Why I carry...

3K views 0 replies 0 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
polishshooter
Senior Chief Moderator Staff
(6/3/01 11:35:40 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Why I carry...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today, went to visit my daughter at her college, where she's working this summer.

She and her roommate wanted to play my wife and I in some doubles tennis, so we went to the courts on campus and a tournament was going on.

So we went to a city park, in a "not so nice" neighborhood, that we didn't realize until we started playing. And we were the only ones playing there.

When we saw the types hanging around and watching us, my wife and I got the feeling at the same time...and my Makarov was in the car. (hard to conceal under tennis duds, much less while chasing those damn overheads of my daughter.)

My wife quietly asked me if I had it, and I discreetly went to the car and got it, and it stayed in my racket cover for the afternoon, right next to the court.

My daughter and her friend never knew...

We had an enjoyable afternoon. Didn't need it, not even close, like usually is the case, thank God, but it was nice to know it was more or less within reach. And that it was legal for it to be there.

Interestingly, after I got my CCW, my wife questioned the need to carry all the time, we had after all managed without it for 20 years.

I think she now understands...

And oh yeah, we beat my daughter for the first time too!

Edited by: polishshooter at: 6/5/01 10:50:28 am

Tac401
Administrator
(6/4/01 12:24:16 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: Why I carry...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good for you PS, it's a comforting feeling to know
that one can have the means to protect themselves
and or their family.
The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Zigzag2
(6/5/01 9:13:24 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
I may add, a great deterant... to deter the feeling of 1 being victimized. Just the tought of you having access to your weapon allowed you and your family a sense of security.
And no-one knew the difference

LIKTOSHOOT
(6/11/01 8:34:38 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Why I carry...
Zig is on the mark with that satement......having the option! It should be everyones lawful right and not a given. LTS

Chief 101
V.I.P. Member
(7/8/01 3:03:12 pm)
PS,

Your episode brings to mind something that an "old school" cop told me 16 or 17 years ago when I first got into police work.

We were talking about carrying off duty and he said something that sounded kinda dumb. "The first rule of a gunfight is to have a gun" Sounded pretty silly to me.

But over the years as a cop (or even a CCW, I suppose) the "new" wears off of being able to carry a handgun. For alot of us it gets to be a pain in the butt. No matter how you carry or what you carry, it gets in the way, causes people to look at you strange, etc. So over the years, the carry guns get to be smaller and smaller, lighter and lighter. Now-n-days more often than not I will stick a little NAA mini revolver in my pocket and head out into the world. Now dont get me wrong, I have "car guns" in all my vehicles that are more effective. But those car guns dont do you any good when you "run into the store for just a second" and leave your 1911 in the glove box.

You can carry your favorite 1911 for 364 days a year and not need it. But if you need it on the 365th day and dont have it, because of an oversight in planning, what happens then?

I'm not preaching at you PS. Just something to think about. This is one of the same windy speeches that I give to my officers when they get started in this crazy business...

Steve

polishshooter
(7/8/01 8:02:09 pm)
Yeah, Chief, been there done that.

I'm a 1911 zealot myself, BUT don't HAVE to carry so I don't "need" it. Most of my time I DON'T wear a jacket, so it's too big to conceal in a manner I could get to it fast anyway...

Just got my CCW last year, mainly to prove I could buy CR handguns with my CRFFL out of state when I travel, but have since begun carrying as a rule...

Like my wife said, for 20+ years I didn't "need" to use one, even when I was in private security making stops on shoplifters, facing the occasional knife, or fighter, kinda glad I DIDN'T carry back then, made you REAL good at thinking ahead and using your brains, mouth, and feet appropriately. HAVING a gun as a FIRST option can get you into trouble too...

AND if I EVER have to use it, I know I will wish I had my .45 which is under my bed instead of the Mak.

BUT, your old friend was right, in the right situation, a $40 .25acp Titan would be worth it's weight in platinum if it was all you had, and the 9x18 is STILL hotter than a .380, has more rounds even without the spare mag in the back pocket than a .38 2", and it's thinner, AND more accurate, so I guess I'll take my chances...it will USUALLY be there when nothing else would be. (And if I can't get to the old takedown '97 in the M60 spare barrel bag that's usually in the trunk... )

Patina is a custom finish that must be EARNED to be appreciated.

TUlichnie
(3/31/02 10:08:12 pm)
Leaving from a restraunt with my wife and another couple.
Went into the parking garage and started unlocking the doors, wife got into the car riders side and at that moment two African American gentelman appraoched at about 10' to 12' and asked if we had any matches and also money.
the one crossed in front of the car and the other faced me and started into his pocket I gave about 3 seconds or so...felt like an hour when I saw the handle of a gun coming out and I then pulled my own weapon, racked and hollered that was enough.
He continued to try to get the gun out and I placed two shots directly into his chest with my 9mm. He went back about 3' or 4' stumbling and started back for his handgun. He actually laughed for a second when coming forward he had on a vest that stopped the two shots. So I then having him with his gun now out dropped my sight down and placed one shot into his crotch.
That was all that was needed. Everything else is on the report.
I hope too never go through that again as long as I live.

Tony

Tac401
Administrator
(4/2/02 7:49:11 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
First, welcome aboard Tony, sorry you had to
go through that but glad you came out on top!
TFF VMBB Email Tac

Rich in Lincoln
(4/5/02 3:26:36 pm)
When I carry I definitely feel safer, but I sure am more careful about lesser altercations! Can you imagine the hassle (a trip down town and a long expiation) if you were in a minor fistfight and you told the officer that was taking the report that you had a gun (with a CCW or not) on you? I don’t know how it is in other states but in CA it would most likely be an arrest and ask questions later situation. Lawful or not it would take some time to get your gun back. When I carry I tend to do what I should be doing at all times and that is avoiding confrontations.

I was reading something that quoted it costs 60k to defend your self in CA even in a justifiable shooting! Now don’t get me wrong, it’s worth it if your life (and the lives of your loved ones) is in danger, but the hell with purposely looking for unsavory places to explore just because your packin, or shooting a robber in your backyard because he’s bagging your BBQ! I’m a homeowner now and I’d hate to loose my house to legal fees!

In conclusion, what I’m trying to say is caring should be every law abiding citizens god given right, but is a large responsibility and some one who carries should keep in mind the real word ramifications of using your gun. It’s serious biz, and not to be taken lightly! Avoid probable situation and when you can’t go for 100% incapacitation (no blood pumping… no more threat)!

-Rich

P.S. Tony, I don’t know the laws in Michigan but if you could share with us the “what happen when the police arrived” it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Zigzag2
*TFF Senior Staff*
(4/19/02 7:50:26 am)
to what Tony went through, it has to be devastating to say the least. But, the thought/option of not being able to protect himself and others would have made them just another statistic or even dead!

Rich, the after thought you bring to light is what's interesting, from the outside looking in. The facts of what Tony wrote are rather self explanatory, and I'd like to think the prosecuting attorneys office quickly filed it as a justifiable shooting.

I would like to know how Tony and his family and friends feel today.

TUlichnie
(4/19/02 2:42:59 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del After
Well after going downtown about 4 hours I believe, and getting statements from my wife and our friends. I was allowed to go home but was told to stay close to the phone and would be best to contact a lawyer.
Yes they did keep my weapon for evidence.
The police who showed up at the scene were very profesional.
The ride to the station,not handcuffed, was a little nerving. In talking with these guys on the way there the sargent driving told me this was not this guys first time and that he has gotten off many times before, but tonight was not his lucky night.
When I got to the station a detective saw me about 2 hours later and asked me why I shot him in the **lls and I said the 2 chest shots did not work and he did tell me that there was a bullet proof vest on him.
Any way 2 days later and a visit too the prosecuting attorneys office, it was recorded as justified and that no charges would be filed and right at that moment I was given my weapon(unloaded of course) and was told I would get a letter in the mail stating the same.
I think that was the longest two days waiting I have ever gone through.
Oh and every time I shoot out back for practice my wife says she gets that flash back from that night and always tells me no matter what dont ever leave the house without my weapon, she even picks up my rounds at the store for me now.
Well other little things were gone into but pretty much that was it.
Tony
Shoot Alot and Stay Safe

Edited by: TUlichnie at: 4/19/02 3:48:35 pm

Tac401
Administrator
(4/19/02 8:54:39 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: After
Thumbs Up Tony!
TFF VMBB Email Tac

Rich in Lincoln
(4/23/02 12:20:21 pm)
I have an apology to Tony or anyone that got the wrong idea about my previous post. I just reread my post and I unintentionally sounded rather critical of Tony’s ordeal! For that I am sorry, that was not my intention. I can only imagine how horrible it must have been. I would like to congratulate Tony for surviving and protecting his wife! Some times we write posts and don’t read them to see how they really sound. All I wanted to do was to bring to light the ramifications of shooting someone (and the misguided view of non gun owners in using your gun to protect your self). I hope I will have the calmness of mind and the steadiness of hand that Tony had if I were ever in his position!

-Rich

rhinoman
(12/24/02 11:44:16 pm)
It's that Texas incident. Can't remember the details (some of you probably know the story by heart). Anyway, the guy just starts killing people in a diner. A women survives to see both her parents killed. Her gun was in her car (Texas law at the time). After the incident she tells of how she had many chances to take him out, if only her gun wasn't in her car. That's just so sad. So wrong.

Tac401
Administrator
(12/25/02 12:19:45 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Luby's was the place, and she's an outspokek and a
advocate & spokesperson for all of us RKBR folks these
days and continues to be! Thanks for bringing it up!

Tac
TFF VMBB Email Tac

JackRyann
V.I.P. Member
(12/25/02 12:35:22 am)
Good arguement for a 45.

Don't remember the particulars, but several years ago there was a state trooper shot point blank in the chest with a 45. He was wearing a vest and survived the incident, thank God, but it knocked him to the ground and the shooter thought he was dead. That allowed him to draw his own weapon and kill the assailant, but the trooper was in the hospital for several days and lost his spleen despite the vest.

That was enough to convince me that a 45 is "adequate". 2 in the chest from a 45 and kill him or not, I'd bet he wouldn't be standing there grining and reaching for his own weapon.
---If you wouldn't take that shot with the LAST bullet in your gun, you don't have any business taking it with the FIRST.---

Edited by: JackRyann at: 12/25/02 12:36:58 am

Tac401
Administrator
(12/27/02 11:22:37 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
You got that right Jack!

Tac
TFF VMBB Email Tac

sped123
(2/16/03 8:45:20 pm)
That's a great quote Jack! Thanks.

Edited by: sped123 at: 2/17/03 11:38:04 pm

armedandsafe
V.I.P. Member
(2/18/03 11:23:20 pm)
Was sitting in on a meeting in the back room of a pizza parlor one time, when some dudes tried to hold it up. They were real unhappy when they found out that the meeting was the local NRA grassroots group.

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.