fire fight, his guys are getting overwhelmed when out of nowhere you hear a subtle *thump thump thump* and gets louder and louder and someone approaches, then you see this guy with an AA-12 clearing out the hallway

In Jack Reacher, in the first scene, the audio is amazing when someone does a "field assembly" of a M14/M1A, chambers the first round, and fires a few. All the sounds of the action and clicks were great, as well as the gun shots.

In that recent Lincoln movie, the sound of the black powder muskets is really, really good.

I don't know if you guys have ever recorded yourself shooting, or someone else, but it sounds very, very very weak!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know if you guys have ever recorded yourself shooting, or someone else, but it sounds very, very very weak!
Well you can youtube anybody shooting their gun and see that. But where movies and tv are concerned, the point is not to make it sound like a gunshot picked up by recording but by making the viewer believe they are or can be in a real situation.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was watching the stupid movie Demolition Man the other day on AMC and saw Stallone drop an empty magazine from a beretta 92, put a full one in, slam the slide home....and then pull the slide back ejecting the good round he just slammed in the chamber and chambering another round before he continued spraying in the gunfight

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.