why i cant get TFF on Internet explorer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by johnlives4christ, May 13, 2009.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i have aol at the house, not problems there except aol sucks, but at work i just set up a computer and it has microsoft internet explorer, using a local company as the provider. well the firearms forum worked good for about 3 or 4 days, and today when i tried to get on, it said that the page couldnt be found..... but in the search results it was listed, the link didnt work on that either.... but everything else worked online. even other gun forums. is msn blocking my usage of TFF because they are anti gun or something?

any thoughts

~john

2. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

You didn't say if your computer @ work is on a "network". If your Supervisor has access to your terminal, he/she might have certain "types" of websites "blocked". Kinda like blocking XXX sites from little kiddies. I know that some companies use programs to "track" their employees internet useage. (big boss watching)

I'm far from being a "computer wiz", but that's what it sounds like to me.

SR

3. It sounds very much like your IT guy has blocked the site to prevent access over the network, John.

4. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

ALL smart companies monitor, or at least have the ability to monitor, their network usage. I am accessing now through internet explorer using a local isp. Some companies will use key words to trigger the monitor and, if your employer is doing so, I betcha firearms is one of the words.

Please also consider that every letter, number, symbol, or word that you type on a company computer or network belongs to that company forever regardless of you being off hours, on break, etc. They will also retain it forever.:eek: Just a few words of caution.

5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I went on TFF at work for a good while. Then "all of a sudden" one day, the US Postal service decided that it served no useful business purpose and I couldn't get on it any more. I am sure it is your IT guys.

6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I have gotten a lot of "Can not find this page" messages lately, plus a lot of error messages like "internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to shut down'. I don't know the reason.

There is a trouble shooting procedure for this problem on the internet explorer help site. They claim it is usually cause by plugins or add ons required by some site you have been to. After clearing your cache they tell you to disable the add ons one at a time until you find the culprit. Very time consuming especially if the problem doesn't happen every time.

Try clicking tools then select manage add ons. Disable them all then try accessing TFF. If that works then you know it's one of the add ons causing the problem.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  7. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

:eek: This while at the post office? LOL

Hummm, I wonder if they are trying to keep others from; “Going postal”:eek:

8. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

I find that Internet Explorer is slow and difficult to use and I only use it to have access to Yahoo hotmail. I normally use Firefox which is free from Mozilla. Firefox is much faster and has much better security. The downside is you will ocasionally find some Microsoft applications that require "addons' to use. It works great with TFF

If you are accessing from work you have no choice.

9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

well i guess i should have been more clear about the "at work" part. the thing is that i work at a wood shop and am my own boss. the computer i use is my own, and all i do is pick the signal up from the router. well... my computer wont let me go to TFF, so i thought i would try the company computer, which bypasses the router. neither of them would work... the wife and i have no idea why. the owner dosent care and is pro gun, everyone that works there is pro gun so i wouldnt suspect sabotodge(spellin).

i gave up for the night trying to figure out the problems and come home and used my computer here.

i still hate MSN though... dagnabit

10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Yea, I worked in the Registered "cage" on Saturdays for a while and had some time to spare between trucks coming in.

11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

go online and download a new browser like firefox. see if that wont get you around the network security. If not you will have to try to fool the network by using the numerical address. I used to do this in high school so i could look up uhhhh, stuff i shouldnt have been looking up in school;)

12. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Opera is also a very good, free download browser.