1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
That doesn’t bode well.

·
Registered
436 Posts
NOYLJ is a frequent contributor to this forum and others who seems to have a special and unique insight into the current primer shortage and other arcane workings of the world in general.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Because of all the factory ammo being produced by the dozens and dozens of ammo manufactures, plus what primers that are trickled out and snatched up by all the hand loading hoarders plus the gaugers who are reselling primers online at exorbitant prices. As an example, both Federal and CCI/Blazer have one billion dollars worth of back order that they claim will take a year to produce and fill. That is just two major ammo manufactures. There’s also Winchester, Blackhills, Weatherby, Norma, Lapua, and not sure about Remington, plus Sierra, Nosler, and Barnes had decided to sell factory loaded ammo, and one of the largest purchasers of ammo, the U.S. Military. I am sure I missed some other brands, but the point is that they are all vying for the same primers, plus add the dwindling supply of gunpowders, bullets, and cartridge cases.

I have read on this forum and other firearms related forums of people complaining about why these primer manufactures just make more by purchasing more equipment. Understand that the equipment is custom built and that is a substantial investment that when or if this scamdemic panic buying were to come to an end, the primer producers will have machines that will no longer be needed and it’s not something commonly use, like say a CNC milling machine. The same goes for bullets, cartridge cases, gunpowder. This would be hundreds of millions of dollars spent on what could just be short term usage.

Referring to the exorbitant prices people are willing to pay, I have a brick of Federal 210M and brick of CCI BR-2 that a friend suggested I could sell for $200 each, which I am sure someone would pay for. I’m not sure if I want to a gauge, but it is tempting. I also just traded a brick of Winchester Standard SRP for a brick of Remington 7-1/2 SRP to load 100, 17 Remington for a friend of a friend who is suffering from cancer. I am sure I could get $200 for those 7-1/2 primers, but those are for my 6mmPPC, and those Remington primers are more valuable to me then a pot of gold.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm here. By "popular" demand:
Why is there a supply/ammunition shortage?
1) I can agree with the causes in the article.
2) It happened 4 years ago and 12 years ago (not sure about 8 years ago).
3) The control freaks, in their love of control, shut down everyone, including businesses, for two weeks. Now, it is over 6 months later and I am still waiting for businesses to really be OPEN and producing. Did you vote for these autocrats?
4) BLM/antifa and the increase in all folks buying guns.
5) Elections have consequences
6) Government orders are probably again going to rise at an exponential rate. Remember with Obummer when every federal group, whether they had armed personnel or not, were ordering millions of rounds of ammunition?

Just remember, as you think about me, I am NOT in the market for supplies (and haven't been in over 10 years as I stocked up when supplies were high and prices low), so the shortage has nothing to do with me and I hope you all the best.
Unless I hold a gun to your head, it isn't price gouging, but supply and demand.

·
Registered
337 Posts
This truly was a perfect storm of events to put the kibosh on new and occasional reloaders. In March of this year, I was making out my yearly birthday discount order from Midway, and there were no primers to be found. The shortage was already beginning. Then just as my discount was about to expire in early April, Midway got a shipment of primers, and I semi-stocked up. For me, that was an extra thousand of each type of primer I use. Through the summer the supply seemed to rebound just a little around here, but by July, it seemed to be on the decline again. Then the last COVID surge hit, it began looking like Biden would win, and there was a possibility of losing the Senate as well. That was the death knell to reloaders. If you didn’t already have what you needed or snatch up what was left at higher prices, you were just SOL. Hopefully, the COVID vaccine might bring manufacturing and distribution back to full capacity soon; but even after that happens, there’s a mile long backlog of orders by ammunition makers and reloaders that were caught without. I’m afraid that it will be some time before I can just go to a gun store, and they’ll just have what I’m looking for.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Mr_Flintstone,
Don’t put to much faith in that vaccine because there is already talk about a COVID 2021 virus strain. This whole Were The Mask thing is bull crap in my opinion. If the population is not exposed to the virus, then antibodies will not take hold in the population a large, and this will only put the population at a higher risk when COVID-19 mutants. This was germ warfare perpetrated by the CCP because of Trumps policies and sanctions against the CCP. Biden is more then willing to kneel to the CCP if it means that he gets into power, plus the CCP doesn’t care about its population other further enslave their own population, the CCP’s continued belligerence to their neighbors is proof of that. Even if Trump is finally declared the winner, the violence here in the U.S. by the radicle pro communist left will increase exponentially, which will just cause more panic buying of firearms ammo, loading components. Honestly, I do not see ammo and components shortages ending. This is America’s most dangerous time in are history since the American Civil War.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Mr_Flintstone,
Don’t put to much faith in that vaccine because there is already talk about a COVID 2021 virus strain. This whole Were The Mask thing is bull crap in my opinion. If the population is not exposed to the virus, then antibodies will take hold in the population a large, and this will only put the population at a higher risk when COVID-19 mutants. This was germ warfare perpetrated by the CCP because of Trumps policies and sanctions against the CCP. Biden is more then willing to kneel to the CCP if it means that he gets into power, plus the CCP doesn’t care about its population other further enslave their own population, the CCP’s continued belligerence to their neighbors is proof of that. Even if Trump is finally declared the winner, the violence here in the U.S. by the radicle pro communist left will increase exponentially, which will just cause more panic buying of firearms ammo, loading components. Honestly, I do not see ammo and components shortages ending. This is America’s most dangerous time in are history since the American Civil War.
Covid has already mutated to other animals (besides bats and humans). That's what viruses do--mutate. Day in and day out. Little "survival of the fittest" machines.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts