The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clarification. why is there so much difference in idea betweent he manufactures on what shell holder holds what shell base?

IE.. i wanted to finally play with 416 rigby tonight. started getting stuff setup.. then it dawned on my.. UGH.. no rcbs # 37 shell holder
i checked some other large cases i had ( 458's 375HH..e tc which all happen to be #4 rcbs or R5 lee.. ) then i though. gee i didn't try 45-70.. dug around as I knew i had a single lee shell holder for 45-70 which is an R8.. lee ( and a 14 RCBS )... found it.. and poof.. 416 rigby fits a R8 lee fine.. so i go online and find lee R8 dDOES list 45-70 AND 416 rigby.. however in rcbs.. it's a #37 and a #14 for 416rigby / 45-70

that got me to looking more and found LOTS of examples of 1 manufacture that listed a group of cases for a shell holder.. and another manufacture broke that group up.. etc.

what gives. how come a lee r8 fits a a 416 rigby.. but a rcbs 14 says it won't... when BOTH fit 45-70 ???

like i said. once i looked. i found plenty of situations like this wen xrefing shell holders.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I suspect the simple answer is that since there is no shell holder 'standard' like for example SAAMI for ammo, that one maker has little or no interest in what numbers their competition assign to things?

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suspect the simple answer is that since there is no shell holder 'standard' like for example SAAMI for ammo, that one maker has little or no interest in what numbers their competition assign to things?
i think you are missing my point. I'm not wondering why rcbs calls their 44mag holder a 'x' and lee calls it a 'y'.

what i'm wondering is why one manufacture says shell holder 'y' fits these 3 cases. yet another maker says that 'x' fits 2 of those cases and 'w' fits the 3rd.

ie. if the shell holder dimension fits a case head 'family' it seems like it doesn't matter whose name is stenceled on the shellholder. rcbs or lee or hornady. ie.. how come lee knows it's 45-70 shell holder ALSO fits 416rigby. yet rcbs says it's 45-70 shell holder does NOT fit 416 rigby, and instead lists another. when in fact. it fits it perfectly. as a matter of fact. i feelt he 416 rigby fit the 45-70 shell holder BETTER than 45-70 did...

that's my 'wondering' issue.

·
Registered
17,297 Posts
I've noticed that. I have both 30 Carbine and 32 ACP shellholders. The 32 actually works better on the 30 brass. Holds it tighter. Why? Who knows.

·
Registered
550 Posts
You are correct - I completely misunderstood your question -

To your point - I dunno -lol

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are correct - I completely misunderstood your question -

To your point - I dunno -lol
yeah.. it's weird.

i did mor elooking today.. just using rcbs and lee xreff charts. thare are at least 5 or 6 instances where one maker lists a # that fits a bunch of bases.. and the other maker uses a few different holders for those same bases... when one holder SHOULD work..e tc.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
i think you are missing my point. I'm not wondering why rcbs calls their 44mag holder a 'x' and lee calls it a 'y'.

what i'm wondering is why one manufacture says shell holder 'y' fits these 3 cases. yet another maker says that 'x' fits 2 of those cases and 'w' fits the 3rd.

ie. if the shell holder dimension fits a case head 'family' it seems like it doesn't matter whose name is stenceled on the shellholder. rcbs or lee or hornady. ie.. how come lee knows it's 45-70 shell holder ALSO fits 416rigby. yet rcbs says it's 45-70 shell holder does NOT fit 416 rigby, and instead lists another. when in fact. it fits it perfectly. as a matter of fact. i feelt he 416 rigby fit the 45-70 shell holder BETTER than 45-70 did...

that's my 'wondering' issue.
Now I see your question. That's a good reason not to mix alcahol with product manufacturing. :D

·
Registered
555 Posts
Best thing to do IMO is buy "lots" of shellholders off auction sites and double check a few. Sometimes you end up having one that fits really great and it isn't even for that specific caliber. I do have a 3 or 4 page printout of what is supposed to work, but after that I just start looking for something close and trying stuff. I buy up lots of extra holders for decent prices just to have them around.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i look for shell holders at gun shows and pawn shops.. etc. get lucky now and then. i see gander has clearanced a few i'm going to check out at lunch..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts