Why no One Should Live in a City

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by English Bob, Jul 26, 2020.

1. English Bob

English Bob Active Member

It's an exciting day. I finally got to shoot my Ruger Precision Rifle with my new scope, from my new shooting platform. Unfortunately, it started raining after about 10 rounds, and I quit after 20. Still, very nice.

I only intended the roof to block the sun, but it does a good job with rain, as long as there isn't much wind.

I was out there long enough to get the rifle zeroed with Sellier & Bellot FMJ. I figured I would start with the cheap stuff. I saw a guy on Youtube hitting a small gong over and over at 656 yards with it, so I assumed it would be good enough to start out with.

Now I feel like putting another shed next to it to expand the dry area and provide a place for chairs.

07 26 20 Ruger Precision Rifle with Gen II scope in shooting shed 01 small.jpg

07 26 20 Ruger Precision Rifle with Gen II scope in shooting shed 02 small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2020
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

There's a target down there?

m77user, BlackEagle, flboots and 4 others like this.

3. English Bob

I think so. I went out with two and came home with one.

I did not photograph it because I didn't feel like stopping in the rain. It was not impressive anyway. I was adjusting the scope over and over, so it's not like I produced two nice 10-round groups.

I am new to shooting prone. I really need more practice, but it rains every time I start shooting. I bought most of the world's supply of .17 HMR this week, so I'm hoping to get some practice in eventually.

I am told that new guns take a while to start shooting well. Don't know if it's true. I certainly hope so, because I had some nasty flyers today. I would be happy to hear that most of it was the gun and not me.

4. sparkyv

sparkyv Well-Known Member

Your shooting 17HMR out to 650 yds? I must be misunderstanding something here...

5. English Bob

I bought Sellier & Bellot 6.5 Creedmoor because I saw a guy shooting it very accurately at 656 yards. I am going to use .17 HMR to improve my prone technique.

6. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

Just shooting is a great stress remover. Nice looking rifle and range.

7. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

That is an excellent idea!! For years I have considered building a "shooting shed" about 8 X 12 or 10 X 12 with a big swing out window facing down range. I keep talking myself out of it and just bought a patio table umbrella. It's more for the sun than the rai.

BlackEagle and English Bob like this.
  8. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This is our rifle rang at my club. It is partially enclosed. You can shoot in the rain. Our pistol range is right next door and also partially enclosed. We have a fan in the pistol range. No heat but some guys bring a heater on the real cold days.

upload_2020-7-27_9-38-24.png

9. Smoke

Smoke Well-Known Member

My 6.5 Creedmoor took about 100 rounds before the groups tightened up, now it can hold a .5" group at 100 yds even with my bad eyes.

10. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

That's the way it usually goes with gun safes and loading benches. You eventually wish you had at least twice the space you started out with. :rolleyes:

That's a nice looking range. Congratulations.

pdkfishing, English Bob and joe45c like this.
  11. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yep. No more room in my gun safes. If I find a drilling or double rifle I like and can afford, will have to get another one. Then I'll need some more guns to fill it up. Can't have a safe with only one gun in it. :D

howlnmad and BlackEagle like this.