The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm prejudiced. I love the .41 mag round and my Blackhawk. But why hasn't Ruger or somebody else built a semi-auto around this caliber? Granted the case would need be modified, but it seems like a no-brainer to me. :confused:

·
Registered
887 Posts
No need to modify the case. There is/was a 41 magnum semi auto
pistol. The Desert Eagle was chambered in 41 mag for several
years.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Didn't know that. Thanks. Any idea why it didn't become more popular?
Unfortunately, the .41 seems to be a niche cartridge. There are those of us that love it, and a lot of folks who never heard of it. I wish I'd had the money when I first saw a Desert Eagle in .41 Magnum. I think it is the best handgun hunting round( in my Blackhawk) and if I had an S&W Mod. 57 or 58, it would be a great carry gun it my opinion.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Didn't know that. Thanks. Any idea why it didn't become more popular?
Probably because including yourself and Flintlock, there are only 17 people
worldwide that are huge fans of the 41 Magnum:)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I am a big fan of the 41 Mag. The only reason I have 44 Blackhawks is because I wanted a New Model and a 3 screw of all the main calibers.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Which is not a bad thing because everytime that gun sales have soared and reloading components are bought up, I can walk into most gun shops and there is ALWAYS .41 stuff on the shelves. I am glad there is only 17 of us that like them.

I own two. One new model Blackhawk, and one 3 Screw Blackhawk.

Also, I am glad I don't live next to stingray because my 41's would be over at his place all the time. :D

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I have a Blackhawk and Redhawk in .41 mag. I'd love to have a Desert eagle in that caliber.

·
Premium Member
13,254 Posts
The lady of the house owns an Interarms Virginia Dragoon .41 Magnum single action. It's a 7.5" barrel variation, blued and so forth, and is also her deer gun. Kinda interesting because while old Interarms ads listed the Dragoon in .41 Magnum, very few seem to have been sold here in the US. Though marketed by Interarms I believe hers was manufactured by Hammerli.

·
Registered
741 Posts
never heard of a .41. learn something new every day

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Ok, I'm prejudiced. I love the .41 mag round and my Blackhawk. But why hasn't Ruger or somebody else built a semi-auto around this caliber? Granted the case would need be modified, but it seems like a no-brainer to me. :confused:
Coonan Arms used to make a semi-auto .41 Mag. that was on a 1911 chassis. It took a standard rimmed .41 Mag. case that didn't need any modifications. A .41 caliber semi-auto that had an unusual case design was the .41 Action Express, similar in size and power to a .40 SW, but the case had a 9MM sized rim, rebated like the .284 WCF. The guns wwere offered as a packege deal with both .41AE barrels and magazines, and 9MM barrels and magazines, and different recoil springs. A couple of years later the .40 SW came out and this became history.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
never heard of a .41. learn something new every day
Seriously? I know it's not a highly popular round - which makes it a little pricey retail - but it's one of the best large caliber rounds available. Check out the ballistics on it.

One other consideration - since there aren't many revolvers produced or sold in this caliber (compared to other calibers) they hold their value better than most more common guns. I paid $570 in 2000 for my .41 Blackhawk, and I could easily sell it today for $500-$600.

Besides the usual outlets, here's some hot loads available from BuffaloBore: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=18

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The .41 Mag is a fine caliber, but to say it's one of the best is stretching it.
It's marginal between the .357 and the .44, by factory Federal Ammo specs for example, in all catagories of energy and downrange ballistics.
So it's only marginally better than the .357, but not quite as powerful as the
.44, especially from a hunting standpoint.
It was also the late comer to the party, hence it's lack of popularity.

·
Banned
701 Posts
Coonan Arms used to make a semi-auto .41 Mag. that was on a 1911 chassis. It took a standard rimmed .41 Mag. case that didn't need any modifications. A .41 caliber semi-auto that had an unusual case design was the .41 Action Express, similar in size and power to a .40 SW, but the case had a 9MM sized rim, rebated like the .284 WCF. The guns wwere offered as a packege deal with both .41AE barrels and magazines, and 9MM barrels and magazines, and different recoil springs. A couple of years later the .40 SW came out and this became history.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
I remember them days. 41AE hit 1150fps with a 210 grain projectile. Then came along the weaker 40 with a lighter 180 grain launched 150 fps slower.

Marketing and hype was all the 41AE was in need of. 40 would not have even been thought of if the 41AE recieved the same marketing blitz and hype by the rags back in the pre interwebs days...

·
Registered
438 Posts
I dunno about 18, in my family alone there are 3 41 mag owners. Part of the reson the 41 didn't become more widespread is very few comercial loading were ever offered, unlike the 357 and 44.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Rimmed cartridge not really suited for semi-auto. 10MM is 41 mag power and it was designed for a semi-auto. I have the 41 mag and won't be giving it up till I turn room temperature and I want the 10MM but haven't been able to afford it. I hope I can get one before I get to old to shoot it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I thought I read that a 10mm was very close to a 41 magnum. Glock's been doing it for awhile now and Colt I believe had the Delta semi.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts