The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled upon some "orange tip" 62 grain steel core tracer bullets. I was thinking about picking them up for reloading but it also says requires a 1:7 twist. Why is that and what happens if I loaded them and shoot through my rifle which has a 1:9 twist?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
They won't stabilize properly, so you won't have any accuracy.

The twist rate needed for a particular bullet is actually based on the length of the bullet, not the weight. But when you are comparing copper-covered lead bits of exactly the same diameter, extra length means extra weight, so we know that a 69 grain .224" bullet is longer than a 55 grain .224" bullet. It's easier to talk about weight.

However, steel is less dense than lead, so a 62 grain .224" steel-core bullet is longer than a 69 grain .224" lead-core bullet. And the longer bullet needs a faster twist rate to stabilize properly.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You don't indicate your location but they are not legal in some states -
In california it is a felony to possess the ammo or the bullets themselves --
A felony count for each one --

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
If marked by the military, orange tips indicate they are tracers. Not desirable in most cases. Shoot them at any of our ranges down here and you're out for good. The 1:7 was initially designed especially to stabilize the longer tracer rounds. The backend is longer to hold the phosphorous to give it the red glow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.